Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Something that puzzles me. BI sounds and impacts

I understand that BI went to great lengths to get realistic sounds for OA and am assuming , since they are so muted , that the intent is to simulate what they would sound like using the standard ear protection issued by the military.

What I can't understand though is why they left the bullet impacts that resemble air soft rather than high velocity projectiles. This really detracts from the immersion. I'd much rather have realistic bullet impacts than spraying blood and body parts.

I was using Opticalsnare's WarFX particles but now that he's retired from modding , where does that leave us if BI isn't going to do anything about it?

Edited by W0lle

Yea the sounds are amazing but that problem can really take away from the game

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

i really hate it

I don't think I've ever liked any of the sounds from arma2 or OA - thank god there are sound mods = )

As for projectiles results, it is probably another engine limitation. But than again, most of the time when someone is hit they aren't going to recreate a los vegas fountain with their blood and limbs.

I understand that BI went to great lengths to get realistic sounds for OA and am assuming , since they are so muted , that the intent is to simulate what they would sound like using the standard ear protection issued by the military.

Could be. Honestly I've never considered that.

Could be. Honestly I've never considered that.

I really wish they'd get rid of it. I love the unmuffled sound of the Gatling guns on a Helicopter or Jet. If for realism sake maybe it should be unmuffled unless you add earplugs yourself. It loses a lot of the WOW factor being muffled.

Hehe, yeah me too, that's why I tend to prefer addon sounds with that little Hollywood feel. But why did they have to make that "incomingchallenge" sound so DAMNED LOUD? I play with relatively (no, very) loud sound, and I had to remove all instances of it from my Domination edit to not hurt my ears :p

Hey guys, what's a good sound mod that would work with OA?

Once you accept that it's not possible to recreate "realistic" close up muzzle blasts on your audio setup, it becomes a matter of immersion and balance, of sounding "ok" at variable distances, while trying to maintain some characteristic sound of the original. BI uses dry samples, w/o long trailoffs - adding to the impression of a rather small and "mute" event. Many soundmods do have pronounced treble and mids, partially due to recording source (Youtube, Vimeo etc.). The drawback being that even at long distances it will sound as if the gun was fired in a gigantic tin can right next to the observer. The good thing is you have a choice.

Once you accept that it's not possible to recreate "realistic" close up muzzle blasts on your audio setup, it becomes a matter of immersion and balance, of sounding "ok" at variable distances, while trying to maintain some characteristic sound of the original. BI uses dry samples, w/o long trailoffs - adding to the impression of a rather small and "mute" event. Many soundmods do have pronounced treble and mids, partially due to recording source (Youtube, Vimeo etc.). The drawback being that even at long distances it will sound as if the gun was fired in a gigantic tin can right next to the observer. The good thing is you have a choice.

Very good explanation of sound mods there. I feel BIS have come a long way with regard to sounds since ArmA I, with only a few exceptions (the ArmA II GAU-8 sound comes to mind).

(the ArmA II GAU-8 sound comes to mind).

yes, complete face palm, what where they thinking moment. I have yet to hear if it was changed for OA?

I've heard some truly thunderous, terrifying sounds from bullets hitting Takistani mud-brick in OA videos. Was that a mod?

The GAU-8 changed for OA but it's till nothing on the ACE2 Sound Mod. Same for the M230.