Sign in to follow this  
n00b1

Stinger missiles seem useless.

Against AI choppers... The instant the stinger is launch they pop flares - with an almost 100% success rate at fooling the missile. I have tried firing from a number of ranges and target aspects with very little luck. Is this the way it is intended? Makes the Linebacker pretty useless unless you want to waste a lot of HE rounds and cross your fingers.

they have always been useless to me, I never could get it to work in arma 2. :p

yeah AI using countermeasures is not right atm.

I agree... AI has cat-like reflexes right now on the flares.

It's programed automatically I think using the "incomingMissile" event handler. The AI pilot isn't deciding to do it at all it's event handler driven... I think.

Which still is bugged though, since only the most modern and expensive aicraft have launch flash detectors, which is the only way to my knowledge one can by machines detect an incoming passively guided missile.

Popping flares is a thing done by intuition and tactical procedures - a precaution against missile launches, since unlike an actively guided missile (for example radar guided) you get no missile lock warning.

I do understand however that such a thing is hard to code for the AI, but then at least it should be more random if they use flares or not, and how successful flares are (flares are launched several at a time in pre-programmed sequences for a reason. You need to spew them out for a fairly good success rate).

It's programed automatically I think using the "incomingMissile" event handler. The AI pilot isn't deciding to do it at all it's event handler driven... I think.

Current evidence points it it being hard-coded, and not using any of the scripting event handlers. Now, whether or not how it is handled internally is similiar to how the scripting EH works is another question...

What evidence you ask? AI will pop flares when being lased by laser designators (which IMO is questionable, since only certain aircraft are fitted with laser warning systems, and also flares won't do anything against a laser threat). IncomingMissile EH won't detect that.

The only time ive had any luck with shoulder launched stingers is firing straight at the chopper from a nose on position whilst its below probably 100 feet and i always hit the target hasnt failed me yet.

Good intel Big Dawg. Either way they are way too Jedi when it comes to flares. I guess the problem is that flare usage in real life is way more cerebral than the AI are capable of. You lay them out during attack runs to prevent lock in the first place but that would mean the AI would have to distinguish attack runs from any other flight.

There was an addon aircraft for ArmA1, F-117A nighthawk, that actually changed its "IRlock" status from true to false while flying based on whether or not the weapons bay doors were open or shut. You could be shot down in "stealth" mode but only via visual detection, no tracking weapons. That could be a fantastic way to implement MANPAD denial with flares in helicopters and CAS aircraft.

I've noticed a 3-way camera bulge on the tail of the MH-60 in ArmA2OA. Is that for LWR or is that actually launch signature detection equipment?

I tested it in the editor right now and I must say that I always hit the air vehicle when it just passed me and the missile only missed or got distracted by flares when the chopper could pop more than 2-3 flares. A shot from in front of the chopper always resulted in a hit.

I tested it in the editor right now and I must say that I always hit the air vehicle when it just passed me and the missile only missed or got distracted by flares when the chopper could pop more than 2-3 flares. A shot from in front of the chopper always resulted in a hit.

Yeah for some reason it seems that no matter what the distance if releasing facing the cockpit the flares never affect the lock of the stinger.

I've noticed a 3-way camera bulge on the tail of the MH-60 in ArmA2OA. Is that for LWR or is that actually launch signature detection equipment?

The laser warning receiver that would be on the MH-60 is the AN/AVR-2B, at the locations shown in that picture. It's not on the OA or ArmA 2 models (not sure why), but the Apache model has them. If a laser beam were shining on one of the receivers, it should warn the crew.

Hmmm, i placed 3 MI-24's with seek and destroy waypoints over an airport where i had placed 3 Guerilla AA squads... 2 hinds were shot down even though they deployed flares and the 3rd wiped out the AA teams... Stinger didn't seem useless to me.

I agree... AI has cat-like reflexes right now on the flares.

well its realistic . in real world they pop these flares by automatic

;)

Use 2 guys with stingers until they fix it (if it truly is a bug). Fire one stinger wait till his first flares are done fire the second, usually works for me

I think its fine, I just wait until the target is flying away from me and then fire the stinger, hits 90% of the time. Don't bother firing at a target side on or coming straight towards you. That never works in my experience.

well its realistic . in real world they pop these flares by automatic

;)

But no at the same moment the AA soldier squeezes LMB. :p It takes a couple of seconds.

There are enough cases where the one hit didn't even know what was coming until he was hit.

I have no problems with Stingers. Against helis at least. Get the AI pilot to attack you. Shoot at him, get his attention, get him angry. Wait until he prepares for his attack run and launch after he passes you. Solid cover is a must :p

But no at the same moment the AA soldier squeezes LMB. :p It takes a couple of seconds.

There are enough cases where the one hit didn't even know what was coming until he was hit.

You right.

On a related note, I never knew that the worlds militaries had integrated USB Mouse support into their weapons. :p