Sign in to follow this  
1ID-MSG. WarriorX

MK 17 EGLM question

The MK 17 EGLM has a red dot mounted on the forward left side of the weapon.

Does anyone know if the red dot is functional?

Is it to be used to aim the grenade launcher?

Thats for grenade launcher / EGLM is GL you know lol/

Instead of typical GL iron sight , it got modern red dot sight

Does anyone know if the red dot is functional? Ingame probably not like in real life one ,but with some practice you can nicely aim with it

Happen to know what distance the reddot on the EGLM is zeroed for?

Looks like it's ~150m.

Well, after a bit of luck and a lot of testing, I can say that the red dot sight for the EGLM does work very well. (In ACE 2 for O.A.) Here is how you employ it:

Use rangefinder to get range to target,(this is most precise, or you can guess)

Switch to grenade launcher,

Hit SHIFT-NUMPAD 0,(this will put your eye in line with the red dot),

Set the range of your target by using the UP/DOWN ARROWS, (50m increments, shows in the top left of the screen)

Put the red dot on the target and fire.

**remember differences in elevation between you and your target will affect your range adjustment up or down.

Edited by 1ID-MSG. WarriorX
ACE 2 clarification

Looks like it's ~150m.

Correct and its spot on at other distances after that, with a little bit of raising the dot but spot on and great tool other than the old Leaf sights

Seems like all other grenade launcher sights in the game, it's zeroed at 150m, and not very useful if your target is significantly closer or further than that range.

Correct me if im wrong, but the m203 has an effective range of aproximately 300 meters?

If the above is true then, its zero'dness is perfect, its half way between what is effective and what is not.

You can put grenades out to 400.

I wouldn't do it unless you're just trying to suppress or it's a static target (or you're using the M32).

Easiest way to learn how to do this is just to put down some targets in the editor in 100m increments, put an ammo crate down, and put a player down.

Then practice till you're blue in the face.

All grenade launchers aim with sights at aprox 200m. Unfortunately Arma engine is not yet able to animate zeroing on grenade launcher sights so you have to use experience and normal "ladder" cursor for aiming.

All grenade launchers aim with sights at aprox 200m. Unfortunately Arma engine is not yet able to animate zeroing on grenade launcher sights so you have to use experience and normal "ladder" cursor for aiming.

:( :( :(

The red dot sight is just a red dot version of the venerable "quadrant sight" that is the precision alternative to the combat-expedient ladder sight. Most accounts I have heard have stated that the ladder sight is a complete pain and very prone to damage. I wish the quadrant (either iron or red dot) was the primary sight for the 203 since BIS doesn't feel like having the ladder hiddenSelection out of the way when the 203 isn't the active muzzle.

The "not yet" sounds very good. :)

^this. Who knows what we may see in a month or two..

well i use my m203 rocket launcher in close range battles so 150 m isn't really handy

well i use my m203 rocket launcher in close range battles so 150 m isn't really handy

Use RPG instead and then you are badass :p

I have to admite the quadrant sight isn't THE best alternative compaired to the ladder sight, but way back and with the limited info we had on the SCAR (and still) it looked like the best alternative (since the top rail was already packed etc).

Sadly the info about the EOtech M40GL came to late as it might been a better and more usefull alternative. Still somewhat limited compaired to the real 'toy' but at least it would better for non-zeroed ranges. Maybe one day in ACE, or someone else picks up the idea...(same goes for the an/peq15 versus the newer an/peq16 or even the STORM unit. Would have been perfect for OA...but that is downside of how things go in ongoing projects).

Sadly i don't have the time anymore to do community work, but who knows something drips over...or i win the lottery and have a half life to commite again on the game :d .

Edited by DaSquade

Still better than having no sight at all.

True, true. ;)