British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

Looks awesome Bis, nice one. Finally a full mini British Forces Mod, and all those who complain about no Challenger 2 there is already one released by PUKF Mod Team.

Nobody complained in that sense ;) have you used that challenger 2? you can hear its engine from across the map and its not at all good quality when compared to BIS standard tanks. we are just letting BIS know that we would very much appreciate a proper working challenger 2 in future :yay:

That said, i love anything British and will be buying this DLC when its released :D

Yes, yes. A working and official Challenger tank would be really appreciated and very welcome.

All we've seen from vanilla BIS games so far have been Abrahams and russian tanks - Nothing else.

BIS games -never- had anything but the Abrahams, the M-60 and the russian tanks.

To finally receive an official variation of that, may it be the Challenger or the Leopard would really spice things up.

I'm sick of the Abrahams.

And on the pricing:

Now if it were only the campaign and the new skins/units/weapons, the 9€ would be a tad too much if there wasn't even a British tank included. The new voices though make up for that, with them, the pricing is alright.

Oh, and a question to BIS:

Do you intend to make these new voices available for player use?

To be fair, we have yet to see a full and complete unit list. I have a few gripes on the details and texture work however the thing isn't due out for another month. So hopefully if the guys at BIS get some decent and constructive feedback they may change it.

Yes, yes. A working and official Challenger tank would be really appreciated and very welcome.

All we've seen from vanilla BIS games so far have been Abrahams and russian tanks - Nothing else.

BIS games -never- had anything but the Abrahams, the M-60 and the russian tanks.

To finally receive an official variation of that, may it be the Challenger or the Leopard would really spice things up.

I'm sick of the Abrahams.

It's an Abrams, not an Abrahams. ;)

But yes, I echo your statement about the Challenger and Leopard.

Oh, and a question to BIS:

Do you intend to make these new voices available for player use?

I also would like to know this one, good question.

You may not care about these things, but others do.

And plus, look at the turnaround time. It's being made in just over a month, which is pretty impressive for a campaign and several units/vehicles/weapons, plus engineer enhancements. And seriously, 9 Euros is hardly anything. Us Brits have to pay more anyway (8 Pounds = 9.49 Euros = 12.20 Dollars), so I don't know what you're complaining about. :p

I get the feeling this was chopped off the OA release so it could be released for us to pay for ,when in my mind , it should have been in OA to begin with.

As it stands at the moment , I have a bad gut feeling for paid for DLC extras for this game

have you used that challenger 2? you can hear its engine from across the map and its not at all good quality when compared to BIS standard tanks. we are just letting BIS know that we would very much appreciate a proper working challenger 2 in future

Yes i have tried the Chally2, but i think some community stuff is well better than BIS stuff. Trust me addon making is an art and takes lots of effort, time and patience, BIS stuff will be better sometimes cos they are making a game and are getting paid for. Addon makers do it for themselves.

Where is my damn official Challenger!? I completely agree with Simon (for once :)) on this. Maybe its to avoid all the Challenger 2 vs. M1A2 garbage.

As others have said, the PUKF Chally is, as stated by themselves, not finished and released "as-is".

Edited by Hellfire257

or maybe they thought a Tank for counter insurgency missions in mountains isn't the best idea? :p

Yes i have tried the Chally2, but i think some community stuff is well better than BIS stuff. Trust me addon making is an art and takes lots of effort, time and patience, BIS stuff will be better sometimes cos they are making a game and are getting paid for. Addon makers do it for themselves.

I agree, some addons are top quality. I don't doubt for a second that any addon takes much effort and hard work.(including the Chally2 mod) but since BIS are releasing British dlc and i love tanks i thought it would be good to mention :)

Where is my damn official Challenger!? I completely agree with Simon (for once :)) on this. Maybe its to avoid all the Challenger 2 vs. M1A2 garbage.

If the Abrams (Thank you Simon) is the reason for a bloody DIFFERENT and FRESH tank not being included, I'm going to have seizure.

Bloody hell, we've been stuck with the Abrams on Blufor since OFP, I want a change.

And yes, I want a change, no, I would not like a change, I want a change.

Seriously.

Please, BIS, just give the community something to work with besides the Abrams if the Challenger doesn't fit in your DLC campaign.

Something mission makers can use without having to add tons of addons to the mission.

So finally the British/Scottish/Irish voice actors they hired to play Americans will not sound out of place. OA had too many "Americans" that didn't sound American at all, or let their native accents slide in accidentally in some lines. Some instances of that also happened in ArmA 1 and ArmA 2.

Just a small hint BIS, from now on, get voice actors who are natives and grew up in the country you're trying to depict. It works better that way and makes me less likely to go "hey that doesn't sound right at all!".

Edited by th3flyboy

I too am excited, I guess this community can never be happy. :rolleyes:

Fact is: no community is ever happy - there are whiners everywhere. Some people read "DLC" and suddenly it's the end of the world. I bet even if this mini expansion was just 1€, there would still be a considerable amount of people bawling their eyes out. Hell, a lot of the guys in this community even whine about the addons that others make for free. See what happened in the Project Reality thread for example.

At the end of the day, you can never please everyone.

Also, what Banderas said below. :)

It is interesting to see that most of those experienced in addonmaking has a much more positive approach on this package than those "average" users who didn't put two toothpicks across are bitching all around in the name of the Addonmakers.

I don't remember anyone moaning to Project Reality team to start a mod that covers area that has been done by others.

On the other hand, most community projects run for a very long period, months, even years, and getting stopped because of "lost of interest and enthusiasm" or "real-life problems" or getting burned out and/or release their addons half-completed, usually leaving them to others to finish, but don't ever get finished.

Mark me as fanboy if you want, but Marek and Team has one of the best (if not the best) positive attitude towards the gaming community, and this DLC is another proof of this, nuff said.

I too am excited, I guess this community can never be happy.

Let me once again quote from "Life of Brian"

Ex-Leper: Half a dinare for me bloody life story?

Brian: There's no pleasing some people.

Ex-Leper: That's just what Jesus said, sir.

Edited by Banderas

Aye, the Abrams does my head in - There's so many MBTs out there that would suit the

game very well and yet we only have that big pile of American manure, eugh.

You agree with me for once? Do I know you? :p

I wouldn't have thought that that would be a significant enough reason to not include one though, seeing as the forums have not seen any (or at least, many) rants about T90 vs. M1 comparisons. I reckon time would probably be the bigger aspect of the decision, if they want to make the model to the usual BIS standard then it would take a fair amount of time.

But hey, as MontyVCB said, we've not seen an official complete list yet, so there may be a Chally included yet. :D

Aye, the Abrams does my head in - There's so many MBTs out there that would suit the

game very well and yet we only have that big pile of American manure, eugh.

Yeah, we only have the Abrams... That is, if you ignore the T-90, T-72 and now the T-55 (I'll discount the T-34 for obvious reasons).

definitely looking forward to this, and its only a month away :D it'll be great to finally have the british military officially depicted in Arma II, and for only $10 its a deal as far as I'm concerned :cool:

Yeah, we only have the Abrams... That is, if you ignore the T-90, T-72 and now the T-55 (I'll discount the T-34 for obvious reasons).

Yeah but I'm thinking allied high-tech alternatives, Leopard, Challenger, Merkava etc. :P

You agree with me for once? Do I know you? :p

I wouldn't have thought that that would be a significant enough reason to not include one though, seeing as the forums have not seen any (or at least, many) rants about T90 vs. M1 comparisons. I reckon time would probably be the bigger aspect of the decision, if they want to make the model to the usual BIS standard then it would take a fair amount of time.

But hey, as MontyVCB said, we've not seen an official complete list yet, so there may be a Chally included yet. :D

Ahh but everyone can settle which is better the T-90 or the m1 abrams by putting them up against each other in game but with the challenger we'd have the same problem as in real life... we're on the same side :p lol

Thanks BIS. I will. Be getting this and hoping for more DLC with engine improvements, unit additions and any other tidbits you can put in there.

Was there a Poll for this or just something you guys had planned?

Are you planning on putting out a poll for the next DLC?

All I can say is AWESOME job. Thanks for all the patches to improve and thanks for the DLC. I know that is the way of the world and how you guys get money to eat and continue to work on this game.

Hope we'd get a french campaign one day, with french units, french troops, vehicles and weapons.

The day this happens, I can ensure you that BIS will become the new french god here.

Regards,

TB

Fact is: no community is ever happy - there are whiners everywhere. Some people read "DLC" and suddenly it's the end of the world. I bet even if this mini expansion was just 1€, there would still be a considerable amount of people bawling their eyes out. Hell, a lot of the guys in this community even whine about the addons that others make for free. See what happened in the Project Reality thread for example.

At the end of the day, you can never please everyone.

Also, what Banderas said below. :)

It's not about the price, but the general idea behind DLCs. Mainstream publishers start to release games + day 0 DLCs with content that should have been in their game from the very beginning, but was simply cut out. They sell crippled games and charge again the players who want full experience. In this case it's not that bad...yet. But it's a start in a wrong direction. What comes next, monthly fees for online gaming? Some publishers already talk about this openly, and they don't mean MMOs.

This DLC looks better than Queens Gambit to me.. the wird merc in QB were a bit... erh.. silly :S

This looks like (as meantioned) like a good and solid base to work from.

Sure loads of ppl moan about price and want everything for free.. but honestly.. Its kinda hard to make a company / firm run by having them make free stuff. BIS needs food too guys.

Keep it up BIS, this looks good.

ow... could you trow in some danes too :D after all they do work close with the brits in hellmand :)

Amazing how much nitpicking and whining that can be produced solely on one forum. Not to mention when it's talk about an optional DLC.

After 9-10 years, 4 games (incl. Xbox) and 3 expansion packs it should be second nature by some to know what sort of content you'll get from BI.

€9 seems fair to me, but I don't think I would have payed alot more for it. It's more to do with the fact it's a DLC and not a whole expansion pack, like Arrowhead.

If I am, and this is my honest opinion, to buy a DLC-pack I'd rather see that the content is limited to the price, rather then the price follows how much content there are.

But of course, there is such as a thing as too little as well. As for this DLC, I believe the price is fair to the amount of content.

ow... could you trow in some danes too :D after all they do work close with the brits in hellmand :)

Indeed, not to mention Denmark has the highest rate of casualties based on a per citizen ratio so they are having a hard time

and doing a proper good job - They deserve a spot in an upcoming expansion / DLC / whatever you have planned, C'mon BIS ;)

As for this DLC's campaign. What do you actually expect? OA has 6 missions that can be completed in one or two evenings. It took a year to develop and costed the price of a full game.

This won't be anything bigger than Eagle Wings. The "campaign", while fun, was extremely short - two missions only, no more than 2 - 2.5 hours of gameplay.