Sign in to follow this  
noubernou

ACRE v1.0 - Advanced Combat Radio Environment - Official Thread (ArmA2 to TS3 Plugin)

I also get the mismatch error on TS3 Beta25 build 11999.

The strange thing though is that I only get it IF I launch TS3 when acre is not loaded in the plugins. Like it expects me to only use TS3 for acre.

If I load acre in plugins and restart TS3 I dont get any errors.

Is this intended?

Not intended, but a bug :)

Our community is having a lot of trouble with ACRE and getting it to install correctly on individual user's systems. The problem seems to be 32-bit copies of TS3 + the dll plugin. Users have to manually go in and delete the x64 dll each time they install, which seems to be creating a lot of confusion (users..what can you do hey? :\ )

Perhaps add a 32-bit installer?

I have never had any issues with ACRE personally, I'm running 64-bit. Great addition to the game.

Edited by dmitri

Hey Jaynus, I don't know if you were on the TG server to watch ACRE slowly unravel with the high load mission it had, but it brought a thought to my mind that might help. (When the problems started, we were firing mortars and going deaf for lack of ear protection. I mention this in hopes it helps diagnose any other issues)

The thought, if you aren't doing something like this already, is to have each ACRE client reply to a message with an 'ack bit'. The timing on this bit can then be used to define when issues come up, inform the user 'resyncing comms', and place the client in a perpetual sync mode (low data stream) for an amount of time to let things clear up and get in order again.

Would be good also to define HPB's and issue warnings. lol

Anyway, love the mod, pleased as can be to watch it evolve. :)

Hey Jaynus, I don't know if you were on the TG server to watch ACRE slowly unravel with the high load mission it had, but it brought a thought to my mind that might help. (When the problems started, we were firing mortars and going deaf for lack of ear protection. I mention this in hopes it helps diagnose any other issues)

The thought, if you aren't doing something like this already, is to have each ACRE client reply to a message with an 'ack bit'. The timing on this bit can then be used to define when issues come up, inform the user 'resyncing comms', and place the client in a perpetual sync mode (low data stream) for an amount of time to let things clear up and get in order again.

Would be good also to define HPB's and issue warnings. lol

Anyway, love the mod, pleased as can be to watch it evolve. :)

Yes. We are attempting to look into the best way to work around this problem with arma2. We requested something from BI:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/12766

But we still need to obviously figure out a solution ourselves as well. We currently do perform ack, etc within the TS3 plugin. So we *can* guarantee the scripts don't stop running for 15 seconds; but they *are* delayed. Its a complicated issue :|

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Our community is having a lot of trouble with ACRE and getting it to install correctly on individual user's systems. The problem seems to be 32-bit copies of TS3 + the dll plugin. Users have to manually go in and delete the x64 dll each time they install, which seems to be creating a lot of confusion (users..what can you do hey? :\ )

Perhaps add a 32-bit installer?

I have never had any issues with ACRE personally, I'm running 64-bit. Great addition to the game.

I've heard of this sort of....is it creating user confusion, or actual "shit breaks" confusion?

The problem is that when things get bogged down like that there is no guarantee that our scripts will even be able to run something like that in ArmA2 and tell you that the coms are desyncing.

If ArmA2 slows down to a point where our scripts stop running for periods of time then that means all scripts are reaching that point (besides the offending ones) and it is impossible to rely on ArmA2 to do anything you are intending it to in any guaranteed amount of time.

Ahh, thanks both of you for the insights. I didn't know if the 'function time available per frame' (or whatever it's called) knocked some doors open in this area. I assume the CPUs, being bogged down, are not able to utilize the given timeslice very well.. Just need another year or two for processors to advance is all.. No big. ;)

Edit: Or, possibly have BIS reserve a CPU for user made functions only... hmm.

Ahh, thanks both of you for the insights. I didn't know if the 'function time available per frame' (or whatever it's called) knocked some doors open in this area. I assume the CPUs, being bogged down, are not able to utilize the given timeslice very well.. Just need another year or two for processors to advance is all.. No big. ;)

Edit: Or, possibly have BIS reserve a CPU for user made functions only... hmm.

We have a ticket in with BIS asking for something like that. We have also found a "possible" workaround that *MIGHT* work. We don't know yet.

Stay tuned.

Quick question,

Many downloaded or pre-canned missions don't bother to include radios in the gear crates by default. Which means without opening, adding and re-packaging we can't enjoy LR radios in these types of missions.

Would it be possible to work out a way of automatically adding either the AN/PRC-117F or the AN/PRC-119 to the gear compartment of any unlocked vehicles? in the same way the PRC-148 gets swapped out on any players?

If you add things automatically then mission makers will then have a harder time to make what they want in their mission...

It have always been the case with addons that add things - You need to add the addon-related stuff to the mission. Same goes with new vehicles or stuff like ACE medical gear.

In any case, if it's just a small mission you'll probably live without the long range radio, and if it's a big one and you have enough players for it then you must have someone that knows how to edit it?

Quick question,

Many downloaded or pre-canned missions don't bother to include radios in the gear crates by default. Which means without opening, adding and re-packaging we can't enjoy LR radios in these types of missions.

Would it be possible to work out a way of automatically adding either the AN/PRC-117F or the AN/PRC-119 to the gear compartment of any unlocked vehicles? in the same way the PRC-148 gets swapped out on any players?

this will not be done now, *especially* since the 148's go up to 5W now.

and it's still programed to implement a batterie system ? because a radio mod without battery it's not a mod =)

(taking the bait)

Batteries? Really? I can understand it for the laser designators which have a very short battery life.

But how long are you expecting to be in the field? if a typical mission is 2-4 hours, how many times are you expecting to change batteries? once? a dozen times?

While that might tick all the boxes for the sim-core among us, battery management just to be able to speak to a team member is a bit much...

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

If you add things automatically then mission makers will then have a harder time to make what they want in their mission...

Agreed, particularly if they are game changing, like adding Javelins, but this is a functionality change which means ACRE is half-implemented on non-native missions.

It have always been the case with addons that add things - You need to add the addon-related stuff to the mission. Same goes with new vehicles or stuff like ACE medical gear.

Agreed also, it is straight forward to un-pbo, add it in and re-package it, was just hoping for something a bit more streamlined - seeing as I see this as an ACRE functionality issue rather than an unbalancing / mission content issue.

In any case, if it's just a small mission you'll probably live without the long range radio, and if it's a big one and you have enough players for it then you must have someone that knows how to edit it?

Yes, 5W on the 148 improves things significantly, guess I'm just unreasonably griping at the loss of radios from the vehicles :)

Anyhow, I've whipped up a small client-side add-on which gives all group leaders the option to spawn a LR radio on the ground in front of them.

Problem solved...

Yes, 5W on the 148 improves things significantly, guess I'm just unreasonably griping at the loss of radios from the vehicles :)

Anyhow, I've whipped up a small client-side add-on which gives all group leaders the option to spawn a LR radio on the ground in front of them.

Problem solved...

Its not that you have lost them, they just are not in there yet. We want to get the basic functionality to work as best as it can. We are already brainstorming and stuff for aircraft radios (how to best implement them, etc).

Also make sure with your clientside addon that its spawning just the normal radios and not any of the custom ID ones. :)

On the note of battery management - its very much up-in-air right now.

We have decided to mitigate and push back battery management until a further date until we implement PRR's and see how they work out. This should mitigate the "massively long range 148" issue, and allow the option to mission makers/communities to decide how they want it.

Thanks for the updates, and the tip on spawning the right radio.

We're all still coming to terms with how good this add-on is and how much it significantly improves our experience.

I am glad you guys are enjoying it. From the trenches sometimes it looks a bit tangled and hopeless! :p

I am glad you guys are enjoying it. From the trenches sometimes it looks a bit tangled and hopeless! :p

Enjoying it!! Understatement of the year. This is an absolutely superb mod that takes the gameplay to a whole new level. The immersion this mod provides is excellent.

Your work is truly appreciated, keep it up :bounce3:

I didn't belive a mod like this would even be possible. The developers should add this to the game.

We usually only play small coop missions with my friend with our own TeamSpeak server. This mod is working out just fine but the long range communications are problematic with only two human players. I usually have a radio operator in my team but it's a pain in the ass to get his radio everytime I need to reach my friend from longer distances. Also how can my friend know that I'm trying to reach him if the AI Radio Operator doesn't do anything about it. It's not a big deal since there are other ways of communications available and this mod has not been made for the AI. It would just be nice if you could use the other units radio when standing next to him.

Keep up the good work :supercool:

Ya, just busted out most of the underlying retransmission code last night. Using an RTO's backpack radio will soon be possible as well. :)

edit : ts3 version 26 work with pluggin

Edited by M1n1d0u

did you try to install ts3 64 bit ? it can be a TS3 problem version