Takko

Harvest Red vs. Eagle Wing vs. OA Campaign

What campaign you like more and why  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What campaign you like more and why

• Harvest Red
    • Eagle Wing
    • OA Campaign

Which campaign of the 3 do you like most?

I like Harvest Red most because of the convincing plot, long missions

and freedom inside the missions.

What do you like most?

Harvest Red for me also. I felt it was really realistic in what you do (Not everything was blowing up everything you see and killing 50,000 enemies) and the world and story was highly immersive. Only downfalls in the campaign was the funny voices and as much as I liked the realism, the realism made it boring at times (ie: Driving across Chernarus in search of one tiny camp buried deep in the woods), but other than that it was great.

Honestly I think they should make a campaign like Harvest Red again, add some great tension and atmosphere on the levels that Eagle Wing did and occasionally throw in an optional side mission. Like at the end of the first mission of Harvest Red I think it would have been cool if you got to the mountain top, pull at your laser designator and a context sensitive menu appeared and asked if you would like to see this portion of the battle from the perspective of the pilot. If you don't choose the option you go about the mission as usual, if you do the game switches you over to an aircraft pilot and you destroy the targets for Razor team. Upon completing your objectives you switch back, I think that would be a great way to maintain a steady narrative while still giving the players at least some optional variety in a way that doesn't detract from the overall plot.

They need to make a great campaign like Cold War Crisis or Resistance again. Both are still my most favorite campaigns followed by Eagle Wing.

Resistance

Cold War Crisis

Eagle Wing

Operation Arrowhead

Harvest Red

Queen's Gambit

Red Hammer

ArmA 1 Campaign (Forgot the name)

They need to make a great campaign like Cold War Crisis or Resistance again. Both are still my most favorite campaigns followed by Eagle Wing.

Resistance

Cold War Crisis

Eagle Wing

Operation Arrowhead

Harvest Red

Queen's Gambit

Red Hammer

Seconded.

Resistance & cold war are the best so far

Eagle Wing for me. It was short but sweet. :)

I wish they would make a longer campaign of the same quality.

My vote is in for the Res Campaign(Best) followed by Operation Flashpoint and the (Please no one shoot me) ArmA 1 Campaign.

Cheers ChefD

I agree with Phantom, nothing beats the atmosphere and tension of OFP, my fav are:

Cold War Crisis

Resistance

Red Hammer

Eagle Wing

Operation Arrowhead

Harvest Red

Queen's Gambit

Resistance

Cold War Crisis

Eagle Wing

Operation Arrowhead

Harvest Red

Queen's Gambit

Red Hammer

Maybe I'll play through all the campaigns again up to Operation Arrowhead. Red Hammer didn't make me feel as immersed like I did with CWC or Resistance for some reason. Maybe it's because Red Hammer was put together by Codemasters? :D

Hint: Select the text to read it.

Edited by Nicholas

Eagle Wing

Harvest Red

Operation Arrowhead

That's how they are ranked for me although there is not much different between them as they are all good.

EW gives you the most linear path, OA is in between and HR gives you a lot of freedom so there is a nice selection there :)

I never finished any of the campaigns though I own almost all of them :o There was always a mission I couldn't pass and then I never bothered to pick it up again.

The most fun thus far has been Operation Arrowhead. (Hey I like sitting in a tank and blasting 50.000 enemies).

OA (The local is saying there's Taki's in them hills)

Cold War (Is this it sir, WW3?)

Eagle Wing (This is sparta :P)

Red Harvest (So, tell me bout that new house of yours)

Red Hammer (I remember manning a broken tank with just a driver and winning! Also, crazy truck driving through naval bombardment)

Resistance (Hard as nails, first few missions were not too bad, but then I got scared)

ArmA (Here's some C4, blow the bridge, hope you don't get shot and run all the way back when you're done :/ )

Never picked up Queen's gambit.

man i LOVED the resistance campaign. Too bad they have never made a good once since.... EW is definitely the best since the though.

Have to say Harvest Red, despite not able to "do it all". Being one guy throughout increased the immersion for me. Loved how Warfare was put to use to "populate the map with action", liked it when I wasn't force to play Warfare, but could tolerate that small introduction Warfare mission in that campaign - it did serve a purpose and was well placed. The campaign felt like a gradual increase of "stuff to do".

I fail to see Eagle Wing as a campaign at all. It was just a two part "mission" for me. It was good though, with a lot of "new stuff" that is now included in the vanilla game.

Operation Arrowhead was kinda good, but still also kinda meh. I really felt discomfort by having to lead several vehicles as early as the second mission. Leading AI isn't something I'm very good at anyway. I'm an infantryman, that's what I love most about this game. Unfortunately in Operation Arrowhead I didn't get to do much of this work.

---

I think the best possible campaign would be were you after a "selection process" (tutorial) got to choose what you would like to specialize in; Infantry, Special Forces, Armor, or Air Operations. First as regular, eventually you get to lead your own team/squad or vehicle/platoon, and finally leader of several groups via high command. Combined forces all the way :) A lot of interactions throughout the campaign; play the infantryman and you'll get to have support from the other elements that could have been you. Should increase replayability by a lot. Poor poor mission writers though :D

Operation Arrowhead

Harvest Red

Eagle Wing (I didn't even really bother finishing this one...way too unrealistic...)

I really wish the campaigns weren't treated as an after thought to the sim, operation arrowhead was a throw back to the original OFP games but was still WAY too short and still included annoying high command. If I remember correctly, OFP's campaign was around 20 or so missions the same with Resistance and both included really good and believable stories, hopefully one of the of rumored DLCs will have a better campaign, to date the best campaign for Arma II IMHO is a third party campaign...Operation Cobalt :cool:

I have voted Harvest Red even if I did not like it when it came out, except the game play with few enemies and all; it seemed very evolved "technically" speaking.

Arrowhead seems more towards new gamers discovering the Arma series than for the old grunts lol; it is not up to a professional made campaign, if I compare to campaigns and SP missions made by the community. Sometimes objectives are confusing and messy, but I guess it is difficult to please everyone; I don't mind if the campaign is not up to my taste, with a community like we have.

I really haven't liked much since the OFP series. I found Harvest Red boring and hated the warfare crap (ruined such a good story) but it was immersive like the old campaigns. EW I thought was silly and just kinda a blow crap up thing. OA is fun but as said no where near what it could have been.

So I voted for OA.

Cold War Crisis

• + Long
  • + Story Driven
  • + Multiple Roles
  • + Good Characters
  • + Immersive

Red Hammer

• + Defending Montignac Mission
  • + Good Character
  • - Some scripts were weird (Artillery)

Resistance

• + Good Characters
  • + Multiple Roles (Squad Leader, Platoon Leader, Tank)
  • + Limited Supplies
  • + Long
  • - Some levels were unrealistic

Armed Assault

• + Multiple Roles
  • O Average Length
  • + Side Missions that affected the main missions
  • - No Characters
  • - Fairly Unrealistic

Queen's Gambit

• + Decent Characters
  • + Porto level had an interesting moral choice
  • - Short

Harvest Red

• + Open Ended
  • + Decent Characters
  • + Fairly Realistic
  • + Side Missions
  • - Warfare (it was one of few modes I played in ArmA but it didn't feel right in the campaign)
  • + Moral Choices
  • - Short
  • + Multiple Paths
  • + Open levels
  • - One role

Eagle Wing

• + Good Character
  • + Good Story
  • + Interesting
  • + Good Ending(s)
  • - Short

Operation Arrowhead

• + Side Missions
  • + Decent Characters
  • + Multiple Paths
  • + Multiple Endings (kinda)
  • + Multiple Roles
  • - Short

Overall I liked most of the campaigns a lot. I would say that the best possible campaign would be long, have a good story with good characters, multiple paths, roles, and endings, side missions, be decently realistic, and immersive. I would have to say that the order goes like this for me: CWC, Res, OA, HR, ArmA I, EW, RH, ArmA: QG

Operation Flashpoint campaign was good. ArmA II had to many game breaking bugs, so never played the campaign. With new patches I`ve probably test it again later.

The orginal OFP campaigns are simply the best, masterpieces like a very good novel.

Harvest Red could be much more interesting and showed a little bit of the old brillance but was too short and story could have been told much better. A little a wasted opportunity.

Operation Arrowhead is the weakest link. A weak story and in my opinion more a collection of single missions. Ok, there are some themes which will be the background for many missions but the main characters have no chance to gain real personality. And for my taste the background story in Takistan is too political correct. It based on the same on the same terrible wishfull thinking which has led the western countries in the Afghanistan fiasco.

The orginal OFP campaigns are simply the best, masterpieces like a very good novel.

Harvest Red could be much more interesting and showed a little bit of the old brillance but was too short and story could have been told much better. A little a wasted opportunity.

Operation Arrowhead is the weakest link. A weak story and in my opinion more a collection of single missions. Ok, there are some themes which will be the background for many missions but the main characters have no chance to gain real personality. And for my taste the background story in Takistan is too political correct. It based on the same on the same terrible wishfull thinking which has led the western countries in the Afghanistan fiasco.

I agree. The Character build up in OFP was just amazing! You really felt like a grunt with a few good mates beside you.

I wish BIS will go back to this style of campaign ^^

Out of the given options:

Eagle Wing.

Eagle Wing was a self contained story with a strong theme and drive. As a bonus Eagle Wing was reasonably consistent between maps.

Out of all BIS titles:

Resistance hands down.

Reasons have been repeated to the point of boredom and anyway I’d just be speaking to the choir.

-k

There needs to be more tension in games... and I don't mean Halo/MW2 tension of EXPLOSIONS O SHI~~~ but more Silent hill 2/STALKER tension where you're only a few steps away from getting your rectum shafted.

If they wanted realism and atmosphere, making the player and crew actually vulnerable would be a great first step. Also no HUD.

I think it would be good to have the OA campaign playable from any of the 4 players perspectives in single player mode. That way we get to play it 4 different ways or even better swap between roles at any time so making virtually unlimited replayability.