Sign in to follow this  
Roger Johnson

Has anyone done a mech?

Hey Im searching for a mech addon with moving legs.

Currently Im working on a mech from the "Gundam"-universe (MS-06 Zaku II) and the model itself is quite finished.

http://s5.directupload.net/images/100707/lgd7jhqa.jpg

But of course I need a reference-script for the legs to move. For Operation Flashpoint there were several "wanzer"-addons, and if no one has done something like this for ArmA 2 I hope I can extract the neccesary information from them. But of course it would be easier to take ArmA stuff for reference.

Thanks in advance

Search.

Scroll down a bit and you will see one

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74243&highlight=Mechs&page=244

I haven't heard anything from him since so I don't know if hes still working on it. And if you go to McRupperts Starwars addon thread he is working on an AT-AT which I presume will be a pain in the arse to animate.

Thanks.

Yeah the animation is hard, even harder for four leggs.

However I have to admit for starters I would be satisfied with an OFP-like animation. The Mechs in OFP did walk VERY stiff and it looked quite shitty, but it was sufficent.

Oh well, well see what I can come up with. I just remembered how to let minigun-barrels rotate, so the rest should come to me as well eventually :D

I've been wondering about mechs, could it at all be possible to config a "soldier" type unit to be enterable or controllable trough a script, so you have a special unit whichs walks (maybe custom animations and somekind of hardcoded non-droppable weapons) but can be entered and controlled like a vehicle? Sort of like a UAV but fully controllable (move the pilot somewhere safe?)... How hardcoded are the soldiers in ArmA2 anyways, can they for example be scaled at will, and if so will collision detection work? How about blood particle effects, can they be removed? The predator addon for OfP and terminator addon for ArmA did some interesting things regarding unit parameters...

Definately would be nice to have a mech as a vehicle, specially considering all the cool UI stuff you can do. Oh yeah, and FLIR ofcourse.

I've been wondering about mechs, could it at all be possible to config a "soldier" type unit to be enterable or controllable trough a script, so you have a special unit whichs walks (maybe custom animations and somekind of hardcoded non-droppable weapons) but can be entered and controlled like a vehicle? Sort of like a UAV but fully controllable (move the pilot somewhere safe?)... How hardcoded are the soldiers in ArmA2 anyways, can they for example be scaled at will, and if so will collision detection work? How about blood particle effects, can they be removed? The predator addon for OfP and terminator addon for ArmA did some interesting things regarding unit parameters...

This had been done once for OFP, and only once for a reason, its not worth it.

On the pro side you had realistic leg-movement.

On the other hand, there were tons of limitations and errors that occured from it because it was under "soldier" class, like erratic camera movement, very vulnerable to fire, graphical errors when the mech ran or crouched etc.

And of course, the gameplay elements. The "vehicle-class" can stand empty at a base, and you have to climb into it. It can be repaired, or loaded with ammo (without strange animations like with the soldier-mech). It can use a much broader spectrum of different weapons at the same time. It can move more like a mech, turn the torso up to 360 degrees etc.