Sign in to follow this  
Jack

Gun laws in the United States

back on topic. would be one main regulation i would suggest and that be a compulsory firearm safety course and or something similar at least cause ive seen alot of stupid behaviour with firearms from the states

A pregnant girl brought a snub nose 38 to my HS back during my junior year, she planned on shooting her boyfriend because he knocked her up and when he found out he dumped her. The heartbreak mixed with the extreme emotions involved with pregnancy caused her not to think rationally and she stole her dad's gun to kill her baby's father. Thankfully someone who was responsible told the school resource officer (BKA school cop) and she was stopped before she murdered someone or killed herself.

Would you shoot a pregnant girl just because she wasn't thinking rationally for very good reasons? I wouldn't, not even if she planned on killing me. Stop being a troll.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, schools and colleges (the younger college students anyway) tend to be full of people either in, or just coming out puberty. Hormones make them a bit tetchy and emotional. Combine this with the amount of bullying and fighting that goes on in schools, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Seriously - the odds of someone losing control of themselves and shooting someone over a minor dispute are thousands of times higher than the odds that a Columbine scenario is going to occur. In the former situation, letting people carry guns turns gun crime from a premeditated crime into a spur of the moment mistake. If you want to kill the guy who you don't like in school, ordinarily you'd have to go home, get your gun, load it and probably wait till the next day to do anything. The odds are that 90% of people will cop on by that stage and not go ahead with it. Encourage everyone to go around with guns? You don't have that cool down period. In a moment of strong emotion, you just take out the gun and kill without properly considering what you are doing.

So yeah, people who suggest that guns should be brought into schools are either trolls, or those who have put zero thought into what they are saying. Not sure which is worse...

Again, this is the problem with American attitudes towards guns (on both side of the fence) - it's all based on fringe cases, without any assessment of the regular realities of the situation that just don't happen to get as much air time on Fox News.

Edited by echo1

Well 21 is the age for carrying a handgun so we're not really talking High School.

So what are you lot going on about when you're talking about bringing guns into school?

In Louisiana the gun laws are less strict ..You can have a cw in your house..and in Louisiana your vehicle is an extension of your home.So you can have cw in your vehicle. Its always a good idea to tell the cops about it when you get pulled over though..And since your vehicle is an extension of your home.Its perfectly legal to use deadly force if someone try's to break into your vehicle.You can also carry a firearm on your person like john Wayne if you want. You just cant carry it in no firearm zones.like federal buildings and schools..or places that serve alcohol..for good reason..I would say 75%to 85% of households in Louisiana have a firearm.:pistols:

hi :)

i haven't read all, but from other discussions like this one i seen always "2 completely opposite" solutions

- one group says "no guns at all, or very very very very strict tests/law",

- second group say "total freedom, yeah" and machinegun in home

i don't understand why "for self defence puropose" there are no "law" that says "gun for self defence, okay, but low power pistol, small capacity magazine"

i seen on Youtube a lot of movies of private owners of Barret sniper rifles, machineguns etc.

sory, what kind of "self deference" we say when we give people sniper rifle or RPD, RPK ???

cyco-killers with UZI, MP5, M4 in schools/streets, why such weapon is legal ?

i believe that "for self deference" Makarov, Revolver etc. would be enough

i believe that in some areas that there is danger, small people number, deserted areas people would need guns, but why with 30 rnds magazine capacity and optic 4x scope ???

So what are you lot going on about when you're talking about bringing guns into school?

College, and yeah a lot of people there are over 21.

i haven't read all, but from other discussions like this one i seen always "2 completely opposite" solutions

i don't understand why "for self defence puropose" there are no "law" that says "gun for self defence, okay, but low power pistol, small capacity magazine"

i seen on Youtube a lot of movies of private owners of Barret sniper rifles, machineguns etc.

sory, what kind of "self deference" we say when we give people sniper rifle or RPD, RPK ???

cyco-killers with UZI, MP5, M4 in schools/streets, why such weapon is legal ?

i believe that "for self deference" Makarov, Revolver etc. would be enough

i believe that in some areas that there is danger, small people number, deserted areas people would need guns, but why with 30 rnds magazine capacity and optic 4x scope ???

Our constitution gives us the right to defend ourselves against not only intruders..but our own government..so yes...we need heavy weaponry..

College, and yeah a lot of people there are over 21.

And why didn't you just say college in the first place?

And why didn't you just say college in the first place?

I guess I was trying to fuck with you?

Yes it seems the people over here are for gun freedom and the people over there are against it. That sums it up pretty well.

Obviously I'm for gun freedom. I was raised around them and they were a big part of my life growing up.

I really think this is a stupid topic/thread as all it does it point out our cultural differences and brings out the worst in us. And I think some of you are just plain stupid on the subject.

I guess when you are used to being suppressed or having less freedom it's no big deal. But that's your problem not mine. I'm glad foreigners don't have a say in our laws as I think most of what I've read here is pretty absurd, especially coming from people who have little to no gun experience. Your laws and beliefs don't apply here, thankfully. You can spout facts about guns all you want that you 'heard' or 'read'. But you really have no clue, do you?

How many people are killed by cars? How many people are killed in soccer riots? How many people are killed by Hippos? Ban them! Ban them all!

How many people are killed by cars? How many people are killed in soccer riots? How many people are killed by Hippos? Ban them! Ban them all!

He is right.. We have 38 thousand deaths due to automobile accidents, 11 thousand of those deaths are associated with alcohol every year.We have around 16 thousand murders every year..only 8000 are with firearms.

Like Mosh says..nobody talks about banning cars or alcohol...or fried chicken..that's even deadlier....

We have around 16 thousand murders every year..only 8000 are with firearms.

If that's true, then I've never seen a more potent argument for banning firearms :crazy:

Regards,

Wolfrug

He is right.. We have 38 thousand deaths due to automobile accidents, 11 thousand of those deaths are associated with alcohol every year.We have around 16 thousand murders every year..only 8000 are with firearms.

Like Mosh says..nobody talks about banning cars or alcohol...or fried chicken..that's even deadlier....

There's a necessity value associated with cars that you don't have with private ownership with guns.

And for those who are going to inevitably try and make a case for guns being essential, look at... well, just about any western country outside of the US.

If that's true, then I've never seen a more potent argument for banning firearms :crazy:

Regards,

Wolfrug

So you want to ban firearms..but not alcohol which is twice the number of deaths??Banning Firearms wont stop murder..as you can see murder exists without Firearms..what about the other 8000 murders..if they were killed by a knife..would you want to ban knives...your reasoning is idiotic...

Well 21 is the age for carrying a handgun so we're not really talking High School.
No, just another VT...

There's a necessity value associated with cars that you don't have with private ownership with guns.

And for those who are going to inevitably try and make a case for guns being essential, look at... well, just about any western country outside of the US.

What about the alcohol...where is the necessity of that?

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

No, just another VT...

Why do you think when people go on a rampage they go to Colleges,High Schools,Courthouses,and Shopping Malls.....Because they all are No firearm zones...All of them..You can do all the damage you want because nobody has a gun..Remember the guy who went on a shooting rampage in front of the white house..he didn't last long..because people had guns there...These massacres didn't happen because of guns..it happened because of a lack of guns..

So you want to ban firearms..but not alcohol which is twice the number of deaths??Banning Firearms wont stop murder..as you can see murder exists without Firearms..what about the other 8000 murders..if they were killed by a knife..would you want to ban knives...your reasoning is idiotic...

How many of those 16,000 murders (not just the 8,000 caused by firearms) would have been prevented had the victim been armed?

This could go round and round 10,000 more pages without proving a damn thing.

I respect everyone's opinions here (well, most anyways). But I have guns. They will not kill anyone on their own. I will keep my guns. Thanks and have a nice day.

Why do you think when people go on a rampage they go to Colleges,High Schools,Courthouses,and Shopping Malls.....Because they all are No firearm zones...All of them..You can do all the damage you want because nobody has a gun..Remember the guy who went on a shooting rampage in front of the white house..he didn't last long..because people had guns there...These massacres didn't happen because of guns..it happened because of a lack of guns..
This coming from the guy who believes nuking everyone and taking their oil is the American way..

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

I respect everyone's opinions here (well, most anyways). But I have guns. They will not kill anyone on their own. I will keep my guns. Thanks and have a nice day.
No one is talking about complete ban on all fire arms. Just firearms that people have no business having. (i.e. SMGs, auto-shotguns, ARs,etc.)

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

This could go round and round 10,000 more pages without proving a damn thing.
That I can agree with 100%.

No one is talking about complete ban on all fire arms. Just firearms that people have no business having. (i.e. SMGs, auto-shotguns, ARs,etc.)

My favorite gun I ever shot is my dad's old Colt AR-15 from the 70s. I also am very fond of the AK I am holding in my profile picture. I shoot those guns on a 90 acre piece of land surrounded by trees. We shoot at frozen jugs, watermelons, old computer parts, etc...

Those guns aren't used to defend anything. They aren't sitting in my lap, or even within reach of me as I type this.

To be honest, a can of mace and a 9mm is really all the home and vehicle protection I need. The big guns are kept in locked cabinets/safes. They are collected as a hobby.

I lost my point somewhere... but I don't agree that people have no business owning them. They are fun and safe to shoot in a proper environment.

My favorite gun I ever shot is my dad's old Colt AR-15 from the 70s. I also am very fond of the AK I am holding in my profile picture. I shoot those guns on a 90 acre piece of land surrounded by trees. We shoot at frozen jugs, watermelons, old computer parts, etc...

Those guns aren't used to defend anything. They aren't sitting in my lap, or even within reach of me as I type this.

To be honest, a can of mace and a 9mm is really all the home and vehicle protection I need. The big guns are kept in locked cabinets/safes. They are collected as a hobby.

I lost my point somewhere... but I don't agree that people have no business owning them. They are fun and safe to shoot in a proper environment.

No this a more safe place. Manchester Firing Line Range There's no reason you need to own them..

What about the alcohol...where is the necessity of that?

Exception that vindicates the rule... Same with cigarettes.

If either of those things were invented today, they would probably be banned (definitely in the case of cigarettes)

The banning of cigarettes will inevitably happen in Western countries, albeit not any time soon. Attempts to ban alcohol have failed because it is something that has ingrained (to pardon the unintentional pun) itself in human civilization. I don't we are attached to guns in the same way. Again, look at countries with strict gun law - they aren't exactly collapsing into anarchy.

So basically you're shifting the blame for gun crime onto the victim for not defending themselves?

No this a more safe place. Manchester Firing Line Range There's no reason you need to own them..

I think a case could be made for private ownership of stuff like heavy machineguns if the weapons were stored, and only allowed to be fired, in a specially designated premises.

Edited by echo1

I think a case could be made for private ownership of stuff like heavy machineguns if the weapons were stored, and only allowed to be fired, in a specially designated premises.
Maybe, but with gun ranges like the one I listed gun nuts can have their fun and the public can feel safe knowing that untrained and immature individuals who maybe law abiding, don't have these types of weapons in their ownership. Edited by Big Mac

Well, if the weapons cannot leave the premises, does it matter?

I think the argument that people would make are that they want to collect or tweak the weapons, and don't want to use some weapon that everyone else is going to use and abuse.

I guess what I'm talking about is a range, except you have to keep the weapons you own in it.