CoriolisForce

Saitek X52 Joystick

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like I need to go through and bind all the actions to the various buttons and axes for the stick, throttle and rudder. Is this the case, or is there some way of just having it done automatically? The stuff is in the list of controllers, but it doesn't appear in the various actions until I operate a button or direction.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you do have to bind it yourself. On my X52 (RIP) I had the following commands within easy reach on the joystick: zoom in, zoom out, third person, GPS, fire, cycle through weapons, one to auto-hover (for VTOL aircraft - never helicopters other than the Osprey), and I bound the twist to rudder controls,

If you plan on flying a lot, I would suggest that you don't twist the stick too hard... my X52 started to wig out with my rudder towards the end of its' life, making it a little difficult to fly quick through tight spaces (constant fear of inching left or right just a little bit)...

I still need to get a new one.

Edit: Also, bind a button (make sure it's not too easy to accidently hit) to eject. Good for when you have to get out of the bird fast.

Edit: Also, bind a button (make sure it's not too easy to accidently hit) to eject. Good for when you have to get out of the bird fast.

Pinkie switch plus a button sounds good to me (though I don't use eject, as I don't see this a "true" option in real life. I usually try and save the chopper, and usually end up dying :) )

On a helicopter you have to crash land, a plane definitely calls for ejection.

I just got my x52 pro, does anyone have problems during control configuration with arma detecting rotary movement for the throttles X rotary, Y rotary, slider, and sometimes the Z throttle depending on the position?

I have mine set like this:

trigger (first stage): none

trigger (second stage): fire / command fire (this is so I don't fire accidentally)

safe button (2): eject (flip up and press to eject, quite cool)

A button: toggle weapons

B button: zoom in (rarely used)

C button: cycle targets

pinkie switch: push-to-talk <-- this is extremely useful!!

left toggle up/down: auto hover on/off <-- for when I have to read the map.. or pick up the phone ;)

middle toggle up/down: flaps up/down

right toggle up/down: gears up/down

twist grip: look left/right (analogue)

throttle: throttle (old)

rotary 2: throttle (new analogue mode) <-- BIS really messed up here, so the new throttle is my 'taxi' throttle... but it's unusable for heli flying...

E button: toggle GPS

D button: Action

throttle hat: WSAD keys redundancy

mini mouse: mouse redundancy

mini mouse button: free-look

throttle mouse wheel: mouse wheel

throttle mouse wheel click: toggle internal/external cam

slider: zoom in/out (analogue)

hat 1: POV

hat 2 down: scoreboard

hat 2 left: lights

hat 2 right: night vision

that's it I think... it's not a perfect layout... but it's a work in progress that's being always improved... I have the rudder pedals as well, so I left the twist grip to perform a menial task... remember sticks in real life don't twist ;)

the X52 is a very complex stick, so don't expect to have a complete and greatly practical setup overnight... it takes time to identify which commands you use most frequently and how you set them is largely a matter of personal preference...

anyways, I hope my little list helps...

Cheers

Edited by TheHarvesteR

I like the button under the safety catch for ejecting.

Not that I would ever do such a cowardly thing.

There's no time in real life to flip a safety catch, when you are ejecting its because you did what you could until the last second then were forced to eject. Trust me, I was a maintainer for ejection seats on F-18s.

So is my throttle broken since it detects movement on the rotaries, slider, and sometimes throttle?

Sorry for asking again, but I am really frustrated since saitek forums won't send me a verification e-mail.

Also has anyone tried the trigger or some other button for a combination zoom/manual lock/reveal target? It could be useful.

Edited by tcp

So is my throttle broken since it detects movement on the rotaries, slider, and sometimes throttle?

I think it's pretty normal. If you use the test/calibration thing that comes with the drivers which shows which buttons are pressed and all that, you'll probably notice the lines shaking around a little bit. For most of the controls I find if I move it slightly then it'll stop doing this, as if it wasn't "seated" properly. Maybe the detectors are too sensitive when compared to the actual quality of the engineering in the controls.

For rotaries and the slider you might want to put in a small deadzone in the center and/or at the extreme positions to make it easier to put them into a stable position.

I think it's pretty normal. If you use the test/calibration thing that comes with the drivers which shows which buttons are pressed and all that, you'll probably notice the lines shaking around a little bit. For most of the controls I find if I move it slightly then it'll stop doing this, as if it wasn't "seated" properly. Maybe the detectors are too sensitive when compared to the actual quality of the engineering in the controls.

For rotaries and the slider you might want to put in a small deadzone in the center and/or at the extreme positions to make it easier to put them into a stable position.

It is normal, what you need is delete the wrong input and assign your own one.

I do not have any problem in game with the X52 pro.

It is normal, what you need is delete the wrong input and assign your own one.

I do not have any problem in game with the X52 pro.

Good idea in theory...

Problem is, ArmA2 crashes 100% when I do this...

So the game is 100% unusable for me...

Anyone up for a class action? I'd happily pitch in a dollar or two...

I had some trouble assigning the buttons as ii would miss assign hem without noticing at first, accidently wobbling the stick etc.

But no crashes ever.

Would you be willing to consider re-installing the joystick drivers perhaps. Something must be very wrong on a deep level to make it crash I'm thinking.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like I need to go through and bind all the actions to the various buttons and axes for the stick, throttle and rudder. Is this the case, or is there some way of just having it done automatically? The stuff is in the list of controllers, but it doesn't appear in the various actions until I operate a button or direction.

Thanks in advance.

You'll have to do it manually...

But don't get your hopes up about ArmA2. Especially if you're thinking of

flying. The planes and helicopters fly like crap. I wasn't not looking for a

simulator when buying ArmA2, but I was expecting the helicopters and

planes handling somewhat close to what physics demand. But they do not.

ArmA2 is the worst *insert description of hot excrements here* released

since the dawn of computer-games, it will likely crash when you try to

re-assign the controls. (This is due to ArmA2, not the joystick.) If you like

flying, (planes and helis), stay clear of ArmA2, you will regret throwing your

money away.

I created an X52 profile quite some time ago and posted it on the Saitek forums for sharing profiles. I haven't updated it recently and many of the buttons are set based on personal preference, but you can use it as a starting point.

Also, I don't fly much in the game so the settings also might not fit your expectations.

http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=17342

But don't get your hopes up about ArmA2. Especially if you're thinking of flying. The planes and helicopters fly like crap. I wasn't not looking for a simulator when buying ArmA2, but I was expecting the helicopters and planes handling somewhat close to what physics demand. But they do not.

It's no Black Shark, but it's still fun and I prefer to fly it due to the immersion factor. The world in DCS:BS feels so sterile and lifeless; while getting the hang of flying and fighting is a lot of fun and very rewarding, once you've done that the game feels very lifeless and I find it very hard to convince myself that what I'm doing has any impact. In Arma, it's easy to make a mission where the world feels alive and everything you do actually has an impact on your side's success or failure, so in that sense I find it far more compelling.

So long as you're aware that Arma is trying to simulate the impact of various weapons platforms on the battlefield, rather than trying to simulate the platforms themselves, and adjust your expectations accordingly, you'll probably enjoy it. The main problems are technical, in particular performance and the related problem of object draw distance.

it will likely crash when you try to re-assign the controls. (This is due to ArmA2, not the joystick.)

I'm sorry it crashes for you when you try to re-assign the controls, but it's definitely something specific to your computer. I and many other people have mapped joystick controls without any problems at all, so saying "the game will crash if you try to re-assign controls" is bollocks.

Strangely enough, the first time I installed Arma 2 it did configure my X52 controls properly without me doing anything, but the second time it didn't assign them properly so I had to map everything myself. Mind you, the second time was on a new OS and I had a set of pedals as well, and it may have been confused about which "joystick" it should use.

Regardless, I've had no problems mapping the game controls, and I have an X52 HOTAS, Saitek rudder pedals, and TrackIR - 3 different controllers with 14 different axis for it to worry about it.

I'm sorry it crashes for you when you try to re-assign the controls, but it's definitely something specific to your computer. I and many other people have mapped joystick controls without any problems at all, so saying "the game will crash if you try to re-assign controls" is bollocks.

Strangely enough, the first time I installed Arma 2 it did configure my X52 controls properly without me doing anything, but the second time it didn't assign them properly so I had to map everything myself. Mind you, the second time was on a new OS and I had a set of pedals as well, and it may have been confused about which "joystick" it should use.

Regardless, I've had no problems mapping the game controls, and I have an X52 HOTAS, Saitek rudder pedals, and TrackIR - 3 different controllers with 14 different axis for it to worry about it.

x2. Where is the legalize that states "Arma 2 must work with ALL peripherals

"? With that, I have no issues using my Saitek. Have you taken any steps in reproducing the issue on another computer? Have you checked if anyone else is able to reproduce? How do you know that you shouldn't be suing saitek?<vent>Why does everything have to be a lawsuit? Crap I just got a paper cut. I'm suing the paper company for not warning me of this danger.</vent>

Did you guys use Saitek's drivers or the built-in ones for Windows?

Anyone else experience some deadzone issues with the X52 stick?

Set your Arma2Profile at C:\Users\Home\Documents\ like this (the 0.99...) :

joystickSensitivity[]={0.5,0.5,0.5,0.99000007,0.99000007,0.99000007,1,1,0.5,0.5,0.5,0.99000007,0.99000007,0.99000007,1,1};

Set your Arma2Profile at C:\Users\Home\Documents\ like this (the 0.99...) :

OK, I'll try that out.

Thanks!

I've never been able to use all the buttons on my X-52 for some reason. For example I can't use the hat switch on the throttle or the left/right parts of the hat switch on the left of the covered button.

Would be nice to be able to assign a few more commands.

Does using the pinky 'trigger' button act as a 'Shift' style key when used and does Arma 2 recognise that?

I've never been able to use all the buttons on my X-52 for some reason. For example I can't use the hat switch on the throttle or the left/right parts of the hat switch on the left of the covered button.

Would be nice to be able to assign a few more commands.

Does using the pinky 'trigger' button act as a 'Shift' style key when used and does Arma 2 recognise that?

I didn't get too far as my flight control stick is not getting power. But... I'm guessing that if you install the Saitek software (which is a bit bloated) you can then assign all the proper buttons. I also had to install the official Saitek drivers.

But don't get your hopes up about ArmA2. Especially if you're thinking of

flying. The planes and helicopters fly like crap. I wasn't not looking for a

simulator when buying ArmA2, but I was expecting the helicopters and

planes handling somewhat close to what physics demand. But they do not.

ArmA2 is the worst *insert description of hot excrements here* released

since the dawn of computer-games, it will likely crash when you try to

re-assign the controls. (This is due to ArmA2, not the joystick.) If you like

flying, (planes and helis), stay clear of ArmA2, you will regret throwing your

money away.

I can understand you being a bit frustrated but I'm affraid its not ARMA2 but your system/installation thats causing the problem.

My X52 works fine and I've had NO crashes or problems re-assigning keys and functions.

ARMA2 is NOT a fixed wing or rotary wing simulator. Its a battlefield simulation.

If you're expecting something else then stop whining and appreciate it for what it is or go away.

Edited by EDcase

I have a workking X52 Pro now. How do you all like to assign your throttle controls? Are you using the analog option, or assigning it buttons like "Q & Z"?

I am english living in France. I used SST to create a profile for ArmA II infantry avatar. (You can have a separate profile for each avatar and then use clutch to switch between them in-game.) I set keyboard to english for both SST and ArmA II. In SST I was able to correctly enter all the commands as they should be in english. I used SST tester and the x52 is sending the correct signals. I tested in Vista Notepad and again correct signals are being sent. I go into ArmA II and it is screwed. Some signals make it through to my recruit in training most do not and of those some have reverted to french. Only a few things differ between french and english keyboard one is that W and Z are switched around, my x52 has been programmed to send W but in ArmA II it is seen as sending the Z. Basically, ArmA II appears not to recognise most of the joystick inputs and then some of those it translates to wrong french inputs. Anyone know what is going wrong here please?

System is Vista Ultimate 64-bit on intel quadcore 3ghz 8gb memory nvidia 8800gts. I downloaded and installed 64-bit driver from saitek website. I am confident problem is on the ArmA II side.