Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

Modified original post accordingly.

What do you mean by "based off/referenced"?

There are very close simularities to the models i sold to BIA for inclusion in VBS2. So it is logical to conclude that they have either modified those VBS2 models (which they have the comerical rights to do), or have used those same models as a reference to make new one.

I have no solid facts to back that up but all you need do is compare the two sets of DLC vs VBS2 pics to see how close they are. It is just a guess but it seems to be a pretty good one.

The same could be said for almost everything.

Exactly, and likely hood is the same fuss would be bought up is they created Aussie, Spanish, German infantry ect. and then tried make people pay for it, when other UK Mod makers work has been used as 'reference material'.

I think the BIS money making machine might be better served by fixing the BUGS

in their current products before trying to milk more money of us

Well, to summarize and answer the objections people have been raising:

1. The same stuff is being made by addon makers for free!

Answer: Then use the free addons if you prefer.

2. It will create MP compatibility issues!

Answer: Maruk has indicated that there is a "solid plan" for this to be addressed.

3. BIS are turning evil and want all our money!

Answer: BIS are a company that needs to make money, and this is a good way to do just that. If you don't like it, don't buy their stuff.

4. They should be fixing bugs before creating paid content!

Answer: They are already fixing bugs and probably will for the forseeable future. See ongoing beta patch development. In fact, the additional revenue from DLCs will probably help them keep supporting the game with patches for longer.

Edited by MadDogX

Modified original post accordingly.

What do you mean by "based off/referenced"?

Means BI staff look into the model, then built a "new" model with points of references on key features on the "old" model, or, simply base up a "new" model by adding/losing parts of the "old" model

There is no way to make a game 100% bugs free, plus with beta patches release and the fact that ARMA2 is still being supported(to an extend), your accuse is weak.

Edited by 4 IN 1

How do people like you keep posting the same garbage?

Go and participate in the beta patches, literally, BIS are fixing bugs by the hour. What other developer does that?

Milking money? I never read anywhere that you *have* to buy this DLC.

Your dignity?

/rolleyes.

I could swear that Arma 2 is a bit more protected than with only "your dignity". Securom, cdkey and FADE.

/rolleyes.

I could swear that Arma 2 is a bit more protected than with only "your dignity". Securom, cdkey and FADE.

Relevance?

Money making machine, lol.

BIS isn't some sort of charity existing purely to please the "community".

Looking forward to trying the expansion. :)

Answer: Maruk has indicated that there is a "solid plan" for this to be addressed.

Answer: BIS are a company that needs to make money, and this is a good way to do just that. If you don't like it, don't buy their stuff.

Answer: They are already fixing bugs and probably will for the forseeable future. See ongoing beta patch development. In fact, the additional revenue from DLCs will probably help them keep supporting the game with patches for longer.

This. And yes, I will get DLC no matter what. :)

This. Good post, addresses most of the concerns raised in this thread.

There are very close simularities to the models i sold to BIA for inclusion in VBS2. So it is logical to conclude that they have either modified those VBS2 models (which they have the comerical rights to do), or have used those same models as a reference to make new one.

I have no solid facts to back that up but all you need do is compare the two sets of DLC vs VBS2 pics to see how close they are. It is just a guess but it seems to be a pretty good one.

Yup, you know the original model and its oddities, you can see when it's based on it or not... It's still probably more than "just a reskin", though not that much work as I thought it was originally.

So you guys do understand how many people here dislike Electronic Ass and U'dBeI sucks etc blah blah blah and so on for selling their soul and making worthless DLC and charge you 10P just so that you have to buy their product inorder to play online dont you?

1. The BAF pack isnt worthless or overpriced.

2. You wont need the BAF pack to play online.

Ofcourse if server admins decide they want to run missions that use the pack you will need it to join... ofcourse.

How do people like you keep posting the same garbage?

Go and participate in the beta patches, literally, BIS are fixing bugs by the hour. What other developer does that?

Milking money? I never read anywhere that you *have* to buy this DLC.

Because its a FREE forum where people can express their views

I already do the Beta patches , what Iam trying to say (over the shouts of fanbois)

Is the time taken to generate all this content would have been better spent making

arma3 / OA run with less bugs in it

I already do the Beta patches , what Iam trying to say (over the shouts of fanbois)

Is the time taken to generate all this content would have been better spent making

Programmers (bug breakers) != 3D artists and campaign makers. I don't think freeing the BAF staff would have given much more manpower for debugging

More probably, same issue as ever, these guys were unemployed in the current phase of OA release, and well.... they get paid... better pay them for something, don't you think? Or fire them?

This is my point exactly, BIS don't just go:

"oh lol, lets focus every single one of our staff on the DLC and forget everything else"

They constantly are developing new content, constantly fixing bugs, constantly doing this that and the other. They are EXTREMELY busy.

People have made up this very odd theory, that if you are developing DLC or content, that you are not developing patches at the same time.

Where did this logic come from? Because it's totally wrong ^^

People have made up this very odd theory, that if you are developing DLC or content, that you are not developing patches at the same time.

Short answer: ignorance.

A batch of new air and ground vehicles, troops with new weapons and appropriate radio voices is significantly more than just "a bunch of reskins".

Yeah. A mere content pack - that Armaholic is full of. And it costs $10, 1/5 of a full game - while including only about 1/30 of content that OFP had 9 years ago. No new island, no reasonable-sized campaign (considering that BIS spent a whole year to bring us 6-missions long campaign in OA - what can they do in one month? Another EW?) - just a bunch of soldiers, tanks, choppers and that's it. You know taking a lazy route instead of making real expansions.

I can already bet that a mere mod called Project Reality will offer much more than this DLC (it will even include a new island)

I think you are taking an extremely cynical point of view here, especially considering that this DLC offers vastly more, content-wise, than DLCs for other games, where you pay 5€ for a single vehicle, for example.

We already have people here who all but ask to make Cold War Rearmed a mod for money - it's hard not to be cynical.

Just because people are making addons for free doesn't mean paid content has no right to exist. In other games this works quite well. Why shouldn't BIS put their 2D and 3D artists to use and get some extra cash flowing in?

I've yet to see a game where DLC was reasonable and worked. It's always either a pack of furniture, a 2 hours long forgettable "campaign" or both.

And I'm just a customer - I don't care about how BIS wants to milk me for money or what it takes for them to achieve that - as long as they make something big of a high quality. I'd rather see a quality product once in a year than a DLC with a "short campaign" about ultraboring specops unit yet again.

In other words - I'd rather pay for a full expansion than for this.

If BIS told me they was in financial difficulty and needed £8 donation from people to keep them afloat in the hope they'd make A3 i'd donate.

£8 for a set of brit stuff is nothing when you consider how un-vogue pc gaming is nowdays.

I'm very glad we have them developing :)

As for free vs dlc I'll mix and match, I love Stalkers, UKF and RKSL's work so I doubt i'll be leaving it anytime soon even if I have the DLC.

1. The BAF pack isnt worthless or overpriced.

2. You wont need the BAF pack to play online.

Ofcourse if server admins decide they want to run missions that use the pack you will need it to join... ofcourse.

You do read the P.S. I added later under the same message, do you?:confused:

(...)

Well, I still don't agree with you, but now at least I see your point of view. Thanks for laying it down. ;)

This is my point exactly, BIS don't just go:

"oh lol, lets focus every single one of our staff on the DLC and forget everything else"

They constantly are developing new content, constantly fixing bugs, constantly doing this that and the other. They are EXTREMELY busy.

I never said they stopped improving the game

I was just postulating that more manpower might have been available

to work on Bugs testing/fixing than working on DLC

As that any clearer ?

rant...

No one is stopping you to do just that

I never said they stopped improving the game

I was just postulating that more manpower might have been available

to work on Bugs testing/fixing than working on DLC

As that any clearer ?

And it has been said like 3 times now:

That manpower is not 1 big chuck.

For an addon such as this DLC, you only need creative artists (modellers, texture artists etc), while fixing the bugs you need programmers.

Please do NOT mix those

Is that clear now?

Edited by PuFu

Awesome. Hopefully you guys take a similar approach to what DICE did with the mini expansions with BF2, as in allow the content to be seen by the vanilla players but not being able to be picked and used by them unless they own the content. That way we don't have to worry about servers going off and limiting the already small player base. It would be pretty cool to be able to select the british models in the mp menu when you choose your class in game without the server having to put an exclusive slot. I'd like to have something like that in general where you can just pick your class and then pick one of the models like the special forces guys or the regular army fellows. It's nice to want things. :p