Sign in to follow this  
Zedrein

Military SciFi Projects Thread

That Pulse Rifle looks good, will you be doing other weaponry like the smart gun :D

I plan on making everything in the Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual.

Dropship

APC varients

Tanks

Mobile Artillery

VP-70

Pulse Rifle

Smart Gun

Flamethrower

Sniper rifle

Shot gun

SADAR

PIG

HIMAT

RPG

And some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

@Therussiandong

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/booce/ArmA%20II/Aliens/M-41a/ArmA2OA2012-06-0423-00-40-47-1.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/booce/ArmA%20II/Aliens/M-41a/ArmA2OA2012-06-0422-58-09-38.png

Also, a new one.

th_ArmA2OA2012-06-0501-18-03-60.png

Edited by b00ce

It looks like you might have a bit of an alpha problem going on on the buttstock and barrel shroud. To get rid of that, try changing the file to a _co file before packing.

It looks like you might have a bit of an alpha problem going on on the buttstock and barrel shroud. To get rid of that, try changing the file to a _co file before packing.

But isn't _ca for textures with alpha channels?

_co has a 1 bit alpha. I recently had to change some CWR textures from _ca to _co to solve that alpha halo problem.

hmm i thought if you put alpha in _co , when particles go by it will look all see through the _co ?

or is it when you apply _CO with aplha (windows) to vehicles only this problem occur ?

hmm i thought if you put alpha in _co , when particles go by it will look all see through the _co ?

or is it when you apply _CO with aplha (windows) to vehicles only this problem occur ?

AFAIK from my experiences with the cwr2 m60 that you could see through particles and stuff when the _ca texture was applied to the tank treads but not when it was a _co texture.

Hmm , apologies if i am getting it mixed , but i am assuming then that tank track had no alpha ? as there usually a part of the the 24 bit _co if memmory doesnt fail me. ?

Hmm , apologies if i am getting it mixed , but i am assuming then that tank track had no alpha ? as there usually a part of the the 24 bit _co if memmory doesnt fail me. ?

Whose tank tracks? Do you have access to the cwr2 files that I don't know about?

I just tried it out, it did seem to mitigate it a little bit. But it is still noticeable. Also tweaked the shadow volume so it doesn't cast shadows on the model and updated the normal map so some features are more prominent.

th_ArmA2OA2012-06-0514-01-13-75.png

Whose tank tracks? Do you have access to the cwr2 files that I don't know about?

I beg your pardon ?

I entered this thread to pass on what i thought i had learned but also willing to be educated thus my apologies on the front end ?

_CO - color (diffuse map), sRGB color space

_CA - color with alpha (diffuse map with alpha), sRGB color space

Now it's noticible against the model itself but not the background so you can select the faces with the alpha pixels and go to faces\move to top.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

I beg your pardon ?

I entered this thread to pass on what i thought i had learned but also willing to be educated thus my apologies on the front end ?

Well your question was that you thought tank tracks were 24 bit _cos.

Obviously if I'm fudging around with alpha layers on the cwr2 tank tracks to solve a rendering problem, the tracks have alphas. This may not be true for everyone's tank tracks, so I asked whose tank tracks, and pointed out that if I'm talking about alphas on a specific tank's tracks, obviously the answer to your question about that specific tank is 'no'.

cheers for answer :)

what i was driving at is , i remembered _CO on vehicles with windows would need a _ca for the Aplhas , however your now saying Tracks ( which i assume is defined as Pas_l /r section still) and weapons in this case maybe different .

just something else to add to my education and wonder if the Pas_l and wepaon class have been defined with over ride in engine to stop this all see through texture maybe. or maybe Tank tracks are now not in the Main texture of the body anumore but seperate _co texture ?

Of course it can also be rvmat flags I suppose , I am not so clued on this ?

Edited by Thromp

Thanks, Max, works perfectly now! :D

th_ArmA2OA2012-06-0514-40-35-73.png

Can you perhaps do test and see if muzzle flash / particle smoke from another rifle affects see through of a gun by ai please , I am intrigued by this .

Cheers

Just performed the requested test, everything looks fine.

Cheers , this will save me on loads of sections in my addon , thanks both

Oh and maybe a tip in return , you mention your model.cfg , remember only 100 bones per model or it messes up :) .

Edited by Thromp

cheers for answer :)

what i was driving at is , i remembered _CO on vehicles with windows would need a _ca for the Aplhas , however your now saying Tracks ( which i assume is defined as Pas_l /r section still) and weapons in this case maybe different .

just something else to add to my education and wonder if the Pas_l and wepaon class have been defined with over ride in engine to stop this all see through texture maybe. or maybe Tank tracks are now not in the Main texture of the body anumore but seperate _co texture ?

Of course it can also be rvmat flags I suppose , I am not so clued on this ?

In my experience, the biggest influence over transparency is the alpha channel of the diffuse texture. That's all I can really say about it. Some people have some weird problems with different things like vegetation and that stuff. Even with no rvmat I've never noticed something extreme like the instead of alpha a texture is black or something. In situations like that I would say that the problem is probably with the image file- or at least I would look there first.

An image file with a _ca suffix will be converted to a dxt5 paa with an 8 bit alpha. A file with a _co suffix will be converted into a dxt1 paa with a 1 bit alpha. The chief difference between these files before conversion by texview/O2/whatever is the file name. The chief difference in the files afterward is the complexity of the alpha channel. For some reason, sometimes ArmA makes things that are not perfectly opaque and not perfectly transparent see through everything behind that object. I think it might have something to do with mipmaps or texture filtration or something, I don't know. Changing the file to a _co before conversion makes it a 1 bit alpha, so things are either perfectly transparent, or perfectly opaque, with nothing in between.

Cheers , this will save me on loads of sections in my addon , thanks both

Oh and maybe a tip in return , you mention your model.cfg , remember only 100 bones per model or it messes up :) .

That may be a hard limit, but afaik that limit is defined by the packer and it is customizable to a certain extent.

edit: A more clear way of putting it is that those limits may be defined by packers. We recently increased the limit in our project to accomodate zguba's excellent work animating various doodads on our vehicles. Our internal limit was 45 or something IIRC. It is possible that 100 is not the absolute limit, but I don't think we have yet surpassed that limit to see for ourselves.

Edited by Max Power

Well thanks again for explanation,

Not sure about packer , if you saw my wall destruction example in TOH forum , it messed up big style in bulldozer when I hit a limit of around 100 . If I ever get time I'll do a propper experiment ,see what it actually is .

I don't know about OFP but in my experience (arma and onwards) it seems like the tracks are always on a separate texture. They are also seemingly a texture that is endlessly tiling, and the tracks are animated by translating the uvs of the treads up and down in uv space to give the appearance of motion.

Aaaaand Back on topic. ;)

ArmA2OA2012-06-0623-19-44-57-1.jpg

th_ArmA2OA2012-06-0623-26-11-98.pngth_ArmA2OA2012-06-0623-25-18-30.pngth_ArmA2OA2012-06-0623-16-48-15.png

The only issue I have with it now is the grenade launcher canister rounds fire up at a 45 degree angle and I don't know why... The regular grenades work fine. :confused:

Very nice sir! Does the digital ammo count reader change?

"Don't just cradle it and give it a lullaby. I want to see what this weapon does, son!" "Yes sir! Right away sir!" :D

I wish it did. But alas, I have no clue how to make that work so its stuck at 95 and doesn't glow.

Also, I'm having trouble with the bolt, trigger and magazine animations, I have absolutely NO clue what I'm doing in the model.cfg. :confused:

So I decided to take a hiatus from the Model.cfg conundrum I've worked myself into, I can't for the life of me get the bolt or the trigger to move, and worked on this instead of pulling my hair out.

ultimatebadass.jpg

So I decided to take a hiatus from the Model.cfg conundrum I've worked myself into, I can't for the life of me get the bolt or the trigger to move, and worked on this instead of pulling my hair out.

There was a post recently about moving bolts (was it w0lle that was trying to do it ? ). Can't remember the post myself (or where I saw it) or I'd post a link!