Sign in to follow this  
trouble

Challenger 2

wait, at first i though this mod was based on the Dodge Challenger lol, now i see what challenger you talk about. Keep it up man!

I just want to know what the quality looks like. I may DL it then.

If the author doesn't want too, no big deal. I don't need it.

Take care.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Anyway, I guess the horse is dead already. Happy gaming boys - with or without chally tanks.

Yup. Well said.

A picture says more than a thousands words:

nochallenge.th.jpg

I've placed it against a M1A2 and a T-90 so people can't tell i've edited the pic to make it look worse than it is.

Also took the time to take a look at the pbo itself. There are some issues that should be addressed:

- rvmat's don't use the A2 super shaders but ArmA 1 shaders.

- no proper normal and specular maps

- judging by texture count, there are >100 sections which impacts performance

- texture sizes are not ^2 (128, 256,512,1024...you get the idea) which may cause problems with some graphic cards out there.

- sound is of low quality and needs rework.

- class damage throws error in the rpt - tex and mat array is not multiply of 3

- config could probably be shortened by >70%

It is a good base and with some effort it can be turned into an excellent addon. But surely needs a lot of time to invest but as creator says he's happy with.....

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Whatever happened to "Great job on your first try, congradulations."? Instead of giving this person some constructive criticism and a bit of advice on how to improve their addon we instead call it trash and knock it down.

I understand earlier there was a picture dispute but that is no reason to knock the addon itself afterall we all started somewhere.

For a first time I think it looks great, I would suggest that if you plan on having another release you work with surface shading..by perssing U in O2 you can get a sharp surface and I to get smooth.

To understand better how this works create a cube object, then select all the faces and press U, then look at it bulldozer and then press I and look at it again.

Edited by Placebo

Whatever happened to "Great job on your first try, congradulations."?

I think i saw it leaving the building right behind the "thanks for your attempt to help, much appreciated".

For a first time I think it looks great

I would agree if it was released as WIP/alpha but if i undestood it correctly, this should be final.

So as i said, it would have potential if he keeps on working on it, that's why i listed the problems so he might know what to do. If he wants it to do.

well i guess everyone of us has another aspect of quality or when a addon is still wip or final. Even if someone doesnt post pictures or as much information to its release thread as we want there is no need to bash that person so much o_O. We should be happy for everything we can get even if some of us dont like the quality of this addon.... why dont u just offer some help instead of flaming him?

yeah model looked good, only thing diff i could tell from the professional models was the texture mappping. if i had made the model, i would be really happy with myself.

yeah model looked good, only thing diff i could tell from the professional models was the texture mappping. if i had made the model, i would be really happy with myself.

Hello "trouble" :D

The model is ok for a first time, but despite the fact that you can do everything with your own addon, a little bit of politeness doesnt hurt.

Edited by Roger Johnson

Wow, that looks so utterly shit.

No wonder a picture was not in the OP.

I can see no reason at all for such a comment to be necessary, if you cannot be remotely constructive then do, not, post.

Infraction + 2 for insulting a forum member.

I deleted the rest of the crap that followed.

I echo the "nice first attempt, poor attitude" interpretation.

Sadly it seems like more and more people round here think that they don't need to be polite.

We're a community that exists because we share a passion and a similar set of values.

We really appreciate people's contributions ; you only have to look at the constructive feedback that most modders receive (JTD, Solus, SNKman, RKSL, GB-Stalker, etc.)

Being polite doesn't make anyone a girl and/or fanboi. Likewise having no manners doesn't make one an uncompromising hardman, just a single-minded bigot.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Edited by domokun

why dont u just offer some help instead of flaming him?

Please re-read the thread. Help was offered, he had a bad attitude, so people returned that.

Anyways... What exactly is the difference between this, and the earlier challenger tank he released?

Also, could a moderator check savagegoose? I agree with Roger Johnson that he is probably "trouble".

Well maybe its the lack for sarcasm in internet but till some ppl seemed to give mad answers he seemed to just wanted the ppl to download his addon instead of giving pictues^^ i guess if teams like ace or any others would do that nobody would scream like in this thread^^

Is this forum trolling with addons now?

Dude, honestly the tank sucks but then again I couldn't make one if my life depended on it so fair play!

Your attitude is certainly in need of some adjustment however otherwise you'll just find yourself releasing addons for a community you've already alienated.

You guys are totally missing the point. Good job and thanks for releasing this, trouble. No wonder A2/OA sees less and less new content.

You guys are totally missing the point. Good job and thanks for releasing this, trouble. No wonder A2/OA sees less and less new content.

Eh?

We are on the same addons forum aren't we? I see new content every day, produced by people who take pride in their work and cultivate healthy relationships with the people who download and use it.

indeed, UKF already have released a much better chally 2 model. That is why pictures are needed so people can compare it against that one.

I don't think so, UKF chally has some problems with ratio, if you compare Trouble and UKF chally you'll notice that the UKF turret is too long.

I'm waiting for the 1.4 release of the Trouble's chally, I won't replace it with any other anyway!

Edited by Bogart

I don't think so, UKF chally has some problems with ratio, if you compare Trouble and UKF chally you'll notice that the UKF turret is too long.

I'm waiting for the 1.4 release of the Trouble's chally, I won't replace it with any other anyway!

incase you didn't notice the release was july 2010... years ago... apart from digging up a old thread (generaly frowned upon in most forums) i doubt he has kept working on it or even has the model anymore.

on topic: whats to say Troubles challangers turret is too short?, theres nothing else (or anything) wrong with the P:UKF one so you might as well use that one.

Troubles Challenger is a MK1, where UKF is a MK2, maybe thats a diffrent, I havent notice it anyway.

Howeve Troubles Challenger have one big advantage over UKF and that is the sound.

A Challenger is a multifuel tank, not a gasturbine :)

UKFs Chally has been/is in the process of recieving an update, which has been worked on, scrutinized and molested by some sadder basterds than yourself, who have driven, comanded and shot these and other tanks, so I can assure you that if they noticed that a minor bit of armour was in the wrong place then the turret length is likely to be very accurate.

It's fair to say that the aims of trouble's projects and UKF's are different, and so as a result the output from those different modes of thought will give different results. I do not intend to cause conflict through this post, only to dis-spell the need for argument.

There's no harm in saying that the UKF challenger 2 in its current public state is a polished port from arma 1 -and to that end we can instantly know that it will be different from an addon designed from scratch for arma 2.

The UKF Challenger along with all other UKF addons to date has been built upon a solid collection of reference work, communication with fellow addon makers and real life british military and ex-military members to get an addon that as much as possible represents a realistic implementation of the british army's flag ship armoured vehicle.

Where the UKF addon has more baked, stylized textures, trouble's work leaves more to the engine's lighting system. Where the UKF addon has a (honestly less realistic) sound, it has better attenuation and audio characteristics. And so on.

Of course, I cannot speak for Trouble's personal aims when it comes to working on these projects. It would be fool-hardy to do so and only serve to fan the flames.

Where observation stops and opinion begins is that I personally believe the UKF challenger 2 is a more polished and game friendly platform for further work. And to that end a group of us at VCB are continuing work on it (also mainly because we have permission to, another important point)

The UKF team as it once was has mostly faded in to the ulu, however the members that remain and the quality and standard of work they represented is something we wish to carry the torch on, and so while you may not hear much from our camp, we're still trying to make our Challenger 2 the best tank in the game. Hope this doesn't stir the pot too much, there's more important things to life than arguing over two addons!

Edited by DaveP