Sign in to follow this  
echo_2-7

Jet Pilots

Don't know if anyone noticed this before but since OFP till A2, the jet pilots are the same as the heli pilots meaning they don't have the equiment like fighter pilots, such as the wrong helmet and the lack of oxygen masks. Is this a glitch?

Lol, why? Won't it be more realistic with proper fighter pilots?

Someone did make an Addon for ARMA1 but I dont think it ever got put into A2, can't remember the exact name of the addon..

Arma 2 is mostly a infantry simulator, and it would be a trivial feature at best.

Not saying I wouldn't like a bit more realism, but a small problem could also be that if the fighter pilot ejects, he will then be running around fully kitted with a mask on. :p

never mind the kiddies that will run around on the servers doing darth vader impressions

"Come to the dark side, mr.Armstrong" :p

I think the "generic pilot" is a good idea. When pilots are on ground they

look better, than with full gear on and goggles and everything on. including oxygen "tube" etc...

BIS certainly thought it was important to have jet fighters and attack helos in this "infantry sim." The difference between a helicopter and a fighter pilot model is just as important.

BIS certainly thought it was important to have jet fighters and attack helos in this "infantry sim." The difference between a helicopter and a fighter pilot model is just as important.

Bis also thought it was important enough to feature a portapotty... Except it's not functional! Not even as a hiding place! I find that every bit as important.

Anyway, I guess what we need is... head attachments? That way it could be taken off and on at run time. We already got glasses, I guess we could also have oxygen masks, helmets, hats, tattoos, skimasks, scars, earrings (left/right/both ears), piercings (light or christmas tree) and other cranial accessories.

I've made it sound worse, haven't I..

The difference between a helicopter and a fighter pilot model is just as important to me.
FTFY

Given that a paraplegic civilian(or infantryman) can jump into and fly any of the aircraft at will, it isn't that important. There are a ton of things we all wish that BIS had included, facts are that they did not. Bis probably decided that it wasn't a worthy time investment for the return. Rather consider the simpler projects they might have completed in the same amount of time.

Unless you're in a mission scripted to only allow all pilots to operate UH-60s and only jet pilots to operate jet aircraft by soldier class... oh wait you can't do that because there is only one man class for all pilots.

preeeetty sure it's possible to script allowances on a per unit basis. So some pilots can do cobra, some can do apache and some can do portapotty.

Edited by wamingo
my sentence was foobar

Not on a unit basis, a unit classssss basis. Meaning, if(_unit isType WestJetPilot) then{_canFlyJet=true};

If you want to limit specific pilots to specific vehicle classes there are many ways of doing so without needing a separate class of pilot. It all comes down to resource (BI's), there's no point in saying this or that should have been added without acknowledging that something else would have had to have been left out and even then the next person might (probably will) value such trade-offs entirely differently. You can't expect to have everything you might want in a simulation of this scope, I'd have thought that was obvious.

With all due respect, I think this thread is kind of pointless.

Why do people criticise the most stupid insignificant things? I much prefer BIS spending their time on more important things.

And don't say it's an easy thing to implement, I don't think some of you understand just how busy BIS are! They need to focus on important features, not something as silly as what a pilot looks like!

Just saying. :)

Ok. Here a question. Due to the F-35 pilot HUD is through the helment. How would you go about resolving that issue. Also. If you can remove and put on bakpacks. What would be stopping a scipt from being made for the pilots from changeing in and out of the suites? I wait for your responce.

backpacks are a separate model. In order to wear another suit, there would have to be a separate model which would make the first redundant.

OK. Here a question. Due to the F-35 pilot HUD is through the helmet.

You would do exactly what the AH-64 does with the HMD in ArmA2OA already.

I personally like the inclusion of the Pilot (light) model I think it is called. The one that doesn't have a helmet at all. It always felt weird with pilots having their helmet on all the time. I for one would love if there was a jet fighter pilot model... but there are things that are far more important than that which I would love to see added first.

Ya i would love to see some fighter pilots.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2882 PKW did the Jet Pilots in ArmA 1 and they were some good one's at that. Hope to see some in OA as in ArmA 2 as more and more jets come out like the Force's EuroFighter Typhoon FGR4 by RKSL its kind of funny to have an US pilot flying it. Yet if somebody can get PKW pilots over to OA and ArmA 2 that would be nice too.