British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

I hope the next DLC's will be the original OFP/Arma1 content. Would be awesome to play some old school OFP battles. I suppose it will be fairly easy/quick for them to do also.

Cold War Re-Armed, it's free

Use of ACOG is current and started several years ago. No need to predict the future. Also surprised to see the L86 and not the new L129a1. Hardly ever see the L86 on ops anymore.

L86 is being replaced by the L129a1? Are you sure you don't mean the L96, not L86?

The fact that it's just a paid patch with 2-3 new missions called "campaign" and a bunch of reskins can pretty much lead to me simply being unable to play it online.

All BIS needs is to make stuff like this every month - and they won't even have to really improve the game or make new ones - because people apparently want to be ripped off. Which is mindboggling. Considering that we already have brit mods that offer just as much for free.

Wait a second. OA had campaign? I thought it was just a short demo version of a SP part?

And 5 new factions? You mean UN, Czech, Germany with 2 different types of units per "faction" plus takistani militia/rebels which are just reskins of each other? That's some solid amount of content right there.

You could redefine these terms so as to find more happiness. So for example a "campaign" that is just a sort demo version of an SP part could be a campet and a faction that is just reskins could be a fraction.

Anyway, I am happy with campets and fractions in any mix. I never play campets anyway and I've never understood some of the fractionation that happens when you add mods and get all kinds of versions of each fractional faction.

The fact that it's just a paid patch with 2-3 new missions called "campaign" and a bunch of reskins can pretty much lead to me simply being unable to play it online.

All BIS needs is to make stuff like this every month - and they won't even have to really improve the game or make new ones - because people apparently want to be ripped off. Which is mindboggling. Considering that we already have brit mods that offer just as much for free.

Wait a second. OA had campaign? I thought it was just a short demo version of a SP part?

And 5 new factions? You mean UN, Czech, Germany with 2 different types of units per "faction" plus takistani militia/rebels which are just reskins of each other? That's some solid amount of content right there.

"A bunch of reskins"... You know nothing of modding, do you?

EDIT : http://www.doupe.cz/uploadedfiles/648217406.jpg <= tell me exactly, this is a reskin of what model? And how much time do you think is needed to make this? (and on what would you base your estimation?)

Edited by whisper

L86 is being replaced by the L129a1? Are you sure you don't mean the L96, not L86?

No, he's absolutely right. The L115 replaces the L96. The L86 fell out of favour as a Support Weapon....well, the minute it was introduced, but in reality, the minute they could put a Minimi in it's place. It was 're-roled' to be a marksmans rifle - due to it's bipod and longer barrel, it's more accurate, over slightly larger distances, and a good user can hit targets at 600m. However, it's not a 'proper' marksmans rifle, and is now being replaced by the L129a1.

Hi guys will the there be special forces or Recce units included in the dlc

The way described, the units would seem to represent something akin to the 16 Air Assault Brigade Pathfinder Platoon.

The Pathfinder Pl is an independent unit within 16 Air Asslt Bde.

It is made up of volunteers from all cap badges across all three

Services and its role is to provide ISTAR info to the Bde Comd to

enable 16 Air Asslt Bde ops.

This means that the Pathfinder Patrols need to be skilled in

different insertion and patrol skills to enable them to operate at

long ranges and completely self sufficiently.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?163283-Pathfinder-Platoon-16-Air-Assault-Bde&p=4348619&viewfull=1

How about a straight answer: was this a cooperative effort with RKSL studios and others, with permissions granted, or did BIS do this all in house, despite the fact that the content already exists?

BIS, is it true that you were invited to a GB military base by a member of this community, who was making a British MOD, to record all the sounds?

Not necessarily replaced one for one. The L129a1 is one per section where the L86a2 is/was two per section. It's just that the L86 doesn't seem to be used much anymore and the L129a1 is a bit more "future direction." But to be fair, the M110 in the game looks more like a L129a1, so it wouldn't really be anything new. :)

How about a straight answer: was this a cooperative effort with RKSL studios and others, with permissions granted, or did BIS do this all in house, despite the fact that the content already exists?

It has been stated already twice : BI models have nothing to do with RKSL Studio

EDIT : read below (next page), I'm partially wrong here, read too fast, apparently.

Edited by whisper

A batch of new air and ground vehicles, troops with new weapons and appropriate radio voices is significantly more than just "a bunch of reskins".

I think you are taking an extremely cynical point of view here, especially considering that this DLC offers vastly more, content-wise, than DLCs for other games, where you pay 5€ for a single vehicle, for example.

Just because people are making addons for free doesn't mean paid content has no right to exist. In other games this works quite well. Why shouldn't BIS put their 2D and 3D artists to use and get some extra cash flowing in?

Once again the community shows what a bunch of ungreatful pricks they are. For every 100 assholes in this community there is one good guy it seems.

I'm looking forward to this DLC BIS. I appreciate you continuing to develop this product for us.

It has been stated already twice : BI models have nothing to do with RKSL Studio

Actually they appear to be based off/"referenced" from the VBS2 models which i made so you aren't correct in that assumption.

But, just to be clear RKSL Studios has no involvement in the DLC patch.

"A bunch of reskins"... You know nothing of modding, do you?

EDIT : http://www.doupe.cz/uploadedfiles/648217406.jpg <= tell me exactly, this is a reskin of what model? And how much time do you think is needed to make this? (and on what would you base your estimation?)

Well it took me 1 day to convert my VBS2 spec Lynx HMA8 model to Lynx Wildcat Standard.

But I've since rebuilt most of the Lynx Range.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Then this is a no go. I find the content, the release speed, and the corporate morality all disappointing. I'll stick with RKSL.

Actually they appear to be based off/"referenced" from the VBS2 models which i made so you aren't correct in that assumption.

But, just to be clear RKSL Studios has no involvement in the DLC patch.

Modified original post accordingly.

What do you mean by "based off/referenced"?

Lol at some of you guys. They announce some DLC, which we all knew was coming, and some of you go into full blown conspiracy "it's the end of the world" mode. If you don't want the DLC don't buy it lol.

It's excellent value for money, seriously, who can't afford $10?

And to the guy who said this game is "nothing" without the community. Don't forget, the community is "nothing" without the game! ;)

Once again the community shows what a bunch of ungreatful pricks they are. For every 100 assholes in this community there is one good guy it seems.

I'm looking forward to this DLC BIS. I appreciate you continuing to develop this product for us.

It's easy to say that, when the content has all ready been made and released for free in one form or another.

Hi, let me cast some light on the suspicious choices of optics on L85A2. As we don't have that many acquaintances in British Armed Forces, we often had to make compromises (which is also the case of vehicles).

Regarding the Eotech holosight, we obtained some pictures showing L85A2 with these sights (however, I have to admit the photos might have depicted some unique setups), and we agreed on it as on a good representation for an assault rifle with a collimator sight.

We chose SUSAT because we simply liked the idea of bringing it to the game. We felt that providing different optics would be refreshing compared to reusing the same ACOG optics again.

AN/PEQ-2s were used as the default laser pointers in order to save some research and development time. The other types look almost the same to a common user, so we decided to re-use the existing data in this case and focus on something more substantial (like making the obsolete SUSAT optics ;) ).

While I understand the concerns regarding the DLC's accuracy, I have to say that it is more important for the BAF DLC team to deliver the bug-free product with interesting campaign and missions than a super-accurate addon which would only enrich the mission editor. I am sure the compromises we made in the realism won't harm the experience from the playable content.

Obviously only minor things, but maybe for a future update you might consider a more accurate depiction of British small arms in 2012, something down these lines:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2uzcyfl.jpg

Edited by W0lle
Image > 100 kb

It's easy to say that, when the content has all ready been made and released for free in one form or another.

The same could be said for almost everything.

what is all the iff about it?

you can still play A2 OA even without this content. If you don't want it, just don't buy it, and use the Addons available...

Cheers BIS, looking forward to getting this and playing with my UK based squad mates :)

I also find it funny how people can't distinguish the difference between a mod, and an officially supported and licensed DLC.

You could argue that every standard unit and vehicle in every release BIS has ever made, has also been made in a mod somewhere along the lines.

It's not in BIS control who makes mods, is it.

I personally have never touched a British Mod, despite the fact I have always wanted one. Why? Because I usually prefer to run on default content, and I know many others do as well.

There are many mods I uses of course, this is a fantastic community, but the more stuff we get added to the official game, the better.

And pwnage sums it up well:

Why do so many complain about a problem that does not exist?

It's no wonder countries go to war, everyone is soooooo selfish ^^