Sign in to follow this  
SPC.Spets

Tank speed

Why is the tank so slow when you climb a hill?

10-15 km/h? seriously? and yes, I use SHIFT key also

:protest:

:protest:

My friend,

Do you even know that the laws of gravity still applies in the game. Think about it you got a hunk of metal that on average weights about 50 - 60 tons possibly even more going up on a hill. Depending on the hill Grade level, I think some Speed will be reduce.:p

Another dumb question in my book......... :slayer1:

No he has a point, tanks weigh heavy but they also have VERY powerful engines that have alot of kick and tracks are made for excellent grip and crawl..for example the abrams, supposedly the heaviest tank in the world weighing around 70+ tons can climb a 60 degree incline, the degree of which tanks lose speed for this engine is low.

Take a look at this picture.

http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download/2007/May/20070516/20070514ran8100087_017_lo.jpg

You wouldn't even dream of doing something like that with tanks here, the best you get is maybe stuck.

I am afraid there is nothing to put into a vehicles config that represent engine power or am i wrong?

well theres a simple fix i found on another website

ITS CALLED THE GET OUT AND WALK METHOD

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

LOL sorry i couldnt resist

Key Data:Crew4 (driver, commander, gunner, loader)Dimensions:Length With Gun Forward387inTurret Height93.5inWidth144inWeight69.54tGround Clearance19inGround Pressure15.4psiPerformance:Maximum Governed Speed42mphCross Country Speed30mphSpeed, 10% Slope17mphSpeed, 60% slope4.1mphAcceleration0mph to 20mph in 7.2 secondsRange265 miles cruisingManoeuvrability:Vertical Obstacle Crossing42inTrench9ftArmament:Main Armament120mm smooth bore cannon, M256Coaxial Weapon7.62mm machine gun, M240Loader's Weapon7.62mm machine gun, M240, on skate mountCommander's Weapon0.5-calibre machine gun, M2, on powered rotary platformNBC Protection200 SCFM, clean cooled airPower:PropulsionGas turbine engine, 1,500hpTransmissionHydrokinetic transmission (4 forward gear, 2 reverse gears)Power-to-Weight Ratio 21.6hp/t

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

see it here in a easyer reading format

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/abrams/specs.html

Tanks uphill are o.k. maybe a bit slow, but only in terms of a few km/h.

Keep in mind that the passes in Takistan are really mean like 30%...thats too much for M113, T34, T55 and even still a real problem for T72, Bradley and Abrams. I know this problem from back in the 90's when I served in the armoured recon force heavy platoon...depite the 1200 HP the 55 ton Leopard II A4 had troubles with steep terrain sustaining a high speed for long...something that logic implies.

15-20 is all you can exspect an such passes.

A real problem for me on the other hand is the downhill speeds we see in this game...a BMP doing 130 downhill is real nonsens.

No armoured vehicle should be able to do more than 80km/h downhill.

So basically:

Maximum Governed Speed - 42mph / 68kmh

Cross Country Speed - 30mph / 48kmh

Speed, 10% Slope - 17mph / 27kmh

Typical OA slopes within here I guess.

Speed, 60% slope 4.1mph / 6.6kmh

Not too far off really...

A real problem for me on the other hand is the downhill speeds we see in this game...a BMP doing 130 downhill is real nonsens.

Not much one can do about that outside of scripting though, although a better deterrant would be to make excessive speeds damage the engine, that would teach you real fast not to go joy riding.

Not much one can do about that outside of scripting though, although a better deterrant would be to make excessive speeds damage the engine, that would teach you real fast not to go joy riding.
It's the tracks, Nod, it's the tracks...you will simply loose them at around 100km/h. Thats the reason for the speed limiter in high powered MBTs, the tracks cant stand permanent high speeds above some point. Edited by Beagle

Gravity works going down hills as well as going up them, plus some armour can do over 80km/h on a flat anyway. 80km/h is approximatly 50MPH so it isn't particularly fast.

While we are on the subject, does anyone notice the pushbike seems to be limited to 120km/h. The Record in Scotland is over 95mph(153km/h) being clocked by the police when a cyclist was going down a particularly steep hill at Ullapool. This was just some random punter and not a record attempt BTW, the guy was well reprimanded once he finally managed to stop his bike.

Gravity works going down hills as well as going up them, plus some armour can do over 80km/h on a flat anyway. 80km/h is approximatly 50MPH so it isn't particularly fast.

While we are on the subject, does anyone notice the pushbike seems to be limited to 120km/h. The Record in Scotland is over 95mph(153km/h) being clocked by the police when a cyclist was going down a particularly steep hill at Ullapool. This was just some random punter and not a record attempt BTW, the guy was well reprimanded once he finally managed to stop his bike.

the matter hereby why it is impossible is by design of engine, brakes suspension and tracks...not by gravity. Its quite easy to destroy this parts in tank or APC as a driver ;)

Whats annoying to me is that fact that the game forces you to walk up a slope you cant force your character to try and run up it, very irritating.

Whats annoying to me is that fact that the game forces you to walk up a slope you cant force your character to try and run up it, very irritating.
maybe the reason is that "the game" tries to simulate things like a reduced running speed at a steep hill...you might still do the jogging movement at a incline...but your actual speed will do like walking RL. Edited by Beagle

the matter hereby why it is impossible is by design of engine, brakes suspension and tracks...not by gravity. Its quite easy to destroy this parts in tank or APC as a driver ;)

So they are limited by artificial or mechanical means, or by some restraint from the driver. In the latter case the driver could keep accelerating till the vehicle was eventually broken or damaged if he wanted. I would like the choice and freedom to do so and to hang with the consequences, it would add some more realism if they did have overspeed damage factored in and means you have to decide whether to gun it or to have restraint to keep the unit functional.

Sometimes you have to get the hell out to save the unit and limiting it won't help.

Good answer for the walking speed BTW, it did irritate me a little but I can now fully understand why it does so.

Pick up a 20kg pack and try running up a hill. I have, up in snowdon, and i can tell you within 5 second you want to die, even walking at marching pace is very hard. I used to think the same before i went, but after i came back i now think, if anything they go way too fast up a steep hill.

Also why is it we can now walk normaly up cliffs in OA ???

@ Liquidpinky

Regarding maximum speed in tracked vehicles...almost all of them have some kind of limiter, be it mechanical or electronic or just by the maximum engine revolution.

In case of older one slike BMP2...the engine and trnsmission would just quit service at 130km/h whereas the track might hold this for a while.

Tehre where experiment with the maximum Speed for the Lepoard II in its development...technically 120 was possible for a limited time...but in the end it got limited by a governer at 72. Why...simply because 19 year old drivers supported by their 23 year old tank commanders will try crazy stuff with a 1500 HP Biturbo.

I've seen crazy stuff in my service time done with high powered armoured vehicles...one was a real race beetween a Luchs ARV and A Fuchs APC both doing the 120km/h (by speedmeter at least) trying to outrun each other on a public road.

Another issue for me is with MBTs or IFV in Towns...you see them have the Guns have contact objects quite often in game...in real life if you stick your Gun into a brick building or drive it sidewards into a house...its practically fubar and the fight is over for you, back to maintenance center.

Edited by Beagle

What happened to the two guys outrunning eachother in a public road? XD

Anyway, about the cannons hitting objects such as houses and other vehicles, i agree it's unrealistic for them to just shrug it off and even have the tank "bounce" back, but, with the idiotic AI we have, moving the turret without any kind of logic it'd be insane to lose the gun just because you accidentally crept something after AI moved the cannon towards a building.

My friend,

Do you even know that the laws of gravity still applies in the game. Think about it you got a hunk of metal that on average weights about 50 - 60 tons possibly even more going up on a hill. Depending on the hill Grade level, I think some Speed will be reduce.:p

Another dumb question in my book......... :slayer1:

Lol...if only you knew how tanks move in real life...

They have so much power in them that they pretty much retain their normal full speed no matter if you're climbing a steep hill or not. They can go over almost any obstacle lol. Tank going uphill and barely making it through is a joke.

;1675891']What happened to the two guys outrunning eachother in a public road? XD
Nothing as far as I know...I was just scared to death in the back of the Fuchs. But I doubt that this was reported to anyone actually in charge.

I think there is a ex tank comander in these forums somewhere, maybe he could put an end to this debate . . . .:)

Lol...if only you knew how tanks move in real life...

They have so much power in them that they pretty much retain their normal full speed no matter if you're climbing a steep hill or not. They can go over almost any obstacle lol. Tank going uphill and barely making it through is a joke.

This is a myth...at a sustained incline like a mountain pass over 15% the speed drops quick and will stay low. The transmission will change to first stage immediately. you wont see speeds exceeding 20km/h in such conditions...all in first gear stage. And this a actually why using MBTs in high Mountain areas is to be avoided if possible. Edited by Beagle

To be honest, I just think that BIS havent bothered fixing anything on the old Arma 2 vehicles, yet they could do it if they wanted to. The Stryker artillery will go like 60km/h+ on a hill where an Abrams go backwards due to the incline, for some reason.

yeah, bu there have been times when it has slowed to 6 km/h. I am dead serious and not talking about straight uphill. That is painful to sit there with your fingers on the keys feelign like you want to get out and push.