Sign in to follow this  
genbrien

What to upgrade to have better FPS?

Hi all!

1st post here.

I bought ARMA2 and OA last week and I find it incradible. The learning curve is a bit steep but I love how the game is in general.

The only thing that bugged me is that if I want to have good FPS I must play with some settings in NORMAL or HIGH... and it's quite a bummer that I cant use the full potential of that game.

So I'm asking you about what I should upgrade?

Do you think that my 512mb VRAM is limiting me ?

Or do you think that more than 4gb of ram could be helpfull?

Thank you

Here's what I did:

Overclocked my CPU = huge boost (CPU was clearly bottlenecking me)

Disabled all unnecessary services (use this guide: http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm) = decent boost

Cleaned/defragged HD = small boost

Overclocked GPU and disabled Vsync in ATI tray tools = good boost

Your rig is much better than mine and I get 30-40 fps with decent settings. It also really helped me to disable AA and use downsampling instead. Other than that just try playing with lots of settings. This doesn't really answer your question but it might help. Your rig should theoretically be pretty good but with ARMA you never know...

These games are VERY CPU intensive, more than the GPU in fact so your processor would be most likely better to upgrade rather than a video card but it's hard to say without any specs.

I have a Pentium D lol, but will Vsync raise FPS a lot too? I don't want to get a new CPU right now as I'm getting an i7 next year.

CPU only (for fps), and RAM if you are experiencing stuttering. But if you are running 3,9 GHz then i give up :D

You shouldn't need to, 3.9Ghz is fine, you've plenty of ram, 512MB is just ok, but should be fine, this game is more cpu intensive. Make sure You're running the latest beta patch for Arrowhead, the beta's introduce the large address tweaks and multi-core optimisations Arma 2 got in 1.07, these aren't in OA vanilla 1.52.7181. If You're running combined operations You'll be running Arma2 in Arrowhead

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103034

My pc is v similar to Yours and I've no real problems running at 1920x1200 in OA, 3200 viewdistance. Try the following settings:

3d resolution to 100%

Af & Shadows - v high

Tex detail, vid memory, terrain & objects - High

Postprocessing - low

AA - disabled

Arrowhead doesn't have a crossfire profile yet, therefore You gotta rename the beta arma2oa.exe (one in expansion/beta folder) to arma2 to get the game to use of both gpu's. You'll see a "Launch Arma2 OA Beta Patch" shortcut in the main directory, copy it to Your desktop and then right click it, click properties and edit the target line to ".......ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2.exe" -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -world=empty" to suit the renamed beta .exe in the beta folder

If this runs ok You can turn up pp & aa to Your own preference, I prefer them this way.

BTW, defragging Your game directory is v important also

Edited by PogMoThoin

I have downloaded Ati tray tool and disabled VSYNC for both ARMA2 and OA

I passed the 3 benchmark and I got those results:

ARMA2 #1: 48

ARMA2 #2: 15

OA: 47

Settings are:

Texture: Normal

Video memory: high

Aniso: 16x

AA: 0x

Terrain, Object, Shadow, PPE: normal

3d res: 100%

Interface size: very small (dont know what it changes...)

If I'm always running ''combined operations'', will I have somthing to do/care about OA or everything that matter will be ARMA2???

Edited by genbrien

I have a Pentium D lol, but will Vsync raise FPS a lot too? I don't want to get a new CPU right now as I'm getting an i7 next year.

yes you'll go from 15-30 to 30-60

I always run VSYNC ON.

v.1.52.71612

OA #1: 45 FPS

OA #2: 47 FPS

v.1.52.72107(beta)

OA #1: 45 FPS

OA #2: 47 FPS

VSYNC OFF:

v.1.52.71612

OA #1: 47 FPS

OA #2: 49 FPS

v.1.52.72107(beta)

OA #1: 47 FPS

OA #2: 49 FPS

Edited by MJK-Ranger

I don't really have an option, Ati Tray Tools doesn't seem to like my PC, and it makes my GPU fan go into overdrive seemingly at random. That said when I did get it working turning Vsync off made absolutely no difference on either my desktop or my laptop, so meh.

The game also use the Hard Disk, slow HD affect FPS performance also. We have to ask to somebody with a SSD