Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

Hi everyone

I'm wondering what "Engine Improvements" concerns exactly? Will it be restricted to DLC buyers or also included into futur patch for OA ?

Awesome stuff, especially with the new brit radio protocols. :)

I wonder how the online issue will be addressed (i.e. "Maruks solid plan" :)). Abstract stand-ins in the main game? There aren't really many options available, unless I'm completely overlooking something obvious.

I've been dying to ask since i saw the AAN website months ago... why EOTech sights on an L85A2? I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen in regular service.

Also judging from the pics (Modified Warrior turret, Lynx Wildcat etc) this is set in the near future 2015+, why have SUSATs? The entire British Military is switching to ACOG variants.

FIST will have a picatinny adaptor for the sight rail that theoretically will allow EOTechs to be fitted but I doubt they'd be issued for anything other than the L22 as a rifle sight. SUSAT will be replaced by a version of the ELCAN Specter when this happens (ACOG is just an interim sight for ops). So yea EOTechs & SUSATs together are a big WTF.

AN/PEQ-2s are also odd; they were only ever issued for the SA80 in SFSG (some years ago). I believe UKSF have replaced them with other illuminators now and the Oerlikon LLM-01 is the only one on issue to regular forces.

Warrior turret replacement wont be decided on for at least another 2 years and the projected service date is beyond 2015. Lockheed's turret is still very much in contention; I had to do some work on their demonstrator vehicle recently. Since ASCOD won FRES SV it's looking less and less likely that the BAe turret that BIS have modelled will be the one that gets selected.

I'll probably give this bit of DLC a miss for at least a couple of months

Edited by da12thMonkey

I am expecting many people will start bitching at BI for turning into the evil way

P.S. Me myself dont care that much, if it turns out to be good then I might still buy it.

Edited by 4 IN 1

I think its a great idea and a good way for ARMA2 to be around a long time supporting our beloved ARMA2. And it's a good way for Bohemia to keep growing and funding there great work and improvements.

In all honesty they would go broke creating so much addons for so many years without been payed for their hard work. This is definetly a way to keep the game going for a long time and thats what we all want isn't it? I know i do

I would probably buy these even thou i prefer OPFOR side to play as because it will give me a new faction to shoot at ;)

I hope this works and in future some DLC with modern Russian stuff and OPFOR comes out

The more factions the merrier

Just imagine what a game ARMA2 would be with so much factions/campaigns/updates etc. US/Russia/UK/China/France etc

The content and upgrades would be a dream game for gamers without the VBS price

And addon makers can always add what BIS hasn't

Edited by vasmkd

Hurraaaaaaaaaay! With a campaign as well, cannot wait for this. :D

Will there be British voice actors?

Edited by Blackhawk

You know what the term DLC stands for?

Downloadable Content

And what do you think is included in all the previously released beta patches?

To be honest I did not know what DLC stood for but I sure do now. Excuse my ignorance :)

I got more than enough value from the original games to consider spending $10 on this, even though I have my doubts that it's entirely worth it. It will be fund to create a combined allied operation in the editor

EDIT - Da12thMonkey beat me to it.

This is set in 2012 to be more exact.

Oh ok. Its just that from what i understand the new Warrior Fightability Lethality Improvement Program (WFLIP) turret isnt due into service until 2014/15 (if at all - budget cuts etc).

And the Frontline inservice dates for the Wildcats are around 2014 even if deliveries do begin in 2011. So i just assumed 2015.

And with full respect, none of us can predict future with total accuracy. However, I will ask BAF team to provide you with more specific feedback why they decided to do it this way.

Thanks I appreciate it.

I agree no one can predict the future. Its just that when I saw those pics the first time i asked a friend on the MoD PE Small Arms procurment IPT and he said "As far as I know we've never bought Eotech's in any numbers. We certainly wouldnt use them on the L85". It just seemed a really odd choice.

Edited by RKSL-Rock
EDIT - Da12thMonkey beat me to it.

I am expecting many people will start bitching at BI for turning into the evil way

P.S. Me myself dont care that much, if it turns out to be good then I might still buy it.

Getting paid for your work is evil?

A new Island and more types of current chech and german units + the brits would be a fair DLC pack for 9 euro.

I dont care about little mp missions and a brit campaign. Better more content...

Or a physic engine, or a functional 3d editor and tools.

That would be a great dlc addon, but only a few brit units...

Thats not fair BIS!

Take those modules from vbs for example.

Edited by Pain0815

* Engine Improvements

o Ability for players to effectively operate and command artillery and mortar units

So, will be able to use artillery and mortar only if i buy the DLC?

Would be good to get this on a normal patch for OA. This is really awesome feature, but i wont be able to buy the DLC :\

The evil way is to charge $15 for 5 multiplayer maps.. and not even provide editing tools or dedicated servers.

New units, vehicles, weapons, campaign and mp missions for $10 is a sweet deal and a good way to keep support going.

Getting paid for your work is evil?
The evil way is to charge $15 for 5 multiplayer maps.. and not even provide editing tools or dedicated servers.

New units, vehicles, weapons, campaign and mp missions for $10 is a sweet deal and a good way to keep support going.

So you guys do understand how many people here dislike Electronic Ass and U'dBeI sucks etc blah blah blah and so on for selling their soul and making worthless DLC and charge you 10P just so that you have to buy their product inorder to play online dont you?

And no I am not saying BI would be the same if Maruk's plan on solving the problem is working, just some people (a lots of them infact) would think that way.:j:

Edited by 4 IN 1

Warrior turret replacement wont be decided on for at least another 2 years and the projected service date is beyond 2015. Lockheed's turret is still very much in contention; I had to do some work on their demonstrator vehicle recently. Since ASCOD won FRES SV it's looking less and less likely that the BAe turret that BIS have modelled will be the one that gets selected.

I'll probably give this bit of DLC a miss for at least a couple of months

Oh, didn't they pick the CTA cannon or something? There was a contarct to develop it with the uk and french mod? thats wikipedia for you

Extension of the Engineer's role

Do we have any additional information about what this means?

With these prices I am so behind this new payable DLC model (not just because I am British :)) - anyone who wants this game to continue to flourish for years to come should be too.

With these prices I am so behind this new payable DLC model (not just because I am British :)) - anyone who wants this game to continue to flourish for years to come should be too.

You hit the nail in the coffin there Mandrake5 :)

A new Island and more types of current chech and german units + the brits would be a fair DLC pack for 9 euro.

I dont care about little mp missions and a brit campaign. Better more content...

Or a physic engine, or a functional 3d editor and tools.

That would be a great dlc addon, but only a few brit units...

Thats not fair BIS!

Take those modules from vbs for example.

You may not care about these things, but others do.

And plus, look at the turnaround time. It's being made in just over a month, which is pretty impressive for a campaign and several units/vehicles/weapons, plus engineer enhancements. And seriously, 9 Euros is hardly anything. Us Brits have to pay more anyway (8 Pounds = 9.49 Euros = 12.20 Dollars), so I don't know what you're complaining about. :p

Hi, let me cast some light on the suspicious choices of optics on L85A2. As we don't have that many acquaintances in British Armed Forces, we often had to make compromises (which is also the case of vehicles).

Regarding the Eotech holosight, we obtained some pictures showing L85A2 with these sights (however, I have to admit the photos might have depicted some unique setups), and we agreed on it as on a good representation for an assault rifle with a collimator sight.

We chose SUSAT because we simply liked the idea of bringing it to the game. We felt that providing different optics would be refreshing compared to reusing the same ACOG optics again.

AN/PEQ-2s were used as the default laser pointers in order to save some research and development time. The other types look almost the same to a common user, so we decided to re-use the existing data in this case and focus on something more substantial (like making the obsolete SUSAT optics ;) ).

While I understand the concerns regarding the DLC's accuracy, I have to say that it is more important for the BAF DLC team to deliver the bug-free product with interesting campaign and missions than a super-accurate addon which would only enrich the mission editor. I am sure the compromises we made in the realism won't harm the experience from the playable content.

@Blackhawk:

Yes, there are British voice actors. We even managed to get Geordie and Scottish accents. :)

Oh, didn't they pick the CTA cannon or something? There was a contarct to develop it with the uk and french mod? thats wikipedia for you

They picked the CTA cannon yes but the turret isn't decided on; there's a lot more to WCSP than the gun itself. The vehicle's getting a completely new electronic architecture to go with it, and this is ultimately where the real value of the project lies, in its cost and commonality with FRES Scout.

LM originally offered a 35mm Bushmaster cannon for their turret but have altered the design since the MoD said it wanted the 40mm CTA, and it's now fully integrated into their demonstrator.