Sign in to follow this  
MavericK96

OA Mission E04: Jackal

Has anyone managed to successfully complete this mission? I am able to take out one of the 3-man groups that patrol near my drop point, as well as one of the tower guards, but then no matter what when I shoot the other tower guard, the alarm goes off. Also, if I move in anything other than prone whilst inside the base, the alarm goes off because they somehow magically hear me through the barracks walls. Starting to get frustrated with this, because I have a silenced weapon and yet they seem to be able to hear or see me no matter how dark or quiet I am.

Has anyone managed to successfully complete this mission? I am able to take out one of the 3-man groups that patrol near my drop point, as well as one of the tower guards, but then no matter what when I shoot the other tower guard, the alarm goes off. Also, if I move in anything other than prone whilst inside the base, the alarm goes off because they somehow magically hear me through the barracks walls. Starting to get frustrated with this, because I have a silenced weapon and yet they seem to be able to hear or see me no matter how dark or quiet I am.

Uh... it's a stealth mission. Why are you shooting people?

I did it with killing anybody (well, without killing anybody before blowing up the tanks, the explosion killed a few :P)

I wasn't able to get into the base without somehow being seen, even though it's complete darkness outside.

I finished this mission. Prone is the way to go....

I wasn't able to get into the base without somehow being seen, even though it's complete darkness outside.

I entered from behind the base, in the wall there is usually some broken sections where you can sneak in if you go prone.

It is pretty hard, but I also finished it without firing a shot.

I crept through a small hole in the wall, near the armoury (just mind a BMP) and crept to the tanks. The enemy has no NVG so they see pretty bad in the dark. There are convinently placed extra satchel charges behind the tanks; the trick is to match your satchel-planting pattern with a guard that walks around the tanks so he always has a certain distance (hearing distance) to you, and his back towards you.

It's okay to kneel, just remember that running is a no-go as it increases your detection range alot. You can sneak out the same way and place a charge by the armoury on the way out. Keep one for the fuel station on your way up in the hills.

Good luck!

I killed (head shot) one guard in tower and other one that walks around the tanks. That didn't alarm the rest of the base. Then I just crawled to tanks and planted the satchels.

I crawled to the tanks and placed satchels then crawled to the Service point and left satchel then sneaked to gas station and planted satchel. withdrew in the direction of exfiltration and when behind some rocks, set the lot off. then made my way to exfiltration and avoided any patrols on the way there. I didn't want to get in a fire fight with them as I wasn't sure if there were any others in the area. Result was a total success.

I finished this mission. Prone is the way to go....

:yeahthat: also If one of the guards walks up to you and starts following you just stay prone, keep laying as many satchels as you need to, shoot him in the face then gtfo because once you get up he'll recognise you and kill you, It's REALLY immersive how once the alarm starts ringing, searchlights move around wildly and search parties get sent out to look for you, it's a sight you don't want to miss! I didn't think BIS were capable of making such immersive missions after their rather 'measly' attempts at singleplayer scenarios in ARMA and ARMA2...

I'll upload my attempt to youtube when I finish it

I saved the game about 300m from the base after having laid down all the satchels so I'll finish it soon :p

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I have been trying to enter the base from the wrong side, near the two guard towers and the barracks. It seems like they always hear me no matter what when I enter there, so I will try the back side.

Just finished the mission, jesus christ that was immersive, my adrenaline was pumping the whole way through and moving and planting the satchels in time to the guard moving patrolling in close proximity made it so damn tense.

The way I entered the base was from the east, i gave the guard tower a wide birth before entering the base through a hole in the wall.

When I set off my bombs and they set off a flare, a machine gun let off a few rounds in my general direction, now that scared the crap out of me and it was such a relief to safely reach the exfiltration point. This was a really well made mission, great job BIS.

Just managed to beat it using the advice you guys gave me. Thanks again :)

A couple of notes though:

-When I went up to the tanks, there was a guard just standing there next to one. He didn't ever move or patrol at all. I managed to plant 3 of the 6 satchels, when I got somewhat close to him while crawling. He then turned toward me, and ran over right next to me. I sat there for a second, expecting to get shot. He looked at me a few times, but just stood there. So after a bit, I risked moving, and strafed (while prone), around him to go plant more satchels. Sometimes he would run over to me again, sometimes he would just stand there as if I didn't exist, but I managed to plant all the charges and crawl away while he just stood there like an idiot. Some sort of AI glitch, clearly.

-I planted 3 satchels each on the secondary objective buildings and none of them seemed to have been destroyed when I set off all charges. How many should it really take?

-The times when the alarm goes off seem really random and nonsensical. Sometimes I was prone, crawling near a building in the darkest dark, and it would go off. Sometimes I would be crouched, running through the center of the base under a light post, and it wouldn't. It doesn't seem to be related to if an enemy sees you at all, just if they magically hear you or some other seemingly random trigger. Frustrating, really.

-One weird thing about this mission (maybe others as well, but this is all I've tested on it so far) is that sometimes when I would shoot an enemy in the head, I would see the impact, and then several seconds later he would drop dead. Sometimes I was able to shoot them half a dozen times before they finally dropped over, when they should have been dead the first shot.

-I also found a weird bug where while using NVGs in this mission, switching Antialiasing from Very High to Normal in the menu would make some of the textures (including my character) appear black after the switch. Switching back to Very High during the mission returned the textures to normal.

I didn't fire my rifle once. I parachuted right beside the tanks by the ammo crate and immediately went prone (The only guy to watch out for at the tanks is the lone guy circling around them, do not engage him or anyone for that matter, just stay prone all the way through the level). I placed one satchel charge beside each tank and got more from the crate once I ran out, next I went to the service building and placed two satchels beside one wall. I then crawled under the broken wall leading to the road and layed still if the armoured patrol came down the road, I waited till it went away then rolled to the other side of the road staying prone till I had placed one satchel charge beside the gas pump, and another inside the building. Finally there is a straight path up a hill then detonate all the Satchel Charges at once, makes for a great explosion and everything will be taken out at once.

I have my setting (patched and vanilla) to "normal/normal" with AI. I found it well balanced becuase I had to stay prone all from moving over the road and into the inner walls, i tried to crouch and it was trigger time every-time.

The guard walking around the tanks creeped me out a bit, I was fast crawling and knew he was on his second loop and had that panic film moment :)

At one stage I literally crawled past the extra ammo boxes to escape, I misread it that I could plant 2 charges and make "some damage" and get out, after I realised I had to crawl back and then spotted the ammo maybe 10 meters away. I scoped for where it might be on the hill and could never see it, I though it might be the second target from the fuel depot, dear me.

One moment I like I was on the hill just monitoring the patrols and working out which was the best way to go, slowly i moved down the hill and then stopped. I had thermal on checking any signs of enemy far right/left of roads, then all of a sudden my entire optics were lit up by 1 patrol man strolling past on the hill, it made me jump! He was about 5-10 meters away at the most, in thermal optics that can be very startling when your oblivious to it in the moment. I paused thinking I was dead ... he carried on so I checked he was alone and put one in the back of the head. Great moment, showing the randomness of it all :)

I very much enjoyed this mission, one which I will try again & again I think, and I haven't done that with A1/2 scenarios much.

Thermal and SF lone missions is so much immersion, love it.

Edited by mrcash2009

It seems to take 5 minutes to set a satchel charge. That's how long it takes my guy to get back up from the hunched over animation of setting the bomb, and if I move or do something else before then, it cancels the placement. That can't be right can it?

No, it should appear almost instantly with no special animation.

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead [sF Night Ops] The Jackal - Lone wolf base infiltration [pt1] HD

dMBH17nbego

"...Lone wolf mission to infiltrate and destroy enemy tanks before they leave base at dawn. Insertion via HALO; I have a silenced SCAR Mk17 rifle with a FLIR Scope, 6 Satchels and 2 Grenades.

No support available for this mission. The tank depot is heavily guarded, but with poor illumination - no projectors, only 3 street lamps inside the perimeter and a few more on the streets...

Watch in HD, it's a 3-part setting. I could've done things differently but I believe some people were asking me (via YT) for epic action. ;)

Watch in HD, it's a 3-part setting. I could've done things differently but I believe some people were asking me (via YT) for epic action. ;)

Nice videos. Definitely not a super-stealthy approach, but it was fun to watch. :cool:

Interesting that the AI didn't notice or care about the smoke grenade you threw, though. That definitely should be fixed in a patch. :p

I think people might want to try this under the new beta with lighting now effecting enemy so lamps/lights will now finally have AI spot you (before dark was black and lighting wasn't a factor), someone has posted it makes it super tuff.

man that whole mission need to be fixed , its funny . i did that mission all prone , i got in from the front gate of the camp in front of all the guards , the funny thing is they come up to u and say hello and follow u , as long a u r proned they dont do a thing , they dont even care that u r wearing US army uniform , just keep prone and the enemy will consider u one of them , its funny

man that whole mission need to be fixed , its funny . i did that mission all prone , i got in from the front gate of the camp in front of all the guards , the funny thing is they come up to u and say hello and follow u , as long a u r proned they dont do a thing , they dont even care that u r wearing US army uniform , just keep prone and the enemy will consider u one of them , its funny

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. Kind of bugged out, but really funny.

Well,try to landed directly inside the base, and that's it

Didn't care for this one. Yeah there is the tension immersion of not being spotted but more than anything it's testament to why these kind of games need ray-tracing or a more advanced system for AI spotting. As it was here, going prone seems to have a Frodo's cloak of invisibility effect on the AI.

Also, shot a lone soldier with silenced shot away from other enemies and the alarm went off instantly...I could understand if maybe a few seconds or the like but it was like somebody had their finger on the switch.

Didn't care for this one. Yeah there is the tension immersion of not being spotted but more than anything it's testament to why these kind of games need ray-tracing or a more advanced system for AI spotting. As it was here, going prone seems to have a Frodo's cloak of invisibility effect on the AI.

Also, shot a lone soldier with silenced shot away from other enemies and the alarm went off instantly...I could understand if maybe a few seconds or the like but it was like somebody had their finger on the switch.

This is very true.

Except that Frodo has no invisibility cloak.

Well ok, it made him blend into the backround so for all intensive purposes, he was non-visible. :p