Sign in to follow this  
Pundaria

Knife proposal

This is an idea for a knife.:rolleyes:

1. It occupy a slot in gear (those slot containing radios, watch, etc.)

2. When using the knife, R buttom becomes a lethal stab when enemy is unaware

3. By holding shift, it enters combat mode. The characters only walk.This prevent abuse.

4. Upon combat mode, hold LMB and drag is to wield your knife

5. Hold RMB is for defence

6. Since this is a game, 3 hits kill a person(We use Medic as other games, I dont see why we cannot tolerate a little bit gaming style in knife);)

I always hate seeing a knife hanging on my bag but couldn't use it. And people always make up knife thread but without constructive advice for BI. So I am making this to urge a "knifed" ARMA 2 or 3.:p

I don't really think running around knifing people is a realistic strategy in most wartime scenarios. Maybe for some super-covert operation, but this game is more about teamwork for the most part.

Don't really see the need for a knife. A silenced pistol should do just as well.

Is it really needed?

Edited by Nicholas

Well, I find that opfor always lacks silenced weapon. And a knife in real world is not for USA. But for those Opfor. Don't center you focus only on USA. Opfor has convert operation too..... Everytime I try to sneak as Opfor, I am just like a nut shouting Allah is the greatest and firing my AK 74........

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

meanwhile, a knife is always a convert operation tool. I don't mean running around wif it. But it can assist with its vital function

You mean covert. In your original post, you only described how it could be used to kill. It would really serve no other purpose in the game. I know that knives are not only available to the US. Anybody can get a knife, I have plenty of them myself. But ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead gameplay is not about knifing people. Use silenced weapons instead.

If you want to run around knifing people, perhaps try Call of Duty or Battlefield.

Edited by Nicholas

use search in the suggestion forums to dredge up many of our other threads about the use of knives in real life, and in game

where did people get the idea that 7 inches of sharp steel is some how more instantly lethal than a 6g lead/copper/steel core bullet going at 800m/s? honestly with out a very dedicated grappling engine, knife combat would just be a silly and unrealistic as any other game. realistically, 2 joes could swipe at each other all day and still not get a lethal stab. then add body armor in and suddenly the chances of a lethal or even incapacitating stab drop immensely.

implementing a realistic and satisfactory melee engine or capability would be nice , but it would be a real challenge....

its just way too much effort for too little pay off

Well, honestly in military knife is still widely used. It save people lives.

And think about that. It is not about its killing power. It is about the stealthy nature.

And gun runs out of ammo. Knives don't.

And knife in ARMA may offer concession.

How about only killing enemy when they are not aware of your approach. (Sliting throat or a stab in the enemy backbone) which knife can be modded as an action performed on enemy soldiers

In reality, not all troops can afford silencers

And I think this can then save a lot of works and easily implemented

Edited by Pundaria

It's issued to men in the military, yes. Very widely used indeed, but not very widely used for killing. Rather pointless in a game like ArmA, ArmA II, or Operation Arrowhead. The game is mostly about firearm combat, not melee combat. Knifing is really only going to happen in covert operations. Not all troops are issued silencers, no, but not all troops go around knifing people, even when they run out of ammo.

It's issued to men in the military, yes. Very widely used indeed, but not very widely used for killing. Rather pointless in a game like ArmA, ArmA II, or Operation Arrowhead. The game is mostly about firearm combat, not melee combat. Knifing is really only going to happen in covert operations. Not all troops are issued silencers, no, but not all troops go around knifing people, even when they run out of ammo.

think about the backward countries' troops. They use knives to kill in convert.

Even not a knives, a breaking neck action can be implemented too

Oh dear...

You sir, should not be playing ArmA then.

Honestly, I am only in love with the modding possibility and its real combat experience brought by ARMA2. A CQC would bring up the realistic experience and so it is always wanted by me.:p

Edited by Pundaria

I agree with this 100%. Nowadays, knives are used almost exclusively as a survival tool and not as a weapon. I think that many people that request the knives in this game underestimate how ridiculously difficult it is (both physically and mentally) to use the knife as weapon IRL.

In case of OPFOR (mainly Takis) - why not use the PB/6P9 (incorrectly labeled as a Makarov SD) instead? Realistically, do you expect to be able to sneak 1 meter next to your opponent in order to use a knife in ARMA?

I personally think that the BIS (limited) resources could be used on much more worthy projects than this.

Now in case of a WWII mod, it could be a whole different story...

Peace,

DreDay

Isn't AI and sidearms buggy enough?

Right?

I don't really see the point of knives in a game like this (unless you are using the wire-cutter featured on US bayonets to sneak thru enemy concertina wire). I honestly cant remember EVER getting close enough to an enemy without them noticing to put a knife into their backbone.

there is no such thing a silent kill. be it a knife or a suppressed weapon.

there is also no such thing as sneaking up to an enemy and shanking them in a fight.

if you are able to get with in knifing distance, that means there is already enough background noise or distractions that silence is not necessary and you should have just shot they guy. seriously, would you want to get that close to someone with a LOADED gun and try to stab them to death? seriously?

2. When using the knife, R buttom becomes a lethal stab when enemy is unaware

Go for gold - without a hack & slash function it's too girlie-like.

Real man hack& slash, which would also make the application of upcoming combat shovels DLC look more reasonable:

jIlceAZBRdA

combat_shovel.gif

:D jk

I think if there was a knife, any kind of stabbing motions would be bad, that's too much like call of duty or something.

I think the same as a car, as you sneak up behind someone an action menu should come up, and you can press stealth kill or something. And an animation will play and you can stab him or whatever.

Anything involving the player running round knifing is baaad.

Also, knives are very horrific weapons to use in war, only the most special forces would generally consider using it, and even then I think a silenced pistol will almost always be the best way to go, or any kind of hand to hand combat.

In very stealthy CQB, there are much easier ways to incapacitate a threat instead of knifing and killing him.

The only 2 realistic scenarios in which i see a soldier using a knife are:

-if he during a melee fight has lost his gun. And this is not realistic since "melee fights" don't happen anymore.

-if a Special Forces squad deep in enemy territory has (or will soon) ran out of ammo and so is forced to use knives.

Both are scenarios that happen one time in a billion, we don't need them. Moreover, with the sheer idiocy (and eagle sight) of arma's AI and clumsiness of the CQBs, even if we had them we wouldn't usem them.

Damn nay-sayers always hating the knife... Just because it's there doesn't mean you'd have to use it all the time, or that it would have to be over-powered like in Call of Duty.

As for how unrealistic it is, who gives a crap: it's an engine capable of more than just things that strictly follow the US military doctrine. Such as Serial Killer/rambo/roleplay/DM missions, ninja/jedi/predator/ww1/ww2 addons etc.

From what you say, a military simulator is not what you want.

And, just as note, i too find this game sometimes a bit too realistic, but it's the way it's supposed to be. When i want something more arcade i play something else.

If you really want the knife make a mod. BIS will not add it.

In real life, you can use a knife. Therefore, not being able to use knife in Arma makes the game less realistic, not more.

"Sir, I don't understand. What goods' a knife in a nuke fight? All you have to do is press a button, sir."

*knife throw, blood splatter*

"The enemy can not press a button... if you have disabled his hand."

/thread

No, seriously: this would be good for the modding possibilities, e.g. Napolean Era war, medieval or earlier mods, or why not post apocalyptic mods Fallout style? Or for civilian action - axe murderers, police batons...fencers? Basically, anyone saying this is not something that "suits the game" is stuck in mod-less console world (sorry, had to flamebait a little!) - if OFP hadn't come with civvy stuff from the beginning, I bet this argument would be had right now about whether or not there should be a tractor in game.

That said, the REAL question here is whether or not you want BIS to dedicate time and resources to implementing this in their modern time real-world combat simulator. In that case, all the arguments for "not really common" apply fine, as well as the "instead they could implent A, B or C realistic modern combat tech".

Ultimately, I still think a BIS-approved melee ability would enliven and extend the mod-life and thus shelf-life of their product a LOT more than another AWACS system or whatever.

Regards,

Wolfrug

In real life they use a knife one time in a billion, there are much more pressing concerns to be addressed right now. As if that was not enough, a knife would not fit in the clumsy CQBs of Arma 2.