Sign in to follow this  
LandShark126

ArmA OA DVD Not running?

Hey guys, I'm a little stuck here.

I recently got myself a copy of Operation Arrowhead and when I enter the disk into the DVD drive it makes various low noises but never runs. No menu pops up at all, and when I open 'My Computer' it goes white with 'Not Responding' until I take the disc out.

Is it something to do with the disc? Or my DVD player? It'd be a real shame if it was as it'd mean more expense, money of which I sadly do not have. :/

Thanks for the help in advance.

It's possible the DVD is bad but it could be your DVD Rom firmware, have you checked if there's an update available? Have you tried copying all the files to your hard drive then installing from there? Have you tried to read the disk from another DVD drive? If all those fails it may be worth you changing the disk at wherever you bought it from.

Seemingly there is no update for my driver. However, the disc installs fine upon my laptop and I can play, however due to it's age I won't be able to run the game itself sufficently.

Now, come to mention it, this is the exact same thing which happened to me with ArmA 2, though in the end I went ahead and brought the Steam version after giving up. Sadly I don't have the money for a new DVD drive nor the Steam version. Anyone got any potential ideas?

What you can try is to load the DVD in your laptop and then transfer all the data from the DVD to your computer using a UTP cable or a thumb drive. It should install from that just fine. The game offers an online activation as an alternative to disc check so that plays in your favor too.

The fact that your DVD won't read some discs points to a more serious issue though. Both ARMA 2 and Arrowhead come on a dual layer DVD. Is it possible your drive doesn't support dual layer technology?

Now the notion of my DVD player not supporting dual layer would make sense. That'd quite easily explain why ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead wouldn't run on my desktop.

Thanks for those suggestions also. I'll give them a try and hopefully (fingers crossed) I'll be able to get Operation Arrowhead onto my PC. That Online Activation thing is saviour for me also. Thanks Deadfast and Placebo. :)

Didn't want to make a new thread as it is similiar problem LandShark has. I've bought Operation Arrowhead wouldn't read, wierd clicking noise coming from the drive. I've had it replaced but exactly the same problem. I've check my Drive and it is up to date and what deadfast says about dual layer technology not sure if that effects me as Arma 2 runs perfectly fine. Any ideas?

Well if you've already changed the DVD for a new one from the store then it must be incompatible with your DVD drive, only thing I can suggest is if you access the DVD from another computer/DVD drive and copy the files over to your HDD then install that way.

I had the exact same problem, I did report this here a few weeks back. I returned the game to Play UK who are refunding me.

Just ordered it from a Amazon today. Fingers crossed no problems this time. Why would it be incompatiple with a DVD drive? BIS produces a disc that is incompatible some with DVD drives??? Isn't that akin to shooting yourself in the foot BIS

Can't be microcode in the DVD player as everything else runs on it. Including ARMA2.

Edited by Honeycutt

BIS produces a disc that is incompatible some with DVD drives???

We don't manufacture the DVDs the publisher does.