Sign in to follow this  
Turbayne

Laser realism

This is how lasers should look:

yob78XCgBXE&start=13

Note the laser paints the target with a flaring blob, the beam is transparent and doesn't flare through empty air, visibility varies based on viewing angle and air particle density (smoke). The beam spreads a little so appears to maintain apparent thickness over distance from the emitter point of view.

Unfortunately none of this is modeled by OA:

r075XuhTZ0Y

The laser does not paint the target with a blob, the beam is opaque, flares through empty air and appears the same for all viewing angles. The beam maintains perfect thickness so shrinks rapidly into the distance from the perspective of the emitter. In addition they have finite length and stop abruptly, they move very robotically due to them exaggerating imperfections in the animation.

My suggestion would be to render the laser blob first and foremost, simulating the most important and useful part of the laser, and then consider adding a beam later, when it can be rendered in a way that doesn't compromise realism and visual aesthetics.

Edited by Turbayne

I believe this to be a limit of the games engine, I dont think it can render the laser like you want it to...

Probably could of added that A2 (or was it A1?) "laser designator blob effect" at the end- but Ill admit I have no idea what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Nevermind I do have a slight idea, though I couldn't find a video of it in Night vision mode.

a-6XVjQKq8Y

Edited by Sniper Pilot

I believe this to be a limit of the games engine, I dont think it can render the laser like you want it to...

The game is more than capable of putting a blob-dot at the end of the laser line. It's been doing it with the SOFLAM (Laser marker) for years.

^...and make the laser line more transparent... Job done.

Ideally opacity should be related to viewing angle so should hardly be seen from the side but a bit more solid from front or behind.

Duno about the beam divergence as it might be too hard to do that and look strange from the side.

Dragon Rising did the IR laser perfect,

it needs a blob at the end, and it needs more post process on the actual beam to me it just looks like a green line half the time.

The problem with beam divergence is the end of the beam will be abrupt ; it will look ugly on corners or curved surfaces.

I agree, but obviously the developers have to compromise when they build a game.

I am happy as it is, what's next: Units clothes flapping in the wind?

I for sure don't have that kind of PC.

Laggy: did you play aq? If so, read my nick backwords and pm me. :)

The game is more than capable of putting a blob-dot at the end of the laser line. It's been doing it with the SOFLAM (Laser marker) for years.

I meant the way the laser is rendered not the Blob......i dont think the engine can have a dynamic laser like CoD4: Gun and run warfare.. (I know his video is real footage, i just refrenced the nearest thing to memory)