Sign in to follow this  
Pundaria

Knife proposal

How do you know he isn't faking it?

How do you know he isn't cradling a hand grenade?

How do you know his friend isn't right around the corner?

What if one bayonet strike isn't enough?

etc

Nah. Viking scream and put a burst in the bastard.

Yup, makes you wonder why they ever invented bayonets in the first place, what with the bayonet's low lethality and limitless ammo and all. :p

Knife just saved my ass. I vote yes, again.

Knife just shaved my ass. Those things are dangerous. I vote no, again :p Too many other things to do long before knifes should be considered... Again, like fixing the damned AI getting stuck every time they get a sidearm, or UH-1H gunner sights...

No no and thrice no. if you are too shit to shoot someone what makes you think you are going to be able to knife them!

Stop all knife petitions now and grow some danglies!

Let's see you shoot your wussy little guns after we cut you to one pound pieces, tough guy.

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/55375

Washcall: Army ends bayonet training ...

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Army says the last time it mounted a bayonet assault in combat was nearly 60 years ago during the Korean War.

Even so, ever since, hundreds of thousands of new soldiers in basic training have had to master wielding one on a rubber-tire course -- even as their rifles evolved to be incompatible with bayonets and the skill ceased to matter.

Now, after listening to troops share their battle insights after nearly a decade of war in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Army has ordered the end to bayonet training, effective this month.

That's not the only training and battle-drill change the Army has made based on insights from the current wars and projections about future ones.

There's going to be Brits, remember? And whatever the US or Russia do in real life really matters fuck-all in the Armaverse anyway.

I want throwing Knifes and tactical insertions!

I've had enough tactical insertions. Last time her husband came home early and nearly caught me.

I've had enough tactical insertions. Last time her husband came home early and nearly caught me.

Sig worthy.... ;)

yeah I figured someone would come along and admit to there wrong doings. :p

I want throwing Knifes and tactical insertions!

Throwing knifes? Seriously? What's the point of knifes if it causes your enemy to scream at the top of his lungs in agony? Could just as well shoot him with an unsilenced pistol in that case.

That's actually the best argument against knives I've seen :)

I think this does need to be looked at though now the Brits are coming. Maybe someone should make a Ghurka mod :D

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Throwing knifes? Seriously? What's the point of knifes if it causes your enemy to scream at the top of his lungs in agony?

Aim at the throat. The most he'll manage if you do it right is a wet gurgle.

I think the Takistani Army needs something to use on their prisoners.

Aim at the throat. The most he'll manage if you do it right is a wet gurgle.

Which demands you actually hit a minimal (and probably moving) target with a weapon demanding massive amounts of more practice than a gun for the same accuracy, and that you actually attack from the front which means he'll shout a warning even before you finish your throw, so people nearby are alerted anyway.

Throwing knifes are a Hollywood-weapon. They aren't designed to kill a target to start with. They give you the opportunity to WOUND your target before you close the distance, so that you have the advantage when engaging in melee combat. Even ninjas don't use throwing weapons to kill. They use shurikens as melee weapons that CAN be thrown if needed, and same with the throwing knifes.

They give you the opportunity to WOUND your target before you close the distance, so that you have the advantage when engaging in melee combat.

You also give them a knife. :p

You also give them a knife. :p

Indeed! Which is why one carries a sword for melee combat, so that one has the advantage in reach. :P

We need scots with claymores people! Not fecking K-BARs! :yay:

Which demands you actually hit a minimal (and probably moving) target with a weapon demanding massive amounts of more practice than a gun for the same accuracy, and that you actually attack from the front which means he'll shout a warning even before you finish your throw, so people nearby are alerted anyway.

I didn't say it was easy :)

Actually shuriken refers to a whole selection of weapons and were generally thrown to create a distraction (getting hit by a flying pointy bit of metal is quite distracting) or create an advantage when attacking with another weapon. Some of this class of weapon were also used in melee, "Shuri - Ken" meaning "Hidden Sword" could be easily concealed in the hand or up a sleeve etc. If a kill was required from a thrown weapon then chances are it would have been dipped in some lethal poison first.

It's generally accepted in most schools of Ninjutsu that if you are required to use your melee skills to complete a task then chances are you've done something very wrong (which reinforces the against knives argument here) but then those same schools don't preclude the use of a knife to stab someone in the back.

I don't think anyone wants to add knives in the way that MW2 or BC2 implement them, I would like to see them as an option for specops simulation and as part of a tool system. Or bayonets...

Claymores are good too :D

This is an idea for a knife.:rolleyes:

1. It occupy a slot in gear (those slot containing radios, watch, etc.)

2. When using the knife, R buttom becomes a lethal stab when enemy is unaware

3. By holding shift, it enters combat mode. The characters only walk.This prevent abuse.

4. Upon combat mode, hold LMB and drag is to wield your knife

5. Hold RMB is for defence

6. Since this is a game, 3 hits kill a person(We use Medic as other games, I dont see why we cannot tolerate a little bit gaming style in knife);)

I always hate seeing a knife hanging on my bag but couldn't use it. And people always make up knife thread but without constructive advice for BI. So I am making this to urge a "knifed" ARMA 2 or 3.:p

Play COD much?

I've worked along side SF supporting them in operations in Afghan/Iraq and none of them carried a knife, there is no need for a knife within today's conflicts, maybe a bayonet for those very rare occasions when you are entering a confined area, but to be honest, with this AI you'll never get close enough, as well as 3rd person if going against Player V Player wouldn't give you a better chance to stab.

Then there's the AI Warping, and it would cause people who want the knifes to Rage over the warping, works for player V player as well.

Huh? I would expect them to carry a knife or at least some kind of multi tool. Not as a weapon, but as a tool.