Sign in to follow this  
N.o.R.S.u

Idea for drop weapon-feature

Not sure if this topic belongs here but anyway. I've seen pics of drop weapon-feature in Resistance and it's used through action menu. This would be very nice and long awaited add to the game. But when you have lots of different items with you, dropping them through action menu can be a bit hard and slow. I've made a nice solution to this in my head, here it goes:

Press your map key (M) to show map and notebook. In notebook you'll see the GEAR section where you can choose your weapons before missions if possible or just read some historial about the weapons. You could also drop weapons from the gear section, just by right clicking weapon/item you want drop. This would make it much easier and faster. Action menu option could also be there and both these features could be used if wanted by enabling/disabling them from the options menu.

-comments

Yeah idea is actualy great, and im sure that others had something like that in mind. And it really would be useful to have this feature, cos sometimes when u want to get rid of Law or RPG u have to take something else, then take the gun again, and its waste of time. So this would be great to have it wink.gif

I guess to each his own, but switching to your map screen just seems a bit tedious. my mouse's scroll wheel works just fine.

Lets see.

Combat Situation 1:

Use of action menu, look at the menu, scroll through and drop a weapon/ammo/etc. You still have a view ahead of you, and all around if need be (though it takes some concentration from finding the thing to drop)

Combat Situation 2:

You reach into your backpack (aka "M" key), pull up the map and look at it. You open the briefing weapons menu, choose what weapon/ammo/etc to drop. You have zero visibility. If you abort, it takes a short time to readjust to the view (if someone stands 2m in front of you you are likely to go WHOA! but not fast enough to shoot).

Hmm....

What would be a hazard in a combat situation? Take a guess...

I would say that if you are in immediate contact with the enemy and you are dropping weapons, I would say that you are enough of a hazard to yourself that the enemy wouldnt have to bother.

Well that's why I suggested that both features would be welcome wink.gif. Action menu way would be useful when in combat and this weapon menu way after combat.

What if you're the LAW soldier ?

Will your action menu look like this?:

---

Weapon LAW Launcher

Reload M16 Mag.

Drop Weapon LAW Launcher

Drop M16

Drop M16 Mag.

Drop LAW

---

Seems like an awfully long list. Now imagine you approach a dead soldier, then the list will almost double !

I agree the Drop Weapon feature is great, but the action menu system is clogged as it is, adding more options than they are now will indeed get buggy.

Why not map out a hotkey to drop your hand-held weapon, a magazine, and a secondary-shoulder weapon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ April 24 2002,17:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why not map out a hotkey to drop your hand-held weapon, a magazine, and a secondary-shoulder weapon.<span id='postcolor'>

This seems better than the action menu one. The map one would also be ok. Its good to have a choice between 2 of them. Maybe even selecting which one you want in options?

maybe not a map screen but maybe just a gear screen. hit g or something and a gear screen pops up. map takes up whole screen which can be a bit iffy for me in a combat zone since i can't see my surroundings. as long as you can pick the weapons up again after you drop them it should be fine. my mouse is a couple years old and sometimes when i hit the middle mouse button the scroll goes too. not nice for satchells sad.gif

I mean I applaud BIS for implementing this much needed feature, but ultimately it may be doomed with poor design execution. Though I'm waiting to see the final product and judge then.