Sign in to follow this  
Hawk Firestorm

Devs time for a 64BIT version???

disable superfetch it is an evil program. I remember the first time using Vista x64 I was like what is using my hard drive the lights were blinking like crazy, it was superfetch. I have not tried page file off in Arma2 since last year I am buying 4Gb more ram I will try it again.

Common devs how about porting out a 64 bit version of the game and server?

Many many of us have 64 bit os.

Personally I'm getting tired of the out of memory crashes.

I for one would like to see BI putting out 64bit versions of your software with every release.

32 bit should have died out years ago.

How about a whole new engine instead of using the old one over and over, of course it's still capable and gives you lot's of freedom but also lots of limitations and imo it's already outdated 100 times.

How about a whole new engine instead of using the old one over and over, of course it's still capable and gives you lot's of freedom but also lots of limitations and imo it's already outdated 100 times.

how about wait another several years :D

How about a whole new engine instead of using the old one over and over, of course it's still capable and gives you lot's of freedom but also lots of limitations and imo it's already outdated 100 tim

Sounds ya not pleasured and satisfied with Arma2.

What 100 times are so outdated, that would justify an effort of a new engine.

Besides a new engine means a new game.

The game is selling the game is running.

And more than EA (e.g.) patches are released regulary....and the game is still supported, even 1 year after release ;)

how about wait another several years :D

Sir I have reports of incoming Arma games and Farma games!

hype-o-meter just went through the roof Dwarden. :yay:

how can my favorite military simulation game and favorite PC game get any better. :eek:

well, i've got a question related to the LAA-flag:

Using vmmap, OA shows a total of ~2GB (column size, "Total" + "Free") - almost the same as every other 32bit app.

Shouldn't that be around 4GB as of the LAA-flag? Any true 64bit app states ~8TB, as it should be.

OA-Version is the official 1.52.71816. OS is Win7 x64 with 4GB RAM.

regards

Spencer

Using vmmap, OA shows a total of ~2GB (column size, "Total" + "Free") - almost the same as every other 32bit app.

Shouldn't that be around 4GB as of the LAA-flag? Any true 64bit app states ~8TB, as it should be.

OA-Version is the official 1.52.71816. OS is Win7 x64 with 4GB RAM.

regards

Spencer

The large address tweaks and multi-core optimisations Arma 2 got in 1.07 aren't in vanilla 1.52.71816, try the latest beta patch

Moreover, be aware wmmap is not able to report anything about the file cache we use, as it reports only what virtual addresses are taken by what memory, but the file cache is using a physical memory, but not using any virtual addresses for it at all.

Even if you have a card with 1, 2 or more GB of VRAM, there is no reason why this VRAM would need to be mapped into the application virtual space, as the application is not accessing the texture content at all. The kernel space is basically "unlimited" when running on 64b OS, therefore it does not matter what the driver allocate there. In practice, with video card like this, the card drivers should eat about 500 MB-1 GB of virtual space. The 3 GB or more should be left for the game, which should be more then enough.

I have a Vista 64b system with 2 GB VRAM + 8 GB RAM for testing this, I was running many heavy missions as stress tests and I have never witnessed on out of memory error since LAA was introduced.

If you have some mission which shows regular our of memory errors for you on 64b systems, I would be very interested in testing it on my system, to see if there is perhaps something more which can be fixed in this area.

Sadly I wish this was the case on my system out of memory errors are common place hence the thread.

I've been in IT all my life till I got MS, I'm aware of how 32 bit handles Vram and adressing on 32 bit systems however I wasn't sure if it was the same under 32 bit emulation on a 64 bit system.

Edited by Hawk Firestorm

Moreover, be aware wmmap is not able to report anything about the file cache we use, as it reports only what virtual addresses are taken by what memory, but the file cache is using a physical memory, but not using any virtual addresses for it at all.

Suma, I take it you are running a Quadro card. If so what level of drivers are you running?

Are all the devs running Quadro's?

I doubt any dev is running on Quadro tbh. The stress test PCs should be as close as possible to a game-rig.

This is quite the juicy thread. Thanks to Suma and DWarden for being so forthcoming with all these juicy tidbits!

Some reference reading for your information... http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2004/08/22/218527.aspx.

Not directly related, but, may give the reader some insight into where these sorts of issues originate from. Many of these sorts of discussions regarding Virtual Address Space, Virtual Memory, PageFiles, memory usage the why's, wherefores and why not's, 'inventive' use of CreateFileMapping & MapViewOfFile have been disccussed by people for numerous years. There's a plethora of websites and information out there regarding honing application architecture to interact with the resources available on a machine.

I'm sure when there's a 'need' to migrate to a 64bit architecture for Real Virtuality gaming engine that BIS will embark on that track as will many other gaming companies. Companies like Valve have already gone down that track but I don't think they'll really reap the reward of their 64bit arhitecture for a few more years yet.

Edited by Synide

There is very little (if any) benefit in going 64b for ArmA 2.

If the games does not use more than 2 GB with LAA, it means it would not use more even with 64b and the whole effort would be basically wasted. Switching to 64b is not some magic which would in itself change application behaviour in any way, it is just removing the 4 GB barrier. As the game is not hitting the barrier even remotely yet, removing the barrier has currently no sense, especially when you consider it would requite quite a lot of efforts.

If the game is not using more than 1.5 GB for you, it probably means it does not need to use any more (there are no more useful data to store in the memory).

yeah, i've been trying to tell people that it doesn't really make a difference...

yeah, i've been trying to tell people that it doesn't really make a difference...

And it took you 10 month to think about your reply :confused:

I expect he was prompted by the writhing mosh-pit of first-time posters making other pointless demands in the ArmA 3 forum (OMGZORZ!!!! ARMA3 MUST HAVE <Insert Demand>!!!). I want to punch every second poster.

Well... in my opinion, due to ArMa is only for PC, instead of Xbox or PS3, why dont use more modern API's like Dx11(native, not patched) with future releases of Arma. I understand that a lot of companies are waiting for next gen consoles like ps4 or xbox720 before switching from dx9 to dx11. But Arma hasnt got that problem, and most of people have a dx11 capable card

most of people have a dx11 capable card

Er... no?

I would say from what I have seen most people have a DX10 card, and I don't see the benefit of using DX11 if you don't actually make use of DX11 features, which ARMA doesn't.

Fact is most people still don't run a Dx10 capable OS! Which makes arma3's dx10 requirement so interesting.

Of course in one years time the vast majority will be running W7 or the equivalent.

-k