Sign in to follow this  
SPC.Spets

Tank speed

You can't base any serious decission solely on advertising/PR or similar videos. Next idea is to base anything on Hollywood and action movies/series.... :rolleyes:

Well hollywood and action movies are far from real footage, even though its only youtube.

Anyways, according to this video -

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfur0TEtuVQ&feature=related"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfur0TEtuVQ&feature=related[/url]

The slope gradient slope is unknown but the T80 travels some 21 meters in 4 seconds and the lenght of the T80 is 7 meters across the hull. (no gun ;)

so we should get close to speeds of about 19km\h

yup, and ingame we would see some 10 at best

Slow and easy, this is a vid that shows much more what combat oprational terrain driving looks like.

As you can see here, the high speed action needs flat terrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCpqTv3rTWE&feature=related

And even in this Leo II video, and the Leos can do 72km/h whoever says he drove faster got fooled by the speedometer that shows too much 10% in average, none of them is faster as 60km/h since mud will slow them down...like sand. ad snow.

Edited by Beagle

I understand that max power but it is clearly visible that the vehicle doesnt loose as much speed as currently implemented.

I just closed my editor and found out another odd behavior -

Well, if you don't find any data I really doubt you will find any sympathy with BIS. I would certainly not take your youtube founded word over DM's.

climbing sideways, slopes of roughly 15-20deg has the same effect as climbing in straight line, which by laws of physics is wrong and unaccaptable

Really? Because I climb hills I can only climb by doing switchbacks. I think you need to test again.

I understand a hard evidence is prefered but its not gonna happend and we all know it, becouse theres non.

There is some, there is a whole thread full of it that DM linked you to... unless you mean that there is no evidence that supports your opinion, in which case I would agree with you.

As said the videos uploaded are the best we can steer the decissions by

No they are not. There is actual tank drivers, specifications, and mathematical estimations, all of which blow away videos every day of the week.

@beagle, hehe seen them before :)

Though the only relevant thing I could see was the speed immersion in that terrain, which as i said earlier, is somehow missing when i play the game but i suspect thats becouse theres not properly modeled suspension, which would add the needed immersion of high/er speeds that the player feel ingame.

I also really wish the front part of the armor was almsot touching the ground like under full power brake :(

at the moment, its too stiff, almost no suspension

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:41 PM ----------

As Suma already suggested over at Dev heaven that the speed is some 8km\h at some 60% is correct, where the calculations are NOT correct is that the abrams does some 10-12km\h on roughly 15% and is loosing all its speed.

The hard evidence can be reproduced in the editor by going not straight line up ( and have all the weight at the back of the vehicle ) but has same effect as going stright.

IMO this is word against a word, I am unable to provide solid data but i've seen non in return and so I stand correct and by my point.

The number of treads created on this topic also suggest that players are looking for alternatives like towing vehicles or the ability to alter the values as they deem fit for their style of gameplay.

No they are not. There is actual tank drivers, specifications, and mathematical estimations, all of which blow away videos every day of the week.

I do wish i could see some but I'm looking for some myself and havent seen any just yet

As Suma already suggested over at Dev heaven that the speed is some 8km\h at some 60% is correct, where the calculations are NOT correct is that the abrams does some 10-12km\h on roughly 15% and is loosing all its speed.

:icon_rolleyes:

Except it matches the data and the real world experience ...

IMO this is word against a word, I am unable to provide solid data but i've seen non in return and so I stand correct and by my point.

Yes, and your word is based on youtube videos, my word is based on actually having driven tanks.

The number of treads created on this topic also suggest that players are looking for alternatives like towing vehicles or the ability to alter the values as they deem fit for their style of gameplay.

If you want Dragon Rising or BF3 style turbo tanks, then I (and I hate to do this, but) suggest you go play those games. I'll stick to my realistic sim thanks. (For this reason:

I don't want my logically-chosen position on a hill to be compromised by a magical cliff-zooming tank. I want to have the advantage when I play as a Takistani insurgent on rough terrain, making the armored death-dispensing juggernauts stick to the roads or risk losing their maneuverability and being destroyed.
)
I do wish i could see some but I'm looking for some myself and havent seen any just yet

Well we've got the specs you posted yourself from fas.org, then we've got my first hand experience. Or are you just selectively ignoring all the things that dont support your opinion?

From Confrontation: the strategic geography of NATO and the Warsaw Pact

By Hugh Faringdon

Soviet guide to Effects of Gradient on tank speed

Terrain considerations for vehicles

From Jane's Armour and Artillery 2005-2006

M1A2 SPecifications including Speeds on 10% and 60% gradient

From Confrontation: the strategic geography of NATO and the Warsaw Pact

By Hugh Faringdon

Soviet guide to Effects of Gradient on tank speed

Terrain considerations for vehicles

From Jane's Armour and Artillery 2005-2006

M1A2 SPecifications including Speeds on 10% and 60% gradient

Good references.

Therefore it seems that BIS got the reductions in speed going UP more or less correct, right?

Now, the real problem seems to be with the speed of tanks going DOWN.

And everyone agrees that it's way to high, right?

Yes, but you can't deny how much fun it is :D :moto: WEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I too agree uphill speed is fine.

:

Yes, and your word is based on youtube videos, my word is based on actually having driven tanks.

It's not that I ignored or didn't take your personal experience into consideration, I was dedicated finding some\any evidence myself, preferably video :)

If you want Dragon Rising or BF3 style turbo tanks, then I (and I hate to do this, but) suggest you go play those games. I'll stick to my realistic sim thanks. (For this reason:

)

Well I enjoy commanding tanks in arma but the few hrs i get to play the game I spend most of it driving to the objectives and lot less actually doing the real thing.

I wouldn't know how tanks behive in other games like BF3, I dont play it but in all honesty here, if the tanks were to be faster just little more, than yes I openly admit I'd prefer some driving physics from BF3 or whatever

Laughable or not as i said the current speed makes me wanna hurt myself

Well we've got the specs you posted yourself from fas.org, then we've got my first hand experience. Or are you just selectively ignoring all the things that dont support your opinion?

I did try to see it with open mind really, but I felt the reference Suma linked wasn't just good enough, as it seemed incomplete to me least to say

Weather the speeds are properly implemented in game or not, I'll take your word for it but I feel that we should have been at least given some towing support vehicle on maps like taki, which i might eventually create a ticket for

What I'm after though, is that working gear is needed, especialy for tracked vehicles or some kind of towing vehicle, that can transport the abrams to the objective more efficiently than driving it all over those hills.

Dont drive up the hills then.. Use the flat roads?

I do agree adding bounce to the suspension would help things a lot..

Edited by wolfbite

Yes, but you can't deny how much fun it is :D :moto: WEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I too agree uphill speed is fine.

Don't tanks have "speed governors"? I think the uphill is appropriate, but the down-hill is unrealistic. The "WEEEEEeeeeeee" factor is just unreal (although the comment is lol).

I'm sure they would, most commercial/large vehicles have them. Stops wear and tear ( and grunts who are enthusiastic with the throttle :) )

The other factor would be transmission/engine, it would be shredded if left to run at this speed, just as a car would. Even if you could use neutral or a clutch you would wreck the suspension parts/wheels/bearings and tracks on a tracked vehicle.

But for me, it's a pretty minor "bug"/oversight. Arma3 look to be making a big overhaul to physics so if we see it all it will be in there, that would be my guess.

I don't want tanks that drive uphill like a sportscar with an excuse "this is a realistic feature ArmA can do without". Why not remove recoil and ballistics then too? They stop me from just pointing a gun at enemy and immediately scoring frags. Voted the ticket down.

funny thread. So this is a sim? you really think A2OA is a sim? If this game was a "sim" you would throw your track on too much speed and turning. Your Tank would break down after driving 3k~ . You wouldnt be able to climb hills in a 60 ton tank...,But this is Armaverse, where all objects should be relative to each other, and the tanks go to fast.

BIS community! Y U NO face the truth? If it's a sim it must have all the things.

Edited by Max Power

Well I now know that Falcon 4.0 and DCS Black Shark/A-10 are not simulation games because tanks in them don't behave realistically.

Thankfully with ArmA3 being delayed BIS will make all the things this time.

Alright, having finished my extensive :p research on this topic I came to conclusion that suggested tank speed to gradient slopes are indeed pretty close to or as in IRL. Alright :rolleyes:

Where i'm not so sure though, is that tanks, at least by my observation, loosing their speed perhaps too much just driving over bumps.

What i think is once you reach its top speed or close to top speed, few bumbs or very low slopes shouldn't slow you down that much. It appears to me like the armors engine have been trough bad maintence and is now choking due to sand in its engine or whatnot.

I believe I've informed myself better this time as far as gradient speed climbing goes and perhaps should have suggested the speed loss not being so significant and so that armor can maintain its speed just little better.

Not having driven a real armor I'd like to know what is your opinion about this issue :)