Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead - DEMO!

its there but its not really working, you cant put in missions in the mission cycle

IMO if BIS made the demo any more complete you'll get cheapskates that just play the demo & not purchase the game. It knocked my socks off to see the ammount of content included in the demo.

I understand you wanted to show off A2 in all it's glory but surely your friends aren't that naive to expect full features in the demo?!

IMO if BIS made the demo any more complete you'll get cheapskates that just play the demo & not purchase the game. It knocked my socks off to see the ammount of content included in the demo.

I understand you wanted to show off A2 in all it's glory but surely your friends aren't that naive to expect full features in the demo?!

You didnt get my point. I tried to convince my friend to buy it. He wanted to check out before giving out any money for a thing he doesnt know. After seeing the demo he said, that the demo is good for anything just not to get an idea how does it work in multiplayer. He said :

"I want to know before i pay any cent for this game, that i will be able to play it for a longer period. I want to see how does it work with lots of players, i want to see huge battles in multiplayer. This demo doesnt give me any idea that how does it really work in multiplayer."

So the demo would be even good without any singleplayer scenarios, any editor, or customizable missions, just it should contain one good large scale multiplayer scenario for lots of players which can be run lagfree on a dedicated server. Thats exactly the only thing its lacking.

The demo should be able to be played on servers up to the task to running the missions smoothly on fat pipes just like the regular game.

Most of the servers available when I was playing the demo were lag fests from hell with the exception of one [WPR] and that was only a 10 player max server.

I'm pretty sure I saw a post here somewhere by people offering to host

demo servers on high powered servers with fat pipes if they had the dedicated server files for the demo.

Got the Operation Arrowhead demo installed, and after several different settings and an updated NVIDIA driver, the demo hardly runs it's so stuttery, and I was getting strange multicolored vegetation before the new driver. I tried Windowed mode and that helpd slightly, but is still unplayable. Tried it on the lowest settings possible and it still stutters bad.

I suspect my rig isn't up to the task, but seeing some others rigs, mine should be okay or is it?...

ASUS P5N-D mobo

Intel E6600 core2duo 2.4ghz

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 2gb ram

eVGA GeForce 7950 GT 512mg

WD Raptor 150gb hdd

That video card is very not up to the task of hadnling ArmA2.

Got the Operation Arrowhead demo installed, and after several different settings and an updated NVIDIA driver, the demo hardly runs it's so stuttery, and I was getting strange multicolored vegetation before the new driver. I tried Windowed mode and that helpd slightly, but is still unplayable. Tried it on the lowest settings possible and it still stutters bad.

I suspect my rig isn't up to the task, but seeing some others rigs, mine should be okay or is it?...

ASUS P5N-D mobo

Intel E6600 core2duo 2.4ghz

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 2gb ram

eVGA GeForce 7950 GT 512mg

WD Raptor 150gb hdd

That video card is very not up to the task of hadnling ArmA2.

Hello to everybody!

This reporting seems strange to me. After a long hiatus I decided to

give the demo a try to see how far the engine has improved since vanilla Arma 2.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement. I managed some testruns in

the editor to find the best options and received stunning (for my rig) graphics without any

stuttering. Only mouse input lag, but that might be due to my antique mouse...

As you will see, I bring a lot less firepower to the game:

Athlon X2 BE-2350 (2,1ghz)

ASUS M2A-VM

Corsair Value Ram 2gig (dual)

Nvidia 9500GT (on 258.96 WHQL)

Seagate 7200.10

Win7 Prof 32bit

Quality options (as I remember)

1280x1024

Normal textures and details

Low AF

Low post processing

NO shadows and AA

So the reported problems might be solved by sifting through the usual

suspects:

Latest drivers

Turn off anti virus and/or spyware (after a full system sweep!)

Turn off energy saving routines (power profiles in Win7)

Defrag your harddisk (at least your ARMA directory)

Check the "health" of your OS intall

Play with the quality options

Hope this might help someone.

Two thoughts:

Is the 7950GT really slower than a 9500GT? :eek:

Is there an ingame function to display FPS? Would love to monitor them without third party app.

Is the 7950GT really slower than a 9500GT? :eek:

No, it should be approximately on par, perhaps even a bit faster. But graphics cards aren't the only factor when it comes to framerates, so I'm not surprised that his system might be slower.

Is there an ingame function to display FPS? Would love to monitor them without third party app.

No real in-game option, no. There is an addon called Deadfasts FPS counter, if you don't want to use FRAPS or some other app, but that might hinder you from joining some MP servers.

Personally, I would recommend FRAPS.

I think the 9500 GT was a pos even at its release. ;D

It's lower mid-range. They have their uses, but I would really recommend at least a 9600GT for gaming. :)

@MadDogX

Thanks for your replies! Seems to be a very engaged

community you have here.

I think its save to say that this demo has fulfulled

its purpose as I really want to have the full product.

Now if only I could find a store in Europe that offers

a hardcopy of ARMA 2 CO...

Or should I wait for this "Gold Edition"?

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/b003zxda38/

It's really hard to get an overview of what's out there.

Oh and before I forget it:

Well done, developers!

@MadDogX

Thanks for your replies! Seems to be a very engaged

community you have here.

I think its save to say that this demo has fulfulled

its purpose as I really want to have the full product.

Now if only I could find a store in Europe that offers

a hardcopy of ARMA 2 CO...

Or should I wait for this "Gold Edition"?

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/b003zxda38/

It's really hard to get an overview of what's out there.

Oh and before I forget it:

Well done, developers!

I'm in the UK (east). I found that most stores had OA, none had A2 & CO is in hard copy in north america ONLY (AFAIK). So I downloaded from Sprocket (Even though sprocket was a little bit more than steam but I hate steam & more cash goes to BIS via Sprocket).

The demo seemed okay but I swear the multiplayer editor in it is more restrained than A2's demo..by this I mean setting of assets. In A2 you could set the spawn positions of BLUEFOR and OPFOR and thus give your friends some safe introduction to the vehicles and help them get used to it.

Also I have no idea why but the demo ran so horribly for me, I nearly had viewdistance set to the very bottom, no shadows, normal textures and everything else on low or OFF.

Yet with the actual game I can run with the slider set anywhere from middle to high with shadows randing, grass with density, object detail on medium to high and so on, heck I can even run it with high anti aliasing and my frame rate was 10x better. OH well the deed is done, introduced a COD players to actual realism, he did pretty well strangely..

As for the gold edition I wouldn't wait, if you can I would suggest just getting Operation Arrowhead or if you want, getting Combined Operatons for 10$ more which would include both Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead.