Sign in to follow this  
Comrade12

Aiming animations

I suggest when player is looking through sights that there should be two animations for it. Because when you do look through the sights you are already in that animation from THIRD PERSON.

You know?

So basically you are looking through the sights animation ALL the time@!.

Unless you lower your weapon of course.

What would be realistic would be one animation for having your weapon out and the other when you are actually aiming.

Goh I had to get that off my chest!!!!

Agree with you. It looks stupid when everyone around you is aiming down the sights and pointing the muzzle at you as they were about to shoot you although they just talk to you or planning the next steps of the mission.

What would be realistic would be one animation for having your weapon out and the other when you are actually aiming.

Yes that would make perfect sense -- except in games you're always aiming! Even when you're not using your sights.

People want to be able to shoot without using sights.. Right? Or what?

Well, assuming that they do, there's one key question to answer:

Could 1st and 3rd person stance be unequal and not look odd?

ie 1st person stance shows weapon pointing forward while 3rd person shows it resting.

I suspect most would argue that it would look odd.

So if that isn't a possibility, we have...

Option 2:

An unshouldered but still pointing forward stance. ie a hip shot stance.

This sounds good from the base of it, and I mean no disrespect to rambo or schwarzennegger, but no one in their right mind fires a weapon unshouldered and certainly not with any accuracy...

And if you agree, I present you...

Option 3:

Imagine an unsighted, shouldered stance that doesn't point the weapon straight forward, but slightly down, maybe 20-40 degrees, in a combat-ready mode of sorts -- Then when you pulled the trigger he would quickly raise the weapon before actually firing, and then lower it again afterwards (immediately or after a while - ie a few seconds).

I imagine this would have to be a very quick animation, or gamers might revolt.

Now I think it "sounds" sexy, but I admit, without seing it in action, I can't be sure that it actually is.

discuss

Agree with you. It looks stupid when everyone around you is aiming down the sights and pointing the muzzle at you as they were about to shoot you although they just talk to you or planning the next steps of the mission.

Theres a button that allows you to lower your weapon and place it across your chest. Using this solves the problem you mention... and reduces friendly fire incidents.

Im glad you guys see it to. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!

I like the third option. I dont think professionals would look good firing from the hip. :P

lol it would look something like this I think.

Rambo_cuts_loose_lg_291.jpg

Edited by Comrade12

while that is rambo you'd look like a fool shoulder firing the m60

Theres a button that allows you to lower your weapon and place it across your chest. Using this solves the problem you mention... and reduces friendly fire incidents.

I know, but still you don't aim down the sights ALL THE TIME. There is definitely missing a position because in your 1st person view he is holding the gun at the hip when you are not in IS modus. That position is missing in the 3rd person view. You cannot hold a gun that way ALL THE TIME. You have to be some kind of machine to do that otherwise your arms would feel like bricks after 5 minutes.

How it should look in the 3rd person view is up to the developers or modders.

Option 2:

An unshouldered but still pointing forward stance. ie a hip shot stance.

This sounds good from the base of it, and I mean no disrespect to rambo or schwarzennegger, but no one in their right mind fires a weapon unshouldered and certainly not with any accuracy...

This would be one solution I guess. I can't remember, but couldn't you do hip firing in OFP? At least when you were running you fired from the hip when I remember correctly?

Option 3:

Imagine an unsighted, shouldered stance that doesn't point the weapon straight forward, but slightly down, maybe 20-40 degrees, in a combat-ready mode of sorts -- Then when you pulled the trigger he would quickly raise the weapon before actually firing, and then lower it again afterwards (immediately or after a while - ie a few seconds).

I imagine this would have to be a very quick animation, or gamers might revolt.

This would look odd. The soldier would have to raise the weapon so fast that it would look not good at all. I think option 2 is a good start.

In my opinion how OFP did it was okay for me. Your soldier holds the gun at the hip when not aiming down the sights and shoots it in this position too when not in IR modus. When you press the right mouse button he raises the rifle to the shoulder and fires it in IR modus. That looks much more natural than what we have now in ArmA. That is the way it should be (in my opinion).

You can still add the "holstering of your gun" when you press the Control key twice. But this shouldn't be the only way to lower the gun. There should be some kind of hip position or rest position as in the 1st person view when you are not aiming down the sights. A soldier cannot hold the gun automatically all the time in an "aiming position". This extra animation should be added.

Edited by Curry

To further the Option 3 idea:

I've searched around and it wasn't easy to find anything, but in this vid

you can see the guy lowering his weapon ~30 degrees +/-. A "Low Ready Position".

Thus what we need is a "Low Ready Position" stance.

If you pull the trigger while in Low Ready Position it should quickly raise the weapon to High Ready Position, and then keep it there for a few seconds or as long as you're still firing.

High Ready could also be triggered and maintained by going to and from Sighted.

So there would be 3 stances:

- Lowered (safe stance)

- Low Ready (the new one)

- High Ready (sighted and unsighted is the same)

So how fast should raising the weapon be? 50ms? 200ms? I don't know, but I don't think a small delay would be a bad thing really. It seems natural when going from "casual" (unsighted) to firing that there would be a little delay.

Judging by the video I think it could work.

Also I think this stance is kewler than rambo's.

To further the Option 3 idea:

I've searched around and it wasn't easy to find anything, but in this vid

you can see the guy lowering his weapon ~30 degrees +/-. A "Low Ready Position".

Thus what we need is a "Low Ready Position" stance.

If you pull the trigger while in Low Ready Position it should quickly raise the weapon to High Ready Position, and then keep it there for a few seconds or as long as you're still firing.

High Ready could also be triggered and maintained by going to and from Sighted.

So there would be 3 stances:

- Lowered (safe stance)

- Low Ready (the new one)

- High Ready (sighted and unsighted is the same)

So how fast should raising the weapon be? 50ms? 200ms? I don't know, but I don't think a small delay would be a bad thing really. It seems natural when going from "casual" (unsighted) to firing that there would be a little delay.

Judging by the video I think it could work.

Also I think this stance is kewler than rambo's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would only work or look good when there is a slight delay between raising the weapon and shooting it. If you want this, BI must only remove the lowered position when you're not in IS mode and replace it with the "holstering rifle animation" which you can activate by pressing the control key twice but without having to press anything because it would be the standard animation. It wouldn't be possible anymore to shoot without a delay.

I think this won't work for most of the people. ;)

It should be a position where you can shoot without a delay but without the sighted position in 1st and 3rd person.

Edited by Curry

I really dont think there is an aiming animation because when look through IS the camera only moves to make an illusion of you doing it. Well thats what it looks like anyways.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Yes that's exactly what I wrote. You even quoted it!

And like I also said a small delay, ie 100ms, may not be such a bad thing!

If your character would lower weapon say 5 or 10 seconds after firing or being sighted, I think that might work.

Will people be up in arms about such a change? Oh definitely. Every tiny miniscule change has had its own major revolt on this forum. That won't change any time soon I'm sure.

But heck, I'd welcome it! ;) My theory is that No great idea ever gets realised unless a lot of angry people really thoroughly and genuinly despise it.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.. maybe it's just a rubbish idea.

My theory is that No great idea ever gets realised unless a lot of angry people really thoroughly and genuinly despise it.

:) Recoil

In terms of realism I think it should be incorporated or looked at.

The weapon could just point slightly inwards after a set time of non use to not look like your aiming for a persons head.To bring it back to firing position you click Rmouse...optics up Rmouse again.

I think BF2 has this lowering of weapon.In videos it looks like the weapons lower a bit when standing still.

You can get this if you set lower weapon to Rmouse and optics to HoldRmouse....or the other way around.Only thing is the weapon goes straight to optics instead of shouldered.

Edited by Wolfstriked

I suggest when player is looking through sights that there should be two animations for it. Because when you do look through the sights you are already in that animation from THIRD PERSON.

You know?

So basically you are looking through the sights animation ALL the time@!.

Unless you lower your weapon of course.

Goh I had to get that off my chest!!!!

It had been suggested a few times, and it hasn't changed. So it's probably not a simple task or a high priority for the devs.