Sign in to follow this  
bowman

Dedicated Server via Steam

Hello!

I would like to run an ArmA II dedicated Server, but i don't get the clue. Also this Thread didn't help solving my problem:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=102958

I have bought the game via Steam, so i don't have the Game-DVD. I want to run the dedicated server as service on my remote server, which is running with OS Win 2003 Server.

I don't want to use my Steam-Account for the server, because i want to play on this server myself. Due to the fact that you can not be online twice with the same Steam Account at the same time, I created a new steam account for the dedicated server. But the server-tool ist not available in the Tools-Section of this account. It's also not available, if I run steam.exe with the command -applaunch 33905.

Is there any solution for my problem? Maybe I do not see the wood for the trees, but no tutorial or faq could help me until now. I don't want to leech an illegal version of the dvd.iso and I don't want to buy the game a second time :P

THX 4 help!

bb,

bow

PS: Sry for my bad english :P

Edited by bowman

On your 2003 Server load up steam with the account that has the game, download the files from steam, the main game and the dedicated server tool.

Exit out of steam, and use the arma2oaserver.exe + proper command line, and you are done.

As for running it as a service, easiest would be firedaemon or whatever it is.

Edit:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters Check the servers area for command line options.

Edited by Jest

oh, so its not needed that steam is running while operating a dedicated server. this was not quite plain to me.

thx, dude!

now my server is working, but i can not find him. i dont know the reason. i think i've done everything, what is needed in the server.cfg, the start parameters and ports are also forwarded. here's an overview:

server.cfg

//

// server.cfg

//

// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname = "Area52 by www.plugandplay.at"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list

password = ""; // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server

passwordAdmin = "BLABLABLA"; // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'

reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server

//reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com"; // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers

//reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com"; // For Operation Arrowhead

logFile = "server_console.log"; // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")

// It can be several lines, separated by comma

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[] = {

"", "", "",

"Welcome @ Area52 Server",

"Server Settings: Veteran, Crosshair = off, 3rdPerson = off, MapInfo = off, VoN = off, CustomFiles = 200KByte, Voting = 33%, PersistentMaps = on",

"Enjoy your stay!",

"http://www.plugandplay.at/",

"",

"Teamspeak 3 Server",

"ts.esvoe.at"

};

motdInterval = 5; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

checkfiles[] = {}; // Outdated.

maxPlayers = 30; // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.

kickDuplicate = 1; // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.

verifySignatures = 1; // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on

equalModRequired = 0; // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers = 1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 0.33; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN = 1; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality = 0; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent = 1; // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES

onUserConnected = ""; // self-explaining

onUserDisconnected = "";

doubleIdDetected = "";

regularCheck = "";

// some ArmA specific stuff - signature verification

onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected

onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected

onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

BattlEye = 1; //Server to use BattlEye system

// These options are created by default

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=1.000000;

Resolution_W=800;

Resolution_H=600;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

// These options are important for performance tuning

MinBandwidth = 320000; //* Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to have (in bps). This value helps server to estimate bandwidth available. Increasing it to too optimistic values can increase lag and CPU load, as too many messages will be sent but discarded. Default: 131072

MaxBandwidth = 10000000000; //Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to never have. This value helps the server to estimate bandwidth available.

MaxMsgSend = 256; //* Maximum number of messages that can be sent in one simulation cycle. Increasing this value can decrease lag on high upload bandwidth servers. Default: 128

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024; //Maximum size of guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Small messages are packed to larger frames. Guaranteed messages are used for non-repetitive events like shooting. Default: 512

MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64; //Maximum size of non-guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Non-guaranteed messages are used for repetitive updates like soldier or vehicle position. Increasing this value may improve bandwidth requirement, but it may increase lag. Default: 256

MinErrorToSend = 0.005; //Minimal error to send updates across network. Using a smaller value can make units observed by binoculars or sniper rifle to move smoother. Default: 0.01

MaxCustomFileSize = 1600000; //Users with custom face or custom sound larger than this size are kicked when trying to connect.

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)

class Missions

{

class DM_Deathmatch

{

template = "MP_Deathmatch.Chernarus";

difficulty = "mercenary"; // difficulty: recruit, regular, veteran or mercenary (see CfgDifficulties in the main game config)

};

class DM_Detector

{

template = "MP_Detector.Chernarus";

difficulty = "mercenary";

};

class Team_TeamDeathmatch

{

template = "MP_TeamDeathmatch.Chernarus";

difficulty = "mercenary";

};

class COOP_Paradrop

{

template = "MP_Paradrop.Chernarus";

difficulty = "regular";

};

class CTI_CivilWar

{

template = "MP_CivilWar.Chernarus";

difficulty = "regular";

};

class CTI_SuperPowers

{

template = "MP_Superpowers.Chernarus";

difficulty = "regular";

};

class CTI_WarWelcome

{

template = "MP_WarWelcome.utes";

difficulty = "regular";

};

class CTI_WhenDiplomacyFails

{

template = "MP_WhenDiplomacyFails.Chernarus";

difficulty = "regular";

};

};

Start Parameters

-config=server.cfg -netlog -port=2302

Ports

Inbound & Outbound:

UDP: 2300-2400, 47624, 28800-28900

TCP: 47624

I guess some of the ports are used for OFP and not really necessary for operating an ArmA2 Server.

Is there something wrong with my settings?

bb,

bow

Hi.

You may need to portforward those ports to your local server IP. But some routers/firewall wont let you see your own server in same home network. Try to connect your server via your local server ip from your game computer. You should ask some friends to test and see if they can see your server online/puplic. I think then you need to change following line in your server.cfg:

reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";

You should also try another server port ;)

Edited by MJK-Ranger

Most likely the Windows Firewall is on and blocking ports needed to report to the master server.

Turning Off the Windows Firewall from the Server Manager screen on the Public Tab then starting your server would be a good way to test this.

Routers between you and the Server could also create this problem.

ok, my a2 server is now working fine. now i want to set up a dedicated server for a2oa. but there is no dedicated server tool für a2oa in steam. so, what can i do?

ok, my a2 server is now working fine. now i want to set up a dedicated server for a2oa. but there is no dedicated server tool für a2oa in steam. so, what can i do?

Download the latest beta patch...

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

It will install the a2oa server files to...

"Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta"

Once you have the server files, Make a shortcut to desktop and change your a2oa shortcut's Start in line to...

"Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead"

Also, make sure you add your server parameters to the target line of the shortcut.

thx for info. i guess that ARMA2_OA_Build_72787.zip is corrupted, isn't it?