Sign in to follow this  
Zedrein

Military SciFi Projects Thread

I planned on doing some Warhammer 40K stuff for ArmA II, but there is just not enough of "fanbase" for SciFi stuff. I mean making an addon for ArmA II is quite difficult, escpecially the texturing. If I do all the work, at least I want to see some people be glad about it.

But if I look at threads like the one about Battlestar Galactica, Stormtrooper, or whatnot, which tend to be on page 2 after a day because no one is interested in it, whats the point? ArmA II player want 500 different "Special Forces Reskins" and every variant of the M4A1 Rifle ever in existance. They dont care for Space Marines or Battlemechs.

So now I have returned to the 10 year old Operation Flashpoint. The WH40K-mod there is still active, and even If I do just one addon there are more "wow cool thank you!"-posts then there would be in ArmA II. Also other mods are around, Jurassic Park, Thyra, 3148-SciFi Mod...There is still some live left in OFP.

(Oh and if you use FFUR '85 and Kegetys .dxdll mod you can still look at it without your eyes bleeding :D )

http://s5.directupload.net/images/110222/r6jww3nl.jpg (By me)

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/373/inqstrormtrooper2.jpg (Not by me)

Edited by Altimeter

I planned on doing some Warhammer 40K stuff for ArmA II, but there is just not enough of "fanbase" for SciFi stuff. I mean making an addon for ArmA II is quite difficult, escpecially the texturing. If I do all the work, at least I want to see some people be glad about it.

They would if there would be a pack of it. Plus i would do it for my own pleasure than anyone's else. I thought so was everyone else

The difference between making a sci fi addon and making a contemporary one is that with the later you will have immediate gameplay, as it would better and quickly fit with the vanilla content (IE: 1 SCI FI spaceship vs 1 contemporary jet/chopper).

I'm wrapping up this project that dates back to OFP. With all credits attached of course.

Name will probably change so it doesn't collide with Visitor tool :]

A "War of the Worlds" adaptation for ArmA would be superb. Imagine this:

Hill Battle

I can imagine being a lone trooper, facing a huge lumbering Tripod with its signature wail. Of course I'd think "The Javelin's the key!"

I mentioned "World Invasion: Battle LA" merely as a template for the type of format I would like to see in an alien invasion ArmA mod. Aliens that are similar to us in terms of weaponry but clearly very advanced. I think it would be fantastic to see a very alien looking craft tangling with a F-35 in the sky.

visitors.jpg

IceBreakr - awesome!

Guys, you have to see this video by dcal:

It encaptures exactly what I had in mind. My idea is to have a mod titled "World Invasion: Battle..." wherever it may be. So "Battle Chernarus...Battle Sahrani..Battle Tajikistan" etc. There's clearly interest in such a project. Anyone who's seriously considering it please get in touch with me. This type of mod is screaming to be made.

Edited by Mach2Infinity

Space Invaders Mod here will work (sort of) in ArmA 2, but is in desperate need of updrades.

I love setting up a battlefield in the editor and having a swarm of their little fighters and tanks come in from the coastline followed by a few of those bellowing motherships.

It's almost terrifying (or it would be if it were real life) to be one of those hapless soldiers on the ground. Our weapons having virtually no effect, your position being overrun and there's nothing you can do to stop them.

;1862327']A "War of the Worlds" adaptation for ArmA would be superb. Imagine this:

Hill Battle

I can imagine being a lone trooper' date=' facing a huge lumbering Tripod with its signature wail. Of course I'd think "The Javelin's the key!"

I mentioned "[b']World Invasion: Battle LA[/b]" merely as a template for the type of format I would like to see in an alien invasion ArmA mod. Aliens that are similar to us in terms of weaponry but clearly very advanced. I think it would be fantastic to see a very alien looking craft tangling with a F-35 in the sky.

visitors.jpg

IceBreakr - awesome!

Guys, you have to see this video by dcal:

It encaptures exactly what I had in mind. My idea is to have a mod titled "World Invasion: Battle..." wherever it may be. So "Battle Chernarus...Battle Sahrani..Battle Tajikistan" etc. There's clearly interest in such a project. Anyone who's seriously considering it please get in touch with me. This type of mod is screaming to be made.

I have ideas for a new video when this comes out. Looking forward to introducing one of those things to the business end of an SMAW:D

I think that Sci-Fi addons for ARMA 2 are very much wanted and would create a new view on the game. Personally, I feel as if we need one very "good" addon that takes care of the whole genre, like the Undead mod.

Right now we have a slew of sci-fi addons like the Predator Mod, Stargate stuff, somewhat functioning mechs, BSG units and etc.

As Kage74 said, there is the "Space Invaders" mod for "ArmA" which should work mostly work with "ArmA 2/OA". However, they do need to be updated and I think if someone were to perhaps emulate the alien craft soon to be seen in the "Battle LA" film for example. It could provide an interesting set of base-addons to be used for an alien invasion mod. I think I should experiment when I have the time!

I already have a contributor to the project and he's working on the turret & wreck model right now.

I checked out the Space Invaders recently, all the units work fine with player control but you put AI into the driver and gunner positions and they are totally clueless. :)

I checked out the Space Invaders recently, all the units work fine with player control but you put AI into the driver and gunner positions and they are totally clueless. :)

How are you getting them to work? Every time I load them up the game crashes...

I spawn them Empty, then I will take a unit and just do a quick "this moveindriver a" command. I didn't know that you could spawn them with a pre-defined unit?

I spawn them Empty, then I will take a unit and just do a quick "this moveindriver a" command. I didn't know that you could spawn them with a pre-defined unit?

Independent > Other

But, when I spawn them, the game usually crashes as I said. If it's an AI, then they act fine until they get near the player, then the game crashes. Didn't try the "empty" method though.

Ah then there ya go. Never tried the Independent > Other method. Anyway do you see how they act a bit screwy when engaged in combat?

Usually they don't even open fire at all, or the tanks will flip over it's a bit hilarious actually.

This is the last game i would add mechs to. The physics are horrible! And the mechs would be the only thing with more than half an animation.. It just wouldn't fit!

The only real problems I've had with the Space Invaders Mod is that the little tanks are constantly flipping over. The AI doesn't seem to have much trouble flying the mothership and or operating it's heatray against enemy targets or flying around in the little fighters.

But having an ArmA 2 quality "Visitor" mod will be really kewl to play with. We're looking forward to seeing what you come up with Icebreakr.

^_^,v,,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for adding mechs to this game, the only problem I have really had with that is the animations. Lots of the mechs out there don't really move they way they should. I know everyone wants bipedal walking mechs, but I still think having them move around like a Tachikoma would be easier and look better. You wouldn't have to worry about a walking animation except at low speeds.

The 2 mechs from the old BOH mod for OFP were pretty kewl back in the day. If I remember correctly they could even jump couldn't they, or am I thinking of some other mech from OFP?

Edited by kage74

I've included this space invaders mod to A1 and A2 squadnight in two or three occasions and it seems dedicated server crashed each time I used this addon or mission didnt load... did anyone else experience that?

This is the last game i would add mechs to. The physics are horrible! And the mechs would be the only thing with more than half an animation.. It just wouldn't fit!

the warhammer mod in OFP made the small humanoid mechs simply as soldiers. It worked very good. I just remember there are two mechs already out for armaII using this and with some custom animations. With the unit switching in ArmaII you could even implement a "virtual" enter and leave function.

I don't know how it would scale to larger mechs and you can't implement a crew.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

@kage74 I liked your SI mod. I understand you have high quality standards, still wish someone would port it to ArmaII

DoWant: Terminator T-800 unit with pulse rifle etc.

I know one exits for AmedAssault but it doesn't work in ArmA2 or OA.

Could it be fixed in the config?

Original by Marccom: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id...ght=TERMINATOR

Cheers,

ED

It can be done, I know, since I succesfully tried that out. But you'll have to ask Marccom if he's okay with it being updated.

But if I look at threads like the one about Battlestar Galactica, Stormtrooper, or whatnot, which tend to be on page 2 after a day because no one is interested in it, whats the point? ArmA II player want 500 different "Special Forces Reskins" and every variant of the M4A1 Rifle ever in existance. They dont care for Space Marines or Battlemechs.

well thats the thing, one needs to generate interest before you can have interest.

and youre wrong about the star wars or BSG mod, for the amount of actual content they have -which isnt very much tbh- they have a huge amount of interest in them

battlestar galactica mod only has 6 ships and two releases yet there is over 8 pages in their completed thread the reason its relegated to 2nd or third page is it hasnt been updated in months

even more for the star wars mod, its only received a couple of beta releases yet the thread is 63 pages long! and it still pops up even though mcruppert said he stopped working on it! many modmakers can only dream of generating so much interest for such little effort.

the reason why sci fi modding hasnt taken off on arma 2 is due to lack of content, there hasnt been a single large regularly updated mod out there that has taken the community by storm and thus modders have adopted a 'wait and see' approach. i believe that many modmakers have plenty of whacky ideas just waiting to be used but are holding back on committing to them unless they see a very clear demand for it.

also with OFP, non standard mods such as sci fi or historical mods only really began to take off several years into release when the mod scene was abundantly saturated with every realistic modern day weapon and skin available in the world. arma 2 is still relatively new and i think we are just about reaching that saturation point, all we need to do is get the ball rolling. i mean, even a direct port of OFP40k to arma 2 complete with the muddy textures would be huge!

unfortunately thats about as far as i can help, ive only just begun attempting to model and its gonna take a while before i can make anything useful :(

I just saw the movie as well and shamelessly threw a belligerent mod request up in my excitement and was sent here :D

Anyways If mechs cant be done I still think the Terminator idea can work with T-800's and have an invasion scenario similar to Battle LA (does not need to be LA of course just present day urban area) only with Terminators or something to that effect.