Sign in to follow this  
Big Dawg KS

[OA] BD Light Truck Script

As you may all be aware, with the recent beta patches, light sources now play a very functional role in nighttime engagements. Due to the Takistani's lack of night vision technology, I started deploying them with "light trucks", which is essentially a V3S with a searchlight mounted on it. It looked so cool that I decided to go from a one line "attachTo" command to a more complex set of scripts that lock/unlock the cargo positions that the light gunner takes up when operating the light, and that add actions to allow units to switch between a cargo position in the back of the truck and the light.

With these scripts, there are two possible ways to deploy the use of the lights on these trucks:

1. As a moble light source. While the searchlight is being operated, there is only room in the back for 6 troops (8 total including driver & passenger positions in the cab). Good for nighttime patrols.

2. To support dismounted infantry. When the light is not being operated, you can seat all 12 (14 including the cab positions) troops. Upon dismounting, you can have one man operate the searchlight to help the dismounted troops identify & engage the enemy.

And so I will share it with you. So if you want to make more interesting nighttime missions, give this a try. The download includes a demo mission containing all the scripts (which have info in the headers) as well as a few examples of how to deploy them.

Right now I designed it only for the V3S, but perhaps you could modify it to work with other trucks (Urals/MTVRs).

Download:

From MediaFire

(No readme sorry, but if you really need one I'll consider adding one)

I can not wait to try this. This would be perfect for a mission Im working on. AS of now I have static searchlights mounted with a script I found on here.

This will add alot. Thanks for sharing Big Dawg

So here I have version 1.1. This one includes a configuration for both V3S and Ural varients. Again see headers/mission for info about use.

Download v1.1

Well I would if I could, but I'm still unable to get to so (Prt Scrn's not working). Though it's really simple: just picture a V3S or Ural with a searchlight mounted on the back. The rest of the detail is in the functionality...

Great idea with this script, Big Dawg KS! :)

Nice script :)

Good for night missions.

Btw. I know it's not a bug of your script but I have to post it. :D

arma2oa2010-07-2012-490r34.jpg

So don't use the script if you want to drive with the truck. :)

Nice script :)

Good for night missions.

Btw. I know it's not a bug of your script but I have to post it. :D

So don't use the script if you want to drive with the truck. :)

That's a great shot! But yea, it's unavoidable.

Btw, I recommend using this with the light trucks, for an even more awesome implementation of night fighting.

Great script!

One request:

In a future version could you organize the scripts into a folder? I tried to to it but I seem to be missing a few spots.

It's not really a big deal but it's much easier to keep my missions organized if I can keep the missions main root directory clear of to many scripts. If your scripts were in a folder named BD or something like that we could just place that folder in the mission directory.

Just a suggestion.

Great script!

One request:

In a future version could you organize the scripts into a folder? I tried to to it but I seem to be missing a few spots.

It's not really a big deal but it's much easier to keep my missions organized if I can keep the missions main root directory clear of to many scripts. If your scripts were in a folder named BD or something like that we could just place that folder in the mission directory.

Just a suggestion.

Sort of like this? You shall need to transplant the stuff in the init.sqf into your mission's init.sqf, so the scripts know where to find the other scripts. :)

Also, in this version the light will be locked (no getting in or out) while the truck is moving.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Hi, I am currently Altering your Script for other vehicles like Pick ups and such (Datsun is finished) but when i use the searchlight on the Datsun, i cant go back in the Passenger or the driver seat, when i click on "to back seat" i Dismount. could you tell me where i find the part that controls that, so i could change it? it is the first time i try to do something with scripting, so i am absolutely noob, but i am willing to learn.

regards, TheSystem