Sign in to follow this  

Anti-aircraft laser gun unveiled! Video!

Woah! When I read the article title, I thought they meant some kind of designator, but no, it's an actual sci-fi style laser beam that simply blows aircraft out the sky.

(The beam is invisible though, no big war of the worlds red laser beams!)

It was only unveiled recently by US firm Raytheon, and is primarily designed for use against UAV's which are moderately easy to target. This new type of laser does not require chemical reactions to gain it's power, which was a very dangerous and inefficient way to get energy. Instead it is a solid state laser, using nothing but glass and ceramics, no danger to crews!

Read the article and watch video here here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10682693

Pretty interesting, I wonder where this technology might be in 10 years!

Richie.

P.S:

I know the development is not new itself, but this new version which was in the news today is pretty interesting. Also good for people like me who didn't previously know about the technology lol!

Edited by Guest

The United States already has airborne platforms that use lasers, I believe they are Anti Ballistic Missile roles, and they may not be in active service yet. I'll do some digging, see if I can find out.

The United States already has airborne platforms that use lasers, I believe they are Anti Ballistic Missile roles, and they may not be in active service yet. I'll do some digging, see if I can find out.

Yeah I think its mounted on a 747 or something like that. Last I heard though it has been failing its anti-missile tests.

They've declared it inviable. Just a toy for testing really.

They've declared it inviable. Just a toy for testing really.

Really ? when was that ? ...... just a couple of days ago i was reading about somebody from Boeing bragging about successful tests and how awesome the laser technology is and that they are thinking of expanding it for other targets.

I dont remember how old the report was though, and as expected I cant seem to find it now :(

Edit: oh wait found it here

Edited by Barely-injured

Yes, it's on a 747. I saw it in SVJ (french paper).

It's pretty impressive but the system used to create the beam most be huge. As with computers, the first task will be to reduce height without power.

Really ? when was that ? ...... just a couple of days ago i was reading about somebody from Boeing bragging about successful tests and how awesome the laser technology is and that they are thinking of expanding it for other targets.

I dont remember how old the report was though, and as expected I cant seem to find it now :(

Edit: oh wait found it here

Here

They'll probably make a new version with the sort of solid state used in the anti-air laser in the original post.