Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead - DEMO!

can someone with the full version of OA please confirm whether or not the island included in this demo is a cut down (smaller) version? If this is true then frame rates will drop in the full version as compared to the demo so I'd like to know what to expect.

Does anyone here fly the choppers with the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro? Could you recommend a button layout for the choppers? I tried the Little Bird mission but I crash trying to kill the convoy while flying with the mouse and keyboard.

That may be a problem because I used the software from logitech so i could bind ACE and Mando keys to my joystic. A little tick I can throw at you is to free up some buttons on the joystic itself if you don't mind do this. Use the hatswitch for functions other than looking around. I have the 0 and 180 degree settings for vanilla weapon switching for cases like the AH-6 which has no ACE/Mando affected weapons. As for other button layouts, look at what functions you use often (like zooming) and bind it to buttons you have easy access to while being able to access other functions that you may use in conjunction (if you bind zoom to a button, be sure you can still access the fire button, especially if for some reason it isn't the trigger or "button 1").

Also for flying it may help to affect the throttle sensitivity via 3rd party and maybe even create a deadzone for both throttle and directional controls. May help make a slightly more stable piloting experience for those who don't like their controls all twitchy at the slightest nudge of the joystick.

can someone with the full version of OA please confirm whether or not the island included in this demo is a cut down (smaller) version? If this is true then frame rates will drop in the full version as compared to the demo so I'd like to know what to expect.

takistan.pbo	                         51.590.732 bytes
takistan.pbo.bi.bisign	                        287 bytes
takistan_data.pbo	                150.721.670 bytes
takistan_data.pbo.bi.bisign	                287 bytes
takistan_data_layers.pbo	        132.708.892 bytes
takistan_data_layers.pbo.bi.bisign	        287 bytes
zargabad.pbo	                        211.082.819 bytes
zargabad.pbo.bi.bisign	                        287 bytes

Demo map is just an appetizer, the full map is way bigger. Dont really know about FPS, but 1 guy said he had better frames in full.

Edited by ziiip

Damn I love Steam... 1.8 mb dl speed ... :) Pretty interested to see what happend to ArmA 2 from the first demo to this one :)

Edit

Really, really nice! Its great to see how the series evolved! FLIR is really handy and I was impressed by the landing skills of the chopper pilot and the end of the campaign mission. (Last chopper landing I saw was in ArmA1...)

Too bad I don't have time for gaming anymore. It was like playing OFP again :) (well, better of course, but you know what I mean :D)

Edited by kavoven

Hi all, as you may have gathered from my previous posts I've recently dl'ed both demo's. They seem to run fine (apart from a bit of lag but then my system blows) in single player. But in the OA demo when I join a multiplayer game it allows me to choose sides. Then when I click on proceed (or whatever it is) it comes up with a loading bar & then the screen goes black. I can hear gunfire, 1 is down, etc. I tried a quick search for 'OA demo black screen' & it returned plenty of results but none that I saw seemed to match my case. So any ideas? :confused:

AMD Athlon x2 dual core 3800+ (2ghz)

2gb RAM

9600 gt 512mb (driver ver 197.45)

(I haven't looked at the a2 demo in multiplayer yet but I will report back on that tomorrow)

Help greatly appreciated...thanks ;)

Romeo i have the same issue. Though it only seems to happen to only a few servers i try to join. I can join other servers running a mission just fine, but a few, running the exact mission, I'll get that black screen.

thanks for the reply. hmmm well I must admit I only tried two or three :o So it's the same mission that does it to you then? (hmph I didn't take note of the missions either! do'h(pe) lol)

not the same mission. What i'm saying is I can have two servers running the same mission. One i can join just fine, but the other I'll get the black screen. So I dunno if it has to do with some server setting, or if it's an issue with ping, or if it's a random bug of sorts.

I've had the black screen on almost every server I've joined.

I was fine for about 3 hours of play and now it almost all the time.

lots of other were having it. Same with the map loading empty

and soldiers being invisible. Hear them but can't see them.

Well I managed to get onto some servers, without black-screening, after I logged off this forum last night. BIG mistake! lol I've been up all night & I'm wired with adrenaline! It gets sooooo tense. love it love it love it! Well apart from the odd muppet here & there shooting friendlies etc. I suppose I had better get a lil shut eye...oh just one more round. :D

Has anyone tested the modules in the demo?? There is a module for arty and vr arty and there is even a backpack for the m252 81mm mortar but i cant find any actual artillary piece. Does this feature work in the demo? The town construction set works, and so does the construction interface but you start with no cash. I tried to use ambient animals, but there is nothing in the wiki on it. One thing i did notice is that all the civilians are wearing the same outfit even though it says something diff for each one ie scarf,turban,vest. And I dont see anything in the wiki about the effect modules film grain , movie day & night or sepia. Anyone know what they do??

yeah, I picked the desert map in the editor and I placed myself as a rifleman. then I placed the simple support module somewhere far off, without synching it to myself. I ran the preview, hit space, then I chose mortar support. the spot I chose was hit with mortar fire within seconds.

Been playing this while I'm forced to wait on buying the actual OA, a great demo in a time where most companies wouldn't even bother. Much appreciated.

Interesting, I will try it on the other map and see if it works for me. I also wasn't using the simple support module. I was using the artillery module alone. Do you know where I can find more info on the simple support module?? Thanks for your helpful response Capt. Sand

---------- Post added at 04:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

Yep this is the only company that I still support with my PC gaming dollars. And the fact that they release a demo that allows me to see how it will run on my system before I buy it is the main reason for that support, that and creating the greatest military sandbox in the world for me and my friends to play in. And the greatest community of any game I have ever played. Thank you BIS and all the community members who make this the best gaming experience on the planet.

Yes, very helpful. Thanks again for your assistance. Surprised it hasn't found its way to the bi wiki yet.

Did you guys encounter this problem that the markers you place in the editor are not there(invisible or whatever) in MP games?

Added Part 2/3 from my MP Footage:

7qIAaXYJcFA

Is it possible to play with someone that only has the demo if I have arma2 and OA?

Probably not, the entire map isn't in the demo

Good news is theres a dedicated server (or so they claim it is) running the demo now.

Just wondering if this is a decent frame rate for the demo ..

Demo frame rate test ..

Intel Core 2 - 2.8Ghz

3Gb DDR 3

ATI HD 5770 1Gb DDR5

XP Home 32bit

Video Settings.

Visability .. 3600

Texture Detail : Very High

Video Memory : Very High

Anisotropic Filtering : Normal

Antialiasing : High

Terrain Detail : Very High

Objects Detail : Very high

Shadows : High

Postprocess Effects : Low

Res : 1400 x 1050

3D Res: 1400 x 1050

32 FPS

How in the world are you getting a better FPS than me when my specs are better than yours AND I'm even running the demo on all normal settings.

ArmA frame rates are miraculous and nebulous things. For example, I was playing a part of the OA campaign, with all settings very high (I was getting 45-60 fps most of the time)and a view distance of 2.5km, but it was a stressing moment and I went down to 19fps, so I turned everything to lowest possible, apart from view distance which I kept and you know what? My frames per second went down to 12. So I scaled the graphics back up and the framerate returned to high teens. Lord knows what is going on with it.