British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

They picked the CTA cannon yes but the turret isn't decided on; there's a lot more to WCSP than the gun itself. The vehicle's getting a completely new electronic architecture to go with it, and this is ultimately where the real value of the project lies, in its cost and commonality with FRES Scout.

LM originally offered a 35mm Bushmaster cannon for their turret but have altered the design since the MoD said it wanted the 40mm CTA, and it's now fully integrated into their demonstrator.

I see, im glad they picked the 40mm gun anyway, just because having a gun that can (according to a ppt from cta linked from wikipedia) defeat t55. Thanks for clarifying this for me

Not gonna buy this it's sure. OA was disappoint, theres almost none missions to play default ~30€. Now this...

Hope there are still some players who make missions etc for this game because without them this game are nothing.

Gonna skip this one. Unless the SP content turns out amazing(doubtful with BI).

Same here :)

If there will be another expansion like OA or a DLC with major engine improvements and gameplay enhancements by new features, then i'll buy it immediately.

I also wonder how that will be handled MP wise?

Will the MP Browser show if the Server/Mission currently playing has DLC-Pack XY loaded?

And i also wonder how they "simulated" *cough* the N-Law AT-Launcher...

This is it. OA just have been turned into a goddamn Sims. It's over.

What's worse is that you need to buy a modder-level stuff akin to furniture DLC packs to play on servers that won't let you to unless you have it.

Engine Improvements

Oh yeah. Even if furniture won't be required to play on the same server - people still won't be able to play unless they have the DLC.

Edited by metalcraze

You may not care about these things, but others do.

And plus, look at the turnaround time. It's being made in just over a month, which is pretty impressive for a campaign and several units/vehicles/weapons, plus engineer enhancements. And seriously, 9 Euros is hardly anything. Us Brits have to pay more anyway (8 Pounds = 9.49 Euros = 12.20 Dollars), so I don't know what you're complaining about. :p

Some brit pics were around before arrowhead arrived...

We need no few new units for money, we need better physics, better 3d editor, more islands, engine improvements and so on...

You only want brits, there are brit mods out there and with PR for arma more brits will comming.

My opinion is that only a few units + campaign without real improvements are not worth so much money...

Edited by Pain0815

It's over.

So, you're just not gonna buy the DLC or stop playing altogether?

I see what they did here. They sold a full game for 40 bucks and have a decent sized DLC coming out for 10 bucks. In the end OA with its first DLC ends up costing as much as A2, which isn't bad for 3 new maps, 2 new campaigns, 5 factions, and engine improvements. Seems pretty fair to me.

I see what they did here. They sold a full game for 40 bucks and have a decent sized DLC coming out for 10 bucks. In the end OA with its first DLC ends up costing as much as A2, which isn't bad for 3 new maps, 2 new campaigns, 5 factions, and engine improvements. Seems pretty fair to me.

you forgot the ability to load and use ARMA 2 content :cool:

A new Island and more types of current chech and german units + the brits would be a fair DLC pack for 9 euro.

I dont care about little mp missions and a brit campaign. Better more content...

Or a physic engine, or a functional 3d editor and tools.

That would be a great dlc addon, but only a few brit units...

Thats not fair BIS!

Take those modules from vbs for example.

As DLC the module makes sense. I don't think you'd want major engine

changes as DLC. That would be more of a DLMEC (Downloadable Major Engine Change). Anyway, I buy everything BIS makes, often two or three

times in various versions and configurations. You get a lot of entertainment

bang for the buck. The DLC costs less than a trip to the CINEPLEX or

a movie DVD and it contributes to a cumulative game environment.

I dont said im not getting this, i said i think thats not fair.

If dlc goes well and you decide to make more in future... please include the challenger 2 :respekt: :p

BIS can you put this brit stuff under the faction "UK Armed Forces", so it matches all the stuff thats out already :p

"# Engine Improvements

# Extension of the Engineer's role

# Ability for players to effectively operate and command artillery and mortar units"

I suppose you walk a fine line with DLC. If you don't add any real engine improvements and new features, people will call it the Sims. If you add too much of these, people start to feel like they're being forced to buy the new stuff.

It'll be interesting to see how this new element to the sales model works out. It won't do any real damage if it doesn't, anyway.

Seems like a reasonable price. Some fun units, although we always hold the (probably unrealistic) hope that 'official' units should be exponentially better than stuff the community make.

Pretty sure BIS most likely bought the models from UKF and improved upon them :p if I was UKF I would be very proud.

To clarify, it's not the UKF stuff. Our involvement goes as far as this (at least this is the version i've been told); they used our VBS2 models/textures as reference material, and rebuilt it all themselves. The similarities, plus some of the mistakes we made being repeated, is because of this. But techincally, it is nothing to do with us.

Edited by Pathy

you forgot the ability to load and use ARMA 2 content :cool:

You're right I did. I have a question for ya Dwarden. Obviously you can't divulge to much, but do you guys plan on releasing these frequently or will there be a significant gap between the Brits and the next DLC?

Edit: Also would it be possible to elaborate on these engineer extensions? Will they affect base OA engineers?

Looks great! Can't wait.

Personally I'd probably pay twice as much as that just for the British Radio Comms, but I'm odd like that. :p

As for slight mismatches in equipment etc, I suppose you could look at it in so much as that the ArmA World is a different one than our own, for example the Chernarus conflict has happened, which may have had an impact on Budget decisions and the way certain technology is developed.

That's the way I like to look at it anyway. :D

There is a campaign and there are new voices recorded for the game including complete new sets of British radio protocols.

This alone will make me buy this.

Oh, and my dignity.

Only downside is that there is no challenger. That's a bummer.

I personally like the fact we get SUSAT sights.

Because of the variety.

Edited by Elric de Melnibone

So, you're just not gonna buy the DLC or stop playing altogether?

The fact that it's just a paid patch with 2-3 new missions called "campaign" and a bunch of reskins can pretty much lead to me simply being unable to play it online.

All BIS needs is to make stuff like this every month - and they won't even have to really improve the game or make new ones - because people apparently want to be ripped off. Which is mindboggling. Considering that we already have brit mods that offer just as much for free.

In the end OA with its first DLC ends up costing as much as A2, which isn't bad for 3 new maps, 2 new campaigns, 5 factions, and engine improvements. Seems pretty fair to me.

Wait a second. OA had campaign? I thought it was just a short demo version of a SP part?

And 5 new factions? You mean UN, Czech, Germany with 2 different types of units per "faction" plus takistani militia/rebels which are just reskins of each other? That's some solid amount of content right there.

Edited by metalcraze

I hope the next DLC's will be the original OFP/Arma1 content. Would be awesome to play some old school OFP battles. I suppose it will be fairly easy/quick for them to do also.

Personaly I'm gonna pass on this one, kinda dislike UK weaponry for some reason. That is when there aren't any engine updates with this DLC, if there are I probably have to adept it to. Prize tag seems to be fair to.

This is set in 2012 to be more exact. And with full respect, none of us can predict future with total accuracy. However, I will ask BAF team to provide you with more specific feedback why they decided to do it this way.

Use of ACOG is current and started several years ago. No need to predict the future. Also surprised to see the L86 and not the new L129a1. Hardly ever see the L86 on ops anymore.

YES.

Question though, will the SA80 have a dedicated animation for a bullpup instead of the standard one? It'll be rather poo if all the sweet Brits are reloading invisible magazines at the front of the gun.

@Blackhawk:

Yes, there are British voice actors. We even managed to get Geordie and Scottish accents. :)

I am a geordie, please tell me you never used "Gazza" :eek:

Not sure about this DLC myself, i will be a little miffed if my usual server starts using it and i am either forced to buy it to play MP, or change to a different server. Not sure what i would do in that regard.