Sign in to follow this  
rizla27

Multirole, Fighters

ok Boh, you need to get with the times when its come to aircraft.

everybody knows A-10`s are officially tank busters. but i wanna see some dog fights.

OPFOR needs: L-39 Albatros

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_L-39_Albatros

BLUEFOR needs: F-16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-16_Fighting_Falcon

theres already an addon for the F-16. so where is it in the official game ???

wouldnt be too hard to add it a patch i would of thought.

anyways theres my 2cents.

I don't think addon makers would appreciate BIS taking credit for their work.

To say it in short...the OA map is to small...it is even way to small for the Jetplanes already in the game. Currently you practically doffight all the time near Air defense fire...AA wins.

Longest Dogfight I had was 8 Minutes in L-39 Vs, A-10 the A-10 had only a few hitpoints left and was smoking badly when I had o abort because of empty Gun (only 150 rounds)

I was shot down by Sidewinder by the Player in his smoking A-10 on darkred status on RTB.

Since the planes have no kinf of damage modeling dogfighting is just a pain in the ass...the one with more hitpoints wins, as the plane does not suffer from having lost 99% of its hitpoints.

I found out that A-10 do even survive collisions by L-39 and still fly on...so this is pure nonsense.

If you want a multirole fighter for A2 / OA then I will say one addon makers name... "RKSL".

Check out Rocks new typhoon, I'm sure it will fill the hole :p

Arma 2 has F-35B and AV-8B.

The AV-8B is not used as a fighter, but as a close-support aircraft.

Although the F-35B can be used as a fighter.

Edited by Nicholas

The AV-8B is not used in aerial combat, but as a close-support aircraft.

Although the F-35B can be used in aerial combat.

In the right situations any close-support aircraft can get involved in aerial combat. They may not intentionally put it into a dogfight but that doesn't mean it couldn't end up in one. It is definitely capable of air-to-air combat since it can carry sidewinders. Granted, I would rather be in an F-15 or something than an AV-8 or A-10.

Air Attack: AV-8

I never said it can't be involved in aerial combat, I simply stated it's not used for aerial combat. It can indeed get involved in aerial combat, but it's never used specifically for that.

I never said it can't be involved in aerial combat, I simply stated it's not used for aerial combat. It can indeed get involved in aerial combat, but it's never used specifically for that.

My freind can i point you towards the falklands war where the Harrier was intentionally used as a air to air fighter providing CAP to the fleet against the argies planes. And it won the air war and the argies respected the plane for what it did.

Most planes that are out there today are primarily used in CAS because the wars that are taking place today are against insurgencies that very rarely have any air assets what so ever.

My freind can i point you towards the falklands war where the Harrier was intentionally used as a air to air fighter providing CAP to the fleet against the argies planes. And it won the air war and the argies respected the plane for what it did.

Most planes that are out there today are primarily used in CAS because the wars that are taking place today are against insurgencies that very rarely have any air assets what so ever.

The UK Harriers GR.3 where multirole versions and only had to fight against Mirage III, The AV8B is a dedicated A-G plattform with limited A-A capability. I dont think we can compare this two different breeds.

That's because of the nature of the war. UK had no land-based air fields and instead had to fight with a carrier air group, i.e. Harriers. A necessity of naval-based warfare rather than a preference ;)

We'd still have been using Harriers even if there were land-based airfields. If I remember correctly, Avro Vulcans were used to bomb targets in the Falklands from their base in the UK. Hard to remember details though, I was 4 at the time.

The UK only have carrier based harriers to provide CAP so they are intended in that role as air interceptors, but are equally able to provide CAS. We unlike the states have no proper carriers per se. we have ski ramp equipped pocket carriers as such. So we cant launch and recieve conventional aircraft to my knowledge.

To say it in short...the OA map is to small...it is even way to small for the Jetplanes already in the game. Currently you practically doffight all the time near Air defense fire...AA wins.

hah having just come out of bf, this seems massive. Also, tmk, i thought that the desert map that comes with oa was infinately large

hah having just come out of bf, this seems massive. Also, tmk, i thought that the desert map that comes with oa was infinately large
In most serious missons theres a scripted deathzone around the detailed map to avoid offmap base building...this was a real annoyance in ArmA II Warfare.