Sign in to follow this  
NutzMcKracken

Cluster Bomb pack Beta Release 1.0

Cluster Bomb pack Beta Release 1.0: CBU-87 / MK20 Rockeye / CBU-89 "Gator"

Hi all, thought I'd finally release the CBU's as a Beta release to the public.

nxQ-ftaCaW0

YouTube Demo

A-10 with CBU-87's

a10cbu87.png

A-10 with MK20 Rockeye's

a10mk20.png

A-10 with CBU-87's and MK20 Rockeye's

a10cbumix.png

Still in development: Area Denial A-10 with CBU-87's and CBU-89's

A few things going on here, so I'll explain:

First off

This is a port and also a non-port of cluster bomb's in general. There''s been some nifty scripts out there simulating Cluster Bombs, but I personally just didn't think they fit for the effects. I've seen A-10's drop these and various other aircraft in Kosovo and the Serbian wars and they are quite a sight of devastation.

I still have some tweaks I'd like to do but I finally had to let go, lol.

Second part

The ported part is an improvement on the AT Rockeye release from back in ArmA 1. I got full permission from the guys at Arma Tactics before hand back in ArmA 1 and refreshed those rights when ArmA 2 came out. Thanks once again for letting me play around with them. I was further inspired to make my own model, but utilize the improved script and configs. I also wanted to make them as accurate as possible to the real thing yet also balance the bombs for gameplay. So I started modeling the SUU-64/65 carriers for the CBU-87/97 etc. So label it a port or not, semantics, really as these are to have fun with regardless.

The CBU-87 and 89 is what I've come up with so far, yet the CBU-89 is still in concept as its a mine laying cluster bomb instead of active warheads like the BLU-97 bomblets or MK118. I'm still working on this and may need some help as far as setting timers of how long the mines will be active then self destruct for gameplay reasons. Also seems at the moment the mines are hit or miss on being active. Hence BETA version, but the CBU-87 the main cluster bomb along with the MK20 Rockeye are ready and rockin'.

Also in development is the CBU-97 SFW. Details on this will come soon.

Last but not least

I've incorporated Fortran's camo and miscellaneous textures for the A-10. I think its nice addon to have and have incorporated textures modeled more for the Takistani terrain. This also was done with his permission, and thanks again Fortran!

++

In addition but not released yet with this, Mando has done it again....he has a heads up interface to work with the CBU-87 and various weapons on the aircraft. Its mission configurable and when he's given the ok to release it I'll tag it along with this release or even final release.

Thanks to:

Mondkalb and the AT team that put the Rockeye's together back in ArmA 1; Myke and his help on current IAWS; Mando for the interface work;Fortran for the Textures...good job; and any others I've missed so far!

NOTE:

• Very important, drop the bombs above 100 (ft?)altitude in order for bombs to disperse munitions. If not the bomb will turn to a dud and just fall. (Newly added due to questions about this, sorry failed to mention it. Also, unsure of units, use aircraft altimeter/hud for reference)
  • At the moment there's no server key at the moment till non-beta release.
  • This also may need at least ArmA 2 to work properly as it hasn't been tested with just OpA as the standalone.
  • Needs Extend_Eventhandlers (XEH) to work. So far I've tested it with the latest release in CBA and would suggest to use that, but also works with archived versions as well.
    -Sorry i forgot to mention this as well and you probably noticed this if you didn't have XEH running.
  • The white stamp on the bomb is a tribute to the SPARTA community for setting up a test server and for all those that tested....too many names to thank in this regard so I'll leave it at that!
  • Works with ACE but a dedicated release will come out that utilizes Flare and gun effects system. This will come out after non-beta release.

Download

news_donwload_oa_4.png

Cluster Bomb pack Beta

required_addons.png

ArmA2 + XEH (suggested use with CBA)

(filefront)

http://www.filefront.com/17012957/A2-OA_ClusterBombUnits-RC1.rar

Installation:

Extract file using an application like WinRAR.

Place sa_CBU.pbo into the addons folder of a particular Mod folder you have either created or that has been already created.

Activate addon folder with either a "launcher" or manipulating shortcut parameters.

Classnames:
Ammo:
MK20
MK20F35
CBU87
CBU87F35
CBU89
CBU89F35

Magazine:
MK20_2
MK20_F35
MK20_4
MK20_6
MK20_12
CBU87_2
CBU87_F35
CBU87_4
CBU87_6
CBU87_10
CBU87_12
CBU89_4

Weapons:
MK20_2Pod
MK20_F35Pod
MK20_4Pod
MK20_6Pod
MK20_12Pod
CBU87_2Pod
CBU87_F35Pod
CBU87_4Pod
CBU87_6Pod
CBU87_10Pod
CBU87_12Pod
CBU89_4Pod

Vehicles:
A10_MK20 //4x MK20 replace GBU's only on standard A10
A10_CBU87 //4x CBU-87 replace GBU's only on standard A10
A10_CBU //2x CBU replace Maverick ; 4x MK20 replace GBU's on standard A10
A10_CBU89 //4x CBU-87 + 4xCBU-89, FFAR + GAU-8
AV8B_MK20 //2x MK20 replaces sidewinders on AV8B2
AV8B_CBU87 //2x MK20 replaces sidewinders on AV8B2
F35_MK20 // 4x MK20 replaces GBU's
F35_CBU87 // 3X CBU-87 replaces GBU's

Edited by NutzMcKracken
Reformat layout, added Armaholic dl link & Forgot to state XEH dependency.

Great stuff! Will be testing later...

/KC

Yep, all the setups for these weapons are actually supported by MMA. But sadly there is a bug with OA and some event handler that prevents me to release next beta until it get fixed with a patch.

Yep, all the setups for these weapons are actually supported by MMA. But sadly there is a bug with OA and some event handler that prevents me to release next beta until it get fixed with a patch.

Thanks for the heads up!

I came across this last night and wondered.

Sorry I've not chatted with you guys lately been busy with life and getting these out!

Also I'm taking your suggestion about the consolidation of the "pods" or launchers, only that the config I did this with is the ACE version. So you will see that in final.

@Vengeance

We need to get back in touch!!

Also appreciate the compliments, that's what keeps the motor running to make more and do more.

-smoke

Thanks, they are way better then that Alpha version I made in ArmA 1 lol I also rememeber your advice that there was "slight overkill" with the Rockeye's....really tweaked them for gameplay as well...not too strong but if used right it can be good ;)

I've been waiting for some nice cluster bombs. A couple quick questions:

Is this IAWS compatible?

Once you have finished with this pack, might I request the Russian equivalents, the RBK-250 and RBK-500 bombs?

UPDATED to reflect XEH dependency. Be sure to use Extended_Eventhandlers in order for bombs to work correctly.

Suggested use of latest CBA package, but will work on older versions of XEH.

@Nightrain...thanks

@Xeno426 Yes this is IAWS compatible. Though there is rumor that IAWS might be reworked. If this does happen I'll work with Myke to coincide with this. I am for a standardized system of how bombs and pods will work. :)

I've isolated an issue I've been getting a little bit of feedback on.

Unfortunately some deprecated models got into the release and when the Bomb goes to a "dud" from dropping it at too low of an altitude (Try to drop it above 100 (ft?) in altitude to avoid the deprecated texture issue and to make the bomb work for you. ;) The concept of the bomb becoming a dud is to allow time for the cluster munition to deploy effectively form a decent altitude and for slight realism. I'd make them spin if I knew how for even more of a realistic effect!

I'll either have this in this in another Beta RC2 fashion of release or skip and have a final release.

Also some new news may come soon involving these. There's some testing with a mod right now, and more info will come in that regard later.

So far I have tested with various aircraft and as long as they are IAWS compliant or at least close you should have no problem. However, there is some scripting involved and class referencing. I can help you with this as I've attached them to the F-111 and all I can say is "appetite for destruction".

I can help you with this as I've attached them to the F-111 and all I can say is "appetite for destruction".

There's an F-111 model? Where?

And can you release a vanilla aircraft compatible version as well?

There's an F-111 model? Where?

And can you release a vanilla aircraft compatible version as well?

F-111? Currently there's only an OFP port to ArmA 1 that was beta. Updating it...more to come on that later.

Vanilla aircraft is the current base addon and it will be left separate then the F-111 when its ready. :)

Just to be sure this is all through scripting? So there's no way to make them spawn and explode on the ground? Also good job on the bombs.

Yes this is through scripting. Yes; you can drop them from a script with out the plane but it will take a bit more scripting to initiate the fall script. The scripting events trigger off the drop action or Pilot fired event.

The scripting doesn't spawn them on impact when dropped. These actually produce the bomblets in air when the bomb becomes split, even at the original velocity of the bomb and have impact for detonation.

Appreciate the comment!

Edited by NutzMcKracken

Our group is trialling these awesome birds and weapons but have a problem. The Rockeye is causing a texture not found error. Has anyone come across this before and do they know the cause?

The texture error is xat_rockeye\mbg_rockeye.paa

Edited by tromac

Our group is trialling these awesome birds and weapons but have a problem. The Rockeye is causing a texture not found error. Has anyone come across this before and do they know the cause?

The texture error is xat_rockeye\mbg_rockeye.paa

I've stated this issue already and waiting to release as they are being tested.

Here's the work around and issue listing:

I've isolated an issue I've been getting a little bit of feedback on.

Unfortunately some deprecated models got into the release and when the Bomb goes to a "dud" from dropping it at too low of an altitude (Try to drop it above 100 (ft?) in altitude to avoid the deprecated texture issue and to make the bomb work for you.

Thanks smoke. I wasn't sure if it was the same issue as we sometimes get it as soon as you load into the mission. Looking forward to your next release.

I meant to add this point:

What happens is when the bomb is released, a script activates and looks at your altitude for safe and effective dispersion of the bomblets. It looks to see that your altitude is above 100 (ft?), if its below this altitude the bomb drops and doesn't disperse but then turns into an object that acts like a dud. The dud is where the texture problem is, it looks at an old texture location that's been fixed before the release, but the proper model didn't make it in the release.

Sorry about that. As I said before it can easily be avoided by dropping the bombs above 100 (ft?).

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Thanks smoke. I wasn't sure if it was the same issue as we sometimes get it as soon as you load into the mission. Looking forward to your next release.

Thanks, yea once you click ok to it, it doesn't come back, but as soon as you start the mission over....yes, it gets annoying.FPDR

It seems this mod does not work with arrowhead. I see the bomb fall but see no expolsion. I love how mando is configured for this. Am I right about arrowhead?

Might be the post above yours has the explanation:

"It looks to see that your altitude is above 100 (ft?), if its below this altitude the bomb drops and doesn't disperse but then turns into an object that acts like a dud."

Drop higher than 100m.