Sign in to follow this  
5133p39

Trigger "Detected by East" - won't reset if East units are killed

I need a way to know if BLUFOR is being detected by any OPFOR unit or not,

so i made a Trigger which works only half way:

I place one BLUFOR and one OPFOR unit on the map.

I create the "detected by" trigger covering the area where both units are placed, with hint "DETECTED" in the "On Activation" field, and hint "NOT DETECTED" in the "On Deactivation" field.

When BLUFOR are detected, the message "DETECTED" is displayed, but then if i kill the OPFOR unit, the trigger won't reset itself - "NOT DETECTED" won't be displayed.

I tried to set the trigger type to both "Switch" and "None" - no difference.

So, how is it done?

---------- Post added at 02:34 ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 ----------

...i also forgot to mention i set the trigger to be activated "Repeatedly".

Did you wait long enough ? Cause it takes some times before the AI is aware on "no more detected" units. Depends on the knowsabout value.

Thanks for the reply, but... whose Knowsabout value?

There is no other unit alive than the player, i killed that one unit who detected me.

...anyway, if this is how the trigger works, then its useles for what was my intent.

Like ProfTournesol said, you should wait ~100 secs. for the trigger to deactivate. It makes no difference if you kill the unit who spotted you, it's the trigger behaviour. Plus, the same contact will not activate the trigger again, i.e. if you don't kill the unit, and you wait for the trigger to deactivate, if the same unit sees you again that will not activate the trigger. Yes, I know, sometimes it's better not to look under the hood ;).

Edited by seba1976
Typos.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

I wanted to use the detection to play specific music type depending on whether player is in danger or not - so its not gonna happen :)

You could use a "killed" trigger on the opfor units and then calculate the distance between the player and the nearest enemy. You could also use that event to delete and recreate the problematic trigger if there's really a bug there.

Also if you are doing this in code try using "EmptyDetector" as the trigger type, and also make sure that there is still at least one opfor unit out there on the map somewhere just in case (sometimes that matters).

Edited by Polar Bear

You could always use Opfor, or Bluefor present, and then setup a hint that

says opfor, or blufor detected, and then set it for repeatedly that way every time

they enter the area trigger then the appropriate one will go off.

thats not what i wanted, but thanks for trying