British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

Hope we'd get a french campaign one day, with french units, french troops, vehicles and weapons.

The day this happens, I can ensure you that BIS will become the new french god here.

Regards,

TB

*Joke*

That will be over quickly.

"Sir they are attacking, what do we do?!"

"I dont know, i give up"

:D

Yes right, i mean, the price isn't the issue here... what is just 9€ for a normal Worker these days? Nothing.

Having a nice evening at Cinema with GirlFriend costs me always around 30-40€ here in Germany for 2 persons reserved places lodge + coke, +food, etc.

Ok the Sex afterwards is priceless, however the DLC price is fair.

But what i don't see here is the real benefit gameplay wise. If there would be at least something new besides the units and a campaign, i would surely invest those 9€....

As for this DLC's campaign. What do you actually expect? OA has 6 missions that can be completed in one or two evenings. It took a year to develop and costed the price of a full game.

This won't be anything bigger than Eagle Wings. The "campaign", while fun, was extremely short - two missions only, no more than 2 - 2.5 hours of gameplay.

And you know all of this because you are secretly a member of the BIS team? Technically, OA has 24 missions in it when you play it coop. And that is not actually true now that I think about it either. It has even more than that because there are two different end missions depending on how well you did at the level before and there is another part that is the same too. So I would say that makes 38 missions spread out between 9 different levels (not counting the intro or outro cutscenes). I wish they made it so that you could pick which guy you play as in the single player levels though.

Yes right, i mean, the price isn't the issue here... what is just 9€ for a normal Worker these days? Nothing.

Having a nice evening at Cinema with GirlFriend costs me always around 30-40€ here in Germany for 2 persons reserved places lodge + coke, +food, etc.

Ok the Sex afterwards is priceless, however the DLC price is fair.

But what i don't see here is the real benefit gameplay wise. If there would be at least something new besides the units and a campaign, i would surely invest those 9€....

.. Are you saying you want sex after the game??

Ahmen no seriously.

From what i see we get this for the 9€

A load of britt stuff - fair duce.

o Extension of the Engineer's role - More effective use of engineers

o Ability for players to effectively operate and command artillery and mortar units - Hopefully propper firesupport

Come on, 30€ is very cheap for a game the size of OA.

I don't have a problem at all with DLC. 9€ for a small campaign and a few coop missions + the potential that the new units bring seems more than fair to me.

What i would like next is an adaptation of ArmA2 content up to OA level: Enterable buildungs, IR stuff etc.

Exclusive transcript of the new British dialogue from the opening scene of the British DLC campaign.

Somewhere in Takistan, 2012

A pilot, just off on a mission, runs past, and dashes into a Nissen hut

The squadron leader enters an RAF officers' mess and takes off his helmet

Bovril: Morning, squadron leader.

Squadron Leader: What-ho, Squiffy.

Bovril: How was it?

Squadron Leader: Top hole. Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.

Bovril: Er, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, squadron leader.

Squadron Leader: It's perfectly ordinary banter, Squiffy. Bally Jerry ... pranged his kite right in the how's yer father ... hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.

Bovril: No, I'm just not understanding banter at all well today. Give us it slower.

Squadron Leader: Banter's not the same if you say it slower, Squiffy.

Bovril: Hold on, then. (shouts) Wingco!

Wingco: Yes!

Bovril: Bend an ear to the squadron leader's banter for a sec, would you?

Wingco: Can do.

Bovril: Jolly good.

Wingco: Fire away.

Squadron Leader: (draws a deep breath and looks slightly uncertain, then starts even more deliberately then before) Bally Jerry ... pranged his kite ... right in the how's your father ... hairy blighter ... dicky-birdied ... ... feathered back on his Sammy ... took a waspy ... flipped over on his Betty Harper's ... and caught his can in the Bertie.

Wingco: ... No, don't understand that banter at all.

Squadron Leader: Something up with my banter, chaps?

A siren goes. The door bursts open and an out-of-breath young pilot rushes in in his flying gear.

Pilot: Bunch of monkeys on your ceiling, sir! Grab your egg and fours and let's get the bacon delivered.

General incomprehension. They look at each other

Wingco: Do you understand that?

Squadron Leader: No, didn't get a word of it.

Wingco: Sorry old man, we don't understand your banter.

Pilot: You know ... bally ten-penny ones dropping in the custard ... (searching for the words) um ... Charlie Choppers chucking a handful ...

Wingco: No, no ... sorry.

Bovril: Say it a bit slower, old chap.

Pilot: Slower banter, sir?

Wingco: Ra-ther!

Pilot: Um ... sausage squad up the blue end!

Squadron Leader: No, still don't get it.

Pilot: Um ... cabbage crates coming over the briny?

Squadron Leader: No.

Wingco, Pilot and Bovril: No, no ...

Stock film of an enemy bombing raid.

Voice Over: But by then it was too late. The first cabbage crates hit the British Base on July 7th. That was just the beginning...

Just a bit of light relief chaps. I am relly looking forward to the British DLC and I will be standing in line to buy it. I also agree that a challenger would be nice to have. Not necessarily the campaign But it would be usefull to have for any additional missions made in the editor.

I have removed all the pointless crap here about brits teamkilling aka friendly fire. If you feel to discuss this then find yourself another place. This thread is about the British DLC and nothing else.

The rants about "community splitting" and "The DLC should have been included in the OA release" I won't even comment.

Im a bit split by this and havent decided if im gonna buy or not. Sure i like new stuff for the game and are willing to buy it. But as others says its kinda going to the evil/dark side. Where players have to buy small expansions for the game. And there is a lot of bad examples of games going that way. Just try asking online roleplaying gamers.

I always liked the BIS way of giving something on the run and when a major update/engine rework is done a expansion or new game comes along like OFP:resistance or operation arrowhead. But now after only 2 months with a new game we have to buy another expansion!! Thats giving me some bad thoughts about where the game is going. A game i have played since the very early OFP days

While I understand the concerns regarding the DLC's accuracy, I have to say that it is more important for the BAF DLC team to deliver the bug-free product with interesting campaign and missions than a super-accurate addon which would only enrich the mission editor. I am sure the compromises we made in the realism won't harm the experience from the playable content.

Hmm a bad compromise if you ask me. You want us to but a expansion for the game but dont want to take the time to make it accurate?? Thats a great sales argument!!

So let me ask all of you anti-DLC folks a question. If OA was 50 bucks instead of 40 and came with all of the content included in this DLC pack would you still have bought it?

As for this DLC's campaign. What do you actually expect? OA has 6 missions that can be completed in one or two evenings. It took a year to develop and costed the price of a full game.

This won't be anything bigger than Eagle Wings. The "campaign", while fun, was extremely short - two missions only, no more than 2 - 2.5 hours of gameplay.

Maybe BIS held off on releasing it so there would be more value in the original arma 2... I'm sure they could have created more than 6 missions in that time and also now that the main bugs are fixed with the game they can start focusing on extra content more. The first half of the year after arma 2 was released was probably completely focussed on getting it working properly.

Exclusive transcript of the new British dialogue from the opening scene of the British DLC campaign.

bla bla bla

Voice Over: But by then it was too late. The first cabbage crates hit the British Base on July 7th. That was just the beginning...

Brilliant!

Somewhere in Takistan, 2012

A pilot, just off on a mission, runs past, and dashes into a Nissen hut........

That's freaking hilarious. That's what I feel like watching Kitchen Nightmares on BBC... :)

I just saw the updated feature list. That's a lot of stuff for only $10. I look forward to more DLC in the near future too.

I have removed all the pointless crap here about brits teamkilling aka friendly fire. If you feel to discuss this then find yourself another place. This thread is about the British DLC and nothing else.

The rants about "community splitting" and "The DLC should have been included in the OA release" I won't even comment.

So will you comment on the Challenger situation, or rather, the Abrams situation we've been stuck in since Operation Flashpoint? :p

Seems there will be a full set of Paras in MTP, DPM and Desert DPM. Definitely getting some value out of the units in that case, especially with British voices.

Noticed there's a CWS Image Intensifier (des DPM pic). Will there be a VIPIR 2+ TWS as well?

In case Edge is still reading. Suggestion for the minimi:

Take the heat-shield off the top of the current M249 in OA (class M249_EP1) and you'll have a fairly decent L110A3 under the FIST upgrade program, that'll be much more accurate to an issued weapon than the current model you have depicting a L110A1/L110A2 (shown in the pic of the temperate DPM blokes).

The A1 and A2 don't have a heat-shield like M249s do, nor do they have picatinny rails.

Price is good. Quantity and quality is good.

It's all good...

And you know all of this because you are secretly a member of the BIS team? Technically, OA has 24 missions in it when you play it coop. And that is not actually true now that I think about it either. It has even more than that because there are two different end missions depending on how well you did at the level before and there is another part that is the same too. So I would say that makes 38 missions spread out between 9 different levels (not counting the intro or outro cutscenes). I wish they made it so that you could pick which guy you play as in the single player levels though.

I know there is much more "hidden" content, that's not my point. I sat down, played and finished the campaign. I was like: WTF already? I expected something along OFP/Resistance campaigns, as advertised, and I was quite disappointed. OFP campaign was easily 20+ hours long, here it was about 6 hours. Should I reply it, screw up some missions, etc. just to see a few different branches? And then play it yet again in coop? OA is awesome for online gaming, with all the new content and fixes, and I don't regret a single cent spent on it, but its single player campaign was simply disappointing. Fun, but I barely sat down to it, and it was over.

Edited by Suchy_

Price is good. Quantity and quality is good.

It's all good...

Same.

Where can I get it ?

So let me ask all of you anti-DLC folks a question. If OA was 50 bucks instead of 40 and came with all of the content included in this DLC pack would you still have bought it?

Im not completly anti-DLC and as stated above i dont know if im gonna buy it yet. But yes i would have bought it for 10 bucks more if it came in the pack from the start. Because i would know what was in it.

But are you willing to buy the next 10 dlc packs for 10 bucks each?

Edited by dkraver

So will you comment on the Challenger situation, or rather, the Abrams situation we've been stuck in since Operation Flashpoint? :p

No because the Abrams is a very good tank, there's no need for any other tanks.

animated_american_flag.gif

Well seriously: Sure it would be nice if we would have an alternative but I really don't miss the Challenger (or any other MBT).

@Suchy_

May I ask you how many campaigns, or at least missions you created already? It's very easy to complain about "just 8 Missions" while you haven't done anything on your own. And to create missions the way BI makes them it takes more than just an hour in the editor and slapping some files together in a texteditor.

Edited by W0lle

[imghttp://armaholic.eu/wolle/pix/animated_american_flag.gif[/img]

Well seriously: Sure it would be nice if we would have an alternative but I really don't miss the Challenger (or any other MBT).

I miss the Leo 2 MBT... someone.. Pleeease agree :D

Edited by Placebo

I know there is much more "hidden" content, that's not my point. I sat down, played and finished the campaign. I was like: WTF already? I expected something along OFP/Resistance campaigns, as advertised, and I was quite disappointed. OFP campaign was easily 20+ hours long, here it was about 6 hours. Should I reply it, screw up some missions, etc. just to see a few different branches? And then play it yet again online? OA is awesome for online gaming, with all the new content and fixes, and I don't regret a single cent spent on it, but its single player campaign was simply disappointing.

I would say find three friends to play with online. Each one of you takes a role throughout the entire campaign and then you switch. It will be a different experience each time you play. The reason that it is so short is because it takes place in 24 hours. Those guys won't be constantly fighting the entire time. I wish it was longer too but there are ways to prolong it and make it more interesting so i'm not that upset about it. There isn't really any "hidden" content. The coop campaign was a main selling point.

animated_american_flag

You sir, are a strange chap

Some brit pics were around before arrowhead arrived...
look at the turnaround time. It's being made in just over a month, which is pretty impressive for a campaign and several units/vehicles/weapons, plus engineer enhancements.
I get the feeling this was chopped off the OA release so it could be released for us to pay for ,when in my mind , it should have been in OA to begin with.

This just means the content was in development all along and that BIS had very deliberate plans to move to this development model - I would say that yes it could have been included in OA but the RRP on that product was set low enough for it to not matter - OA + BAF DLC is still less than I paid for the frankly poor Bad Company 2.

it also means that people are only paying for the content they want rather than bloating the cost of the core release.

As to BIS vs Community made addons, I would prefer to use an official BIS addon simply for compatabilities sake - I've lost count how many addons I've tried that have caused problems because features clash, using BIS content should ensure compatability, stability and overall playabliity.

Ensuring BIS have a continuing revenue stream is also very important IMO, the support BIS provides this community with ongoing improvement and development of existing titles is 2nd to none, and is worth rewarding, I see it like this - the DLC fans get what they want (new content) and we all benefit from BIS having more funds to continue their work and allows them to continue to bring engine updates/fixes for all users without the need to hold things like that back for ArmA3

Probably gonna skip this one. If it was full British Armed Forces addon with everything British Army need to fight war on their own like tanks, trucks, assault and transport helis I would gladly pay 20-30 euros for it. Hell, even more if ArmA2-sized campaign and SP/MP missions were included. But that would make it rather full-size expansion I suppose :).

Same would go for Bundeswehr, JSDF, IDF or PLA official expansion. Imagine WW3 scenario, no beating poorly equipped guerillas but full-scale war between most powerful armies, RF Army invading Europe, PLA fighting Russian-American alliance (Force 21 anyone?), conflict between PLA and JSDF

But I think I got ahead of myself:p

Long story short: With X-BOX HUGE game small-size DLC just won't do:D

Edited by boota