Sign in to follow this  
Pundaria

Knife proposal

i'm going to say two words.

ballistic knife

that is all.

Wikipedia doesnt make it sound very deadly. In my mind i have a guy with a knife sticking out of his chest yelling 'Fuck, why did you do that? That hurts!', being more offended than wounded.

Wikipedia doesnt make it sound very deadly. In my mind i have a guy with a knife sticking out of his chest yelling 'Fuck, why did you do that? That hurts!', being more offended than wounded.
Thats me back in 1987 on schoolyard when a "friend" overestimated my reation time. Was a painfull lesson, but I learned that you don't neccesarily die when a Knife sticks out of you...and you can even beat back hard one time before your knees get very soft. Well, he got soft knees too and also did the screaming for me ;)

O.K. it struck me only 20mm deep, my arm bone was in the way.

thats the next point...Humans are not soft and easy to pierce everywhere.

It was a throwing Knifes...it was in the lousy 80's days of lousy Ninja movies ;)

But I got a bit experience with Blades in me, on another occasion someone cut my right Thumb tendon.

It's a wonder that I made it over the 90's alive considering what bullshit we made back then with guns, knifes and explosives.

Edited by Ulanthorn

who cares about the damage? i just think it would be complete lolerskates to run around with a knife, that fwarking shoots.

who cares about the damage? i just think it would be complete lolerskates to run around with a knife, that fwarking shoots.

Well, then just make them exploding shooting knives, at least that way it gets a +3 to awesome.

Edited by NeMeSiS
I cant spell

Well, then just making them exploding shooting knives, at least that way it gets a +3 to awesome.

how did you know? you see. since the release trailer of the new super awesome pmc dlc and the awesome aa12 with super high explosive shells, i've wanted to have a ballistic knife, that when the knife hits something. it makes a gbu-12 explosion. and we're gonna call it, the pmc ballistic knife, and put a 10$ price tag on it.

how did you know? you see. since the release trailer of the new super awesome pmc dlc and the awesome aa12 with super high explosive shells, i've wanted to have a ballistic knife, that when the knife hits something. it makes a gbu-12 explosion. and we're gonna call it, the pmc ballistic knife, and put a 10$ price tag on it.

I would buy that 3 times.

Ask yourself this: Is the knife wasn't part of Splinter Cell/COD would you still think it was "missing" in Arma 2?

Also, if you're constantly getting into a situation where you've run out of ammo and are still in direct combat, perhaps you need to plan better instead of falling back on a knife? ;)

First of all, answering a sentence you dont understand is a waste of time.

And no, I never run out of ammo.

Perhaps if you had read what's topic about, you would know what to write. :)

@All

Good to see you're having fun. Nothing is better than offtopic, isnt it?

To think that I ONLY mentioned ka-bar, and you guys eagerly begun to spam that topic to prove how good you are...

"Look at meh! Meh knows bettar knives than ka-bar!"

"Oh no u not! Becuz my sensei techer master w1nr@r knows bettah!"

"No! I can kill with my bare hands! I can kill lawl lawl!"

Oh come on people, give me a break.

@Evil_Echo...

Congratulations... My internet superhero...

Edited by Vultar

What's wrong with being low on ammo? It's a perfectly plausible scenario.

If you or your comrades are low on ammo, some one f**ked up. You should never be low on ammo or have to fight hand to hand. Not saying that it doesn't happen, but it should never happen.

...to go home to FOB and rearm. Running around screaming and trying to stab is no option....this kind of thinking lead to horendous casualties in WW1 when some british generals still considered bajonet assaults to be usefull tactic.

out of ammo out of action...simple. Retreat is really a usefull option... suicide is a bit off if you're not a Zero Pilot in 1945.

The First Rule of Modern Warfare: Never Bring a Knife to a Gunfight *Col Richard Szafranski, USAF, Retired*

Edited by Ulanthorn

I agree, but as you say, it happens, and is a plausible scenario.

So what happens when you're low on ammo? You might be granted air support. You might be forced to fix bayonets and charge your way out of a tight space. Both have happened over the last few years.

Both plausible scenarios. I don't see why they shouldn't both have a place in ArmA2.

this kind of thinking lead to horendous casualties in WW1 when some british generals still considered bajonet assaults to be usefull tactic.

In fact, it was very useful to clear trenches. And it wasn't used only by British soldiers, but every oponents.

In fact, it was very useful to clear trenches. And it wasn't used only by British soldiers, but every oponents.
They assaulted mashine gun nest with no effect...yes..very usefull. It was quite right after that event that tanks where invented.

Is that the fault of the bayonet or the tactic?

The bayonet, since it didnt allow them reach far enough to stab the enemy from the safety of their own trench, like you can do with bullets if you replace stabbing with shooting. :p

So the tactic was wrong? I.e. they used the wrong weapon for the job.

The bayonet, since it didnt allow them reach far enough to stab the enemy from the safety of their own trench, like you can do with bullets if you replace stabbing with shooting. :p

Well, it's obviously the tactic as you can shoot AND stab with the same weapon ;)

I agree, but as you say, it happens, and is a plausible scenario.

So what happens when you're low on ammo? You might be granted air support. You might be forced to fix bayonets and charge your way out of a tight space. Both have happened over the last few years.

Both plausible scenarios. I don't see why they shouldn't both have a place in ArmA2.

modern warfare is political nowadasy...losse shave to be kept low...so there is no more use of risky manouvers...if you are dry you stay where you anre or retreat until you have support.

no bajonet charges or Knife fights...the africans have the bigger knifes anyway.

modern warfare is political nowadasy...losse shave to be kept low...so there is no more use of risky manouvers...if you are dry you stay where you anre or retreat until you have support.

no bajonet charges or Knife fights...the africans have the bigger knifes anyway.

Yes but this is ArmA2. This lets us play out scenarios where politics has left the building and full scale war is in effect. If bayonets were used in numerous occasions in the latest conflicts, how often might they be used in a conventional theatre of war, where ammo can run scarce and air superiority is contested?

(Not to say ammo doesn't run scarce in today's conflicts. Otherwise we wouldn't have seen bayonet charges...)

Edited by Daniel

Yes but this is ArmA2. This lets us play out scenarios where politics has left the building and full scale war is in effect.

True. And once again :rolleyes:, modding possibilities enabled by RV engine must be as wide as possible.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2007/0709.douglas.html

Why won't this forum let me link??

The book is "House to house, an epic memoir of war"

Anyway, my point is this, if what you say was true, then the men that were awarded those medals are liars, and the marines i was working with are amateurs.

As far as running out of ammo, shit does go wrong, all the time. Why not have a back up?