British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

Purposely leaving stuff out of Arrowhead and then selling it as DLC? I honestly thought much better of BIS. $10 for a handful of new troops, cars and heli's?

I'll stick to the community based addons. Thanks, but I'll pass.

Purposely? You are joking, right?

I can't believe people who know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about, can come out with such poop!

Pass. However, please do not spread false information to the air. As a matter of fact, BAF is still under development and none of it was ever present in Arrowhead nor was ever planned to be...

Your statement is not worth a cent (or $10).

Purposely leaving stuff out of Arrowhead and then selling it as DLC? I honestly thought much better of BIS. $10 for a handful of new troops, cars and heli's?

Edited by Maruk

And you have proof for this? Are you a secret part of the BIS team? No, thought not. :rolleyes:

COuldn't bis get some kind of deal with steam so peoples owning A2 and OA get the possibility of installing A2 as a "DLC" to OA? that would make things simpler than having to meddle with two installs.

Well, if the campaign is decent (I dont expect CWC/Red Harvest length, but i do want the quality) ill buy it for sure. If it isnt the price seems a bit steep to me.

Though overall it seems to have been done pretty well, didnt expect new(Small) engine features and voices.

Edited by NeMeSiS

Purposely leaving stuff out of Arrowhead and then selling it as DLC?

The next one coming up with such glorious yet stupid false accusations will face the consequences.

I have enough of this crap now. No one ever promised you that the British units will be included in Operation Arrowhead.

I honestly thought much better of BIS. $10 for a handful of new troops, cars and heli's?
And a campaign. And what do you think from where the "handful of new troops, cars and heli's" are coming from? Probably you think they press two buttons and the stuff pops up?
Okay. It's not that anyone is forcing you to purchase the product.

People tend to completely disregard the new voices.

Voices are a crapload of work.

And take a crapload of time.

Time BIS deserves money for if you want the goods.

Unlike Sethos/Shep who sounds like a spoiled brats - I love the campaigns, all the missions, and the entire framework BIS lays out. Few games have given me so much enjoyment and VALUE - and this is as a 25-year gamer talking who's stuck at home with a terminal illness.

I'd suggest people who complain about $10 DLC (especially one that actually adds value and isn't the crap Ubisoft/EASports shovels out) - to go get some perspective. You need to step away from the computer.

Regarding the Eotech holosight, we obtained some pictures showing L85A2 with these sights (however, I have to admit the photos might have depicted some unique setups), and we agreed on it as on a good representation for an assault rifle with a collimator sight.

We chose SUSAT because we simply liked the idea of bringing it to the game. We felt that providing different optics would be refreshing compared to reusing the same ACOG optics again.

AN/PEQ-2s were used as the default laser pointers in order to save some research and development time. The other types look almost the same to a common user, so we decided to re-use the existing data in this case and focus on something more substantial (like making the obsolete SUSAT optics ;) ).

While I understand the concerns regarding the DLC's accuracy, I have to say that it is more important for the BAF DLC team to deliver the bug-free product with interesting campaign and missions than a super-accurate addon which would only enrich the mission editor. I am sure the compromises we made in the realism won't harm the experience from the playable content.

While I understand that you're trying to make something new and refreshing, the least you could do is add units with accurate loadouts in addition to the units you're producing for A2:BAF.

I say its the least you could do because you're charging me $10 for a package of addons. Might as well be some proper ones in there, even if they're not in the main campaign.

Looks good to me, I'll likely get this. I would definitely purchase DLC which brings A2 assets up to OA spec, though!

What i would like next is an adaptation of ArmA2 content up to OA level: Enterable buildungs, IR stuff etc.

@Maruk, first of all i'd like to say thanks for replying to many peoples questions in the thread, can't think of any other company that would have staff (let alone the CEO) answer peoples questions. And you been online like all day man! Have you had a break lol?

Personally I will be getting the DLC, if nothing else its always nice having a decent amount of brit kit in the game before any extra mods are added (like UKF/RKSL etc). Always liked BIS's finish on the stuff they make too, so regardless of any inacurracies which with the current state of things for the UK Armed forces is kinda understandable, the work is always really nicely done.

Having even a couple new missions is great for me, i dont really play MP and rarely DL any user made missions so any new missions is always good!

Looking forward to brit voices too!

I am so angry and disappointed in BIS. Why would you announce this so early?! Now I have to wait more than a month for this. How could you do this to me? The waiting will be excruciating! :yay:

Kidding aside, this looks really good and I can't wait. :)

Yes, BIS' default texture work is shameful and they tend to miss a lot of details on their units. I suggest you check out RKSL. Sounds, again, BIS have never ever been good with sounds - I can't play the game with default sounds because they are so bad.

And last campaign? Don't care, played all BIS' products since the OFP days and have never, ever completed a single one of their campaigns.

I love BIS with all my heart but their units, sounds and campaigns aren't very good. The quality comes from the community.

I asked the question earlier about the sounds. I read that BIS went to a British base and recorded all the actual sounds for the equipment for this DLC. Is that true?

Excellent job if you did.

While I understand that you're trying to make something new and refreshing, the least you could do is add units with accurate loadouts in addition to the units you're producing for A2:BAF.

I say its the least you could do because you're charging me $10 for a package of addons. Might as well be some proper ones in there, even if they're not in the main campaign.

ArmA has a fictional conflict and many fictional factions.

It is understandable that some people want accuracy but Maruk has already stated the conflict is set in 2012. The British Army (in the real world) has seen so many changes to it's kit since Iraq and Afghanistan started who could have guessed the changes there? Christ I doubt anyone would have seen the 432 getting a new lease of life.

So sometimes a little artistic licence is never far from the truth.

Not to be a naysayer or anything, but in order for me to actually buy it and try to convince my friends to buy it, I'm going to need to see features that will have significant effect on gameplay - For example vehicles/weapons that can perform roles that currently no in-game vehicle is capable of. Basically something that can really extend the type of missions that can be made in the game (that you currently can't do with simple scripting and addons).

Sorry to not be excited by a few extra units and a campaign, but single player missions and the number of factions is not why I bought Arma 2 and more importantly Operation Arrowhead.

But who knows, maybe I'll be surprised by what eventually is released and actually do see some things that will make me want to buy it, but even then having it "good enough for me to want it" is not enough - It needs to be good enough for me to be able to convince everyone I play with to also buy it or else I won't have much use for it even if it's the best thing in the world - Hopefully you do have a good way of addressing this issue, about which I would love to hear more!

All in all I'm glad to see BIS developers actually try to read through the spam here and provide useful information.

The obvious way is to create new classes in the default game which reference vanilla units and then make the DLC a replacement pack for those. Anybody who doesn't have it will just see US Army units instead (their loss).

Quoted from Sethos:

Yes, BIS' default texture work is shameful and they tend to miss a lot of details on their units. I suggest you check out RKSL. Sounds, again, BIS have never ever been good with sounds - I can't play the game with default sounds because they are so bad.

And last campaign? Don't care, played all BIS' products since the OFP days and have never, ever completed a single one of their campaigns.

I love BIS with all my heart but their units, sounds and campaigns aren't very good. The quality comes from the community.

It's very easy for people to comment on how BIS goes about making sounds. I think if you spent 1 week in their sound department your opinions would change drastically.

And what, you never played cold war crisis or resistance?

That makes me sad inside.

Im definitely buying this! Thanks BIS For all your hard work!

$10 is a meal, so this is such a steal! :yay:

Wow this is awesome.

I never buy DLC for games, but I'm a total ArmA fanboy so you bet I'm buying this :D

Quoted from Sethos:

It's very easy for people to comment on how BIS goes about making sounds. I think if you spent 1 week in their sound department your opinions would change drastically.

And what, you never played cold war crisis or resistance?

That makes me sad inside.

Your comment makes me sad, he is comparing people like Rock, who work in their own time, using their own resources and pretty much zero budget (i.e not that of a dev studio) to make their sounds, that in some cases are better than that of BIS. Yet seemingly your giving them no praise/support for what they do.

Your comment makes me sad, he is comparing people like Rock, who work in their own time, using their own resources and pretty much zero budget (i.e not that of a dev studio) to make their sounds, that in some cases are better than that of BIS. Yet seemingly your giving them no praise/support for what they do.

No, I have worked with several sound modders in the past, and I fully appreciate and love their sound mods. What I am saying, is that some of you seem to think BIS are just amateurs.

I'll have you know, they record military aircraft in -10c, battling through blizzards, whilst we sit in our warm homes. They put a huge amount of effort into all their sounds.

That doesn't mean they aim for perfect realism like sound modders, it mean they achieve whatever goal they have set themselves. They deserve credit for that.

Not the usual trash talk about how BIS suck at everything.

I don't get why some people are so butthurt about all of this. It's not like they removed the ability to mod the game and are forcing you to buy the DLC. If you'd rather not pay money for it and would rather download one of the British troop mods out right now, nobody is stopping you. It was never promised in Operation Arrowhead and God forbid they actually want money for something they worked on. I'm sure any of you who have ever been in the game development business know making a video game takes a lot of time and a lot of money. BIS pays employees to make this content as a bonus to you. 10 bucks is not a huge amount of money.

Hell you paid 40 dollars for 3 maps, the US army, some new vehicles, and generic middle eastern factions that reuse materials from Arma 2 yet are flabbergasted when they are essentially releasing a new faction that is designed for use with both original Arma 2 content and OA content for 10 dollars along with a campaign? I suppose OA was a waste too, hell modders have made desert maps, they've made FLIR, new weapons, why even buy the expansion. You people need to calm down and think about what you're saying.

It's worth reading loads of pages of moaning just for W0lles rebuttals. :cool:

Only ever purchased one DLC which was for Dragon Age. But really, BIS only has to say DLC and the price tag, and it's sold here. They don't even have to tell me what it is. Just, a click to buy button.

Really looking forward to the Brit invasion of Takistan, (indeed, am looking forward to getting my copy of OA ina couple fo weeks- my current system is a bit weak for OA). Had a bit of abreak from Chernarus of late and can't wait to get back in to the game. Had 400+ hours out of Arma 2 so far, had a few hours on it last night and still as good as it was the first time I played, well, obviously better 1.07 an all that. But having played OA demo, and now have BIS British forces to play with...oh yes indeedy. At 35 not many games give me that lightness in the stomach feeling anymore, but I got that 9 year old at chrimbo feeling.

Great job on the pending release of BAF. Hope it works out in terms of cost effectiveness community reception that it's worth you doing many more. Because lets face it folks, we know we get quality with BIS. In terms of game play, usablity, lastablity and communication with the community. Where else do you get the CEO, lead programmers, and other members of the dev team jumping in on thier forums? This is one company that does indeed deserve lasting support from its game community.

I don't get why some people are so butthurt about all of this.

A community that has been spoiled by BIS and, mostly itself, suddenly can't come to shell out a meagre $10 (or what have you) for more support from BIS.

Edited by Big Dawg KS