Sign in to follow this  
Brainbug

German KSK units retextured

Any chance brainbug your gonna do some regular German units, I love BW Mod, but they're infantry units not so much....

Any chance brainbug your gonna do some regular German units, I love BW Mod, but they're infantry units not so much....

No, I think it's better to ask the BWMod guys to adjust their textures a bit, I agree with you that their desert soldiers seem a bit dark. But it's rather pointless for me to start working on that. They can change it in their own files with two mouse clicks, while I had to adjust the configs and all, that would be much more work. And also I think they prefer to keep control over their work.

However, if you don't need a signed BWMod, you could just change the textures for yourself: unpack the bwmod_char.pbo, adjust brightness and color in the textures that are in soldat\desert and soldat\isaf (just some filters applied to the whole texture do fine) and repack it, and you're good to go. Of course I can't and won't upload such a changed BWMod file.

Apart from these slightly too dark desert skins, the BWMod Inf are great models, very detailed and with realistic gear. Much better actually than the KSK Models by BIS, which are partly copied from other guys (e.g. the team leader has a lot in common with the NAPA guy in flecktarn, actually I could recycle his jacket texture) and therefore don't necessarily resemble the usual Bundeswehr gear.

Apart from that, I have no clue how to make models on my own.:o

I always thought for some weird reason that signing addons is a big issue (something like applying for a key at some high authority until they think my poor soul is worthy to receive one^^), but after taking a look at the arma-wiki, I finally know it isn't at all *duh*

So here is version 2.1, now signed. Better late than never.

I think that taking out the healing ability is a huge mistake. Special Operations operators or trained very, very well in first aid and combat life saving abilities. A Special Operations medic is someone who is going to be able to pretty much do surgery in the field. However, everyone of them should have the ability to heal.

That had been my thought at first, too, so it made sense. But if you use the replacement and are playing against people who don't use it, you gain an advantage, also that might cause some weird errors on the server. So it is better to stick to the properties of the default units. And as someone pointed out somewhere above, mission makers still have other ways to give non-medics healing ability.

That had been my thought at first, too, so it made sense. But if you use the replacement and are playing against people who don't use it, you gain an advantage, also that might cause some weird errors on the server. So it is better to stick to the properties of the default units. And as someone pointed out somewhere above, mission makers still have other ways to give non-medics healing ability.

I see your point. I didn't think anyone played PvP in this game. The game isn't exactly balanced, which is the way it should be. In real life the United States and it's allies always have superior firepower and technology.

any chance of this evolving into making new skins?

would love to see KSK operators like this:

http://www.taz.de/uploads/hp_taz_img/xl/ksk_b.jpg

coyote brown platecarrier, mich helmet, bolle goggles.

and all models with nomex gloves, they are mandatory for forces outside the wire.

great to see people working on european forces, especially ISAF partners!

@Mirindor: I tried not to use that (inofficial) term, because the term "Tropen" refers to the material and not to the pattern. There are also "tropentarn" uniforms in green flecktarn, officially called e.g. "BwFeldbluse FT Tropen" (which is a shirt in 5-color FT and made for warm climate, i.e. thinner cloth, slightly different cut etc.). Officially, the desert pattern is called 3-Farb FT (3-color flecktarn).

@pre-Vet: As I said above, I can't do modelling (yet?), but I've already thought about retexturing other models. But at the moment it's just too hot here and I'm unmotivated ;)

Edited by Brainbug

I too am hoping to see more from you in the future, very nice job on the additional soldiers!

Now updated to version 2.2, see fixes/improvements in first post.

i like these camos on normal soldier models (i dont like the weirdo ksvk soldiers with the towels on their heads) but the tropentarn camo is far too bright, the yellow should be greyed out imo.

i think the OA default color for the tropentarn is more suitable

PS this is as of v2.2, because i read you have changed the colors once already, i dont have the old version

otherwise a good addon

use this for reference, as you can see theres actually no yellow in the originals ;)

http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/product/685

Edited by MirindoR

can you make a skin without mixing woodland camo ("flecktarn") with desert camo ("tropentarn")? it's usually a no-go to mix up camouflage, I'm quite positive that applies to most nation's military units.. surely there are exceptions - but why pick exceptions as a template for a skin?

that's the only reason I dislike these, other than that they look good.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

... but the tropentarn camo is far too bright, the yellow should be greyed out imo

use this for reference, as you can see theres actually no yellow in the originals ;)

http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/product/685

you are comparing the colors of a screenshot of soldiers standing in sunlight with a picture taken under a neon lamp..

2009-06-24-xxl--20090624075908_DEU_Afghanistan_Bundeswehr_Tote_FRA104.jpg

they ain't so grey as you thought it would be. the color is good (I AM german, I know how it looks like).

I agree. Definately a good addon, but can you please change the color of the desert units to full desert, not a mixed one?