Sign in to follow this  
Bandit65

New rh grounded problem

Well..

It seems I am doomed...

I read all the previous posts about the red hammer Grounded Mission, but none of them address my problem.

After getting the refule truck, refuleing, and flying to the repair truck...

The cutscene starts up, something like "Get repaired, we need you to take out some tanks..."

Then, abruptly, my Hind crashes.

I think while the cutscene is running, the game is not pausing the action, so I am out of control of my chopper... and in the 10 seconds or so for the cutscene of me, ironically, landing, to play through, my chopper hits trees, and turns sideways, and hits the ground, and blows up.

I have played through about 20 times, sometimes letting the No. 2 guy (Medic) to fly (He is a much better pilot than i am), I have tried the extreme of landing, then getting out, running to the repair truck, only to find a soldier (Private) sitting in the drivers seat.

I tried popping a cap in him, and then taking tyhe truck myself, driving it 500 yards to my now landed chopper, and repairing it.

After I repair it this way, I as well as my medic buddy sustain injuries... (What?)

After I successfully repair my chopper, but not see the cutscene, I am injured...

No worries, I fly all the way back tot he airport, and land, and fully refule at the refule truck, thus bypassing the whole need to land at the ill-fated repair/refuel station, and avoid the whole bad cutscene thing.

Now, I go and land where the squad is waiting, but no, they won't get in...

I go off looking for the convoy, that I don't know about yet, and don't know where it is, but alas, I cannot find it, and pre-emptively kill it.

I have tried auto hovering, I ahve tried approaching slow, I have tried landing fast, landing slow, not landing at all...

But the cutscene always kills me.

I tried ejecting, and letting # 2 land it alone, it crashes, I tried ejecting #2, and landing alone, it still crashes.

I wonder if I knew the map coordinates of the convoy, if I could actually find it and kill it?

Anyone here have any advice? According to some of the previous posts, this mission has problems anyway, have I just found a new one?

Also, using the 'endmission' cheat does not work.

Is this the last mission in redhammer?

Maybe If so, I'll just give up, and replay the fun missions...

You won't be able to complete the objectives out of order if they're scripted as a sequence so thats probably a waste of time.

Beyond that the problem sounds the same as others have met though you could perhaps clarify;

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But the cutscene always kills me.<span id='postcolor'>

Is it during the cutscene or, as I encounter, right after you regain control?

If the latter then its strange that the solutions we've found aren't working but mayby other people have other ideas we've not heard yet. I've found hitting Autohover very quickly ususally works but its not a sure thing.

Perhaps this is one we need to push more heavily with Codemasters rather than BIS since its not there campaign.

in the 'gold upgrade' topic i had written it before.

This mission is really screwed.

i had a lot of trouble finishing it . even when i finsihed it crashed and i started all over again. i finally finished but i realised something...

whenever the syncronisation withh the radio messages and radio text is gone mission fails in one way or the other. Just dont bother to play it if voice and text sync. is gone. restart.

with patience and luck you will finsih it. (i managed to finish it at my 5th try

confused.gif

Try to fly in high, don´t bother to land, just reach the waypoint flying high and slow. My prob. here is that when I regain control the chopper is reversing at mach2 wow.gif and I lose a lot off time getting hold off it. I don´t think the convoy is there until after the repair cutscen, it seems like you realy start a new mission then. The retrypos. dont work either, try hitting the esc.key as soon as you here the ground team start screaming, then retry to prevent having to start from the airfield again and again and a...... tounge.gif Maybe the endmission cheat works after the cutscen, have never used it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rik_Jo @ April 26 2002,11:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My prob. here is that when I regain control the chopper is reversing at mach2 wow.gif  and I lose a lot off time getting hold off it.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you sure the chopper is that fast? Maybe it`s a bug that causes the game`s internal time to run faster. You can speed up the time normally, maybe there is a bug that does that at random confused.gif

Before really giving up on this one, I played it through another 20 times.

It seems that 1) any command established (Like Auto Hover) gets 'Un-established' as the cutscene starts.

I played it through, from 'crashing' with the fuel line...

Run and kill the guards/pilots, get the fule truck

(Gah! I KNOW how to spell F-U-E-L, I just mis type it so much I look like I need hooked-on-phonics)

And get to the chopper, I then fly towards the repair truck area, autohover just out of range, about 200 Feet altitude, and no forward, or reverse movement, THEN, I saved the game.

From that point I tried several things, but... even though I saved the game with Auto Hover, and no movement, every time I 'Loaded' the saved game, I was not auto Hovering, and Almost out of control...

20 retries, with the beginning of the retry just barely gaining control...

So, I try going to an altitude of like 800 feet, and moving forward at 1-2 MPH... inching towards the waypoint, which I assume, is a trigger circle.

As I reach it, remember, I am moving forward only 1-2 MPH, and auto hovering, and I have my mouse pointing straight ahead, not down, or up, or left or right, and my hands are off the keyboard...

As I reach it, the cutscene starts, right at the end of the cutscene, as the chopper inside the cutscene is landing, I can see MY chopper nosing into the ground ...

Like the real life action of me flying is in the cutscene as well as the cinemagraphic chopper...

As the cutscene ends, I never have time to re apply auto hover, and regain control...

Crash, retry, regain control, cutscene, crash, repeat, over and over.

I tried 'controlling' the chopper as the cutscene is playing...

One time I was almost successful, by just hitting the 'up-altitude' key ("Q" by default) and I almost made it, but I had gone too far forward, and nosed into the hill.

I tried coming at the trigger from different directions, similar results.

I tried flying blind, pulling up, reducing speed, during the cutscene, but it is nearly impossible to do when you cannot see the results of your actions.

Like flying on instruyments only, but with a blindfold on...

Oh well.

I just gave it up, either my particular campaign is bugged, and I should restart from further back into the campaign, or I found a legit bug.

Either way, there is no out, I just have to give it up.

I tried the end mission cheat a lot too, just to check it out, from different points, like before I get the fuel truck, after I get it, in the air, whatever... The endmission cheat always sends me back to the 'We need to get the fuel truck' part at the beginning.

I dunno... My campaign is buggy.

Not just your campaign Bandit65. Some people say they have no problem but I don't know if they're running the same version of OFP.

I can't sadly offer more advice. Yes the cutscene resets all controls. If your going to do anything it has to be in the fraction of a second after the game hands you back control. For myself this is usually long enough to hit the enter key twice but not always.

I think those of us with problems need to send a few emails off to Codemasters and whoever wrote Red Hammer since the problem seems to lie in their campaign rather than the basic OFP engine. Certainly this seems to be the only place helicopter landings are a regular problem unless somebody else knows otherwise?

Did you go to the link I posted earlier, Bandit? You can download a completed campaign file so you can choose to play any mission whenever you want.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ April 26 2002,11:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are you sure the chopper is that fast? Maybe it`s a bug that causes the game`s internal time to run faster. You can speed up the time normally, maybe there is a bug that does that at random  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, that would be a fast chopper biggrin.gif . But it is reversing fast and climbing high, away from the convoy. I am at 1.46, and have an P4 1.5, 256mb rdram, Geforce2 gts 32mb, SoundBlaster Live value, some 5gb free hd. and I use the latest Nvidiareferensdrivers, 4.13.01.2832. Oh, and win98se. This said as reference smile.gif

Yes, Random, and thanks, I might use that someday...

I am trying to revert back a few missions, just to make sure there is a continueing bug, rather than just a single instance.

I like playing OFP, so I don't mind replaying missions, if it turns out with the same bug, though, I might use the file from AvonLady, and bypass the buggy mission, just to get through the campaign.

Yes, Red Hammer has bugs, Oh well, nothing is perfect, and I am happy just getting to play this game.

Back in my day, I spent hour after hour playing the original tank platoon, on a 8088 with amber mono graphics, and felt priviledged to be there.

Everything today is just gravy.

Best thing to do is download a complete campaign file and then go the next mission after the bugged one and revert it so as not to spoil the narrative flow. The rest of the missions are relatively bug free. I had exactly the same problem as you and even if I engaged auto-hover the chopper was dropping like an anvil so I just shrugged, cursed Cash counting codemasters and moved on........

Yeah I got that. Damn thing gets stuck in reverse and becomes almost impossible to control. It even affected other parts of the game for a while but I eventually managed to complete the mission by compensating for control, after about three weeks!

I get the exact same problems. I am using the Gold Edition with Red Hammer. The most annoying part is that the End Mission cheat does not work.

I have managed to get past the crashing helicopter after the cut scene by immediately ascending with the joystick throttle. Of course, I am unable to get to the convoy in time to destroy it. I either get shot down by the vulcan or crash trying to destroy it.

I also intensely dislike any mission that relies on helicopters and airplanes to succeed. I like this game, but vehicles, especially aircraft, handle like crap. I have tried both keyboard+mouse and joystick without much luck.

it happened to me also. i put on auto-hover though. and first time i crashed cos when the scene ended, i was in 3rd person view. try putting on the auto-hover and fly inside the chopper.

stupid way of doing a cutscene, when you actually should have to land in the city, a nice challenge.

end mission cheat doesnt work. it says youve failed.

also doesnt work when you cant be bothered doing a really boring mission thats almost the same as one before it.. snore..

Why not land the chopper near where the cutscene starts and "Drive" it into the cutscene area on the ground, and i never had any problems at all with any of the redhammer missions...(Well maybe a FEW attempts at THE ALAMO!!wink.gif