Sign in to follow this  
walker

How to run Combined Operations as a OA!

Just to clarify the issue here and the reason why both Deadfast has created his tool and why SbSMac has created his tool (Kudos to both of you)

If a mission is created using ArmA2 content (for example the CDF BMP2) in the editor of a combined ops client and then is hosted either on a combined ops server or a standalone server the following will occur

1) Combined Ops server

a) If the client is a combined ops client he will be able to see and interact with the A2 content as you would expect

b) If the client is a standalone Arrowhead client he will be able to join the server, play the mission but he will not see the content. What should infact happen is the player should automatically be kicked off the server for not having the required addons

2) Standalone OA server

Both the OA client and the CO client can join the server and play the mission, neither can see the content. What should actually happen is the mission shouldn't load at all

Things would be even worse if the mission ran scripts on that content.

The OA client and the CO client both have identical common\addon folders

Addons in these folders have the same name as addons in stock arma2, however their content differs from stock arma2. Also some display names of some objects although different to one n other share the same display name which also adds to the confusion of "Is this an OA bunker or an ArmA2 bunker It is because of this, that it is very difficult for a CO client to create a mission that only uses OA content.

Bring on Deadfast's tool, which then unloads the A2 content from CO

and SbSMac's tool which tells you what client is needed and you can now develop and test your missions in a much easier fasion than was previously possible

Really though none of that should be necessary when the makers package a game like combined OPS the expectation is that it will work together seamlessly not that ok we can release this game and let the community fix it, I mean come on at least tell us thats what it is. I had the original arma 2 and bought combined ops because i thought it would be a seamless fit this is a lot of work for people and it shouldn't be.

Bottom line is, though, if you want to make a mission without addons, you should run the game without addons, and as far as I can tell this is possible for both steam and non-steam users as long as the games weren't installed into the same folder (and even then there's Xeno's workaround)? Even if BIS fixes the issues (making the missions simply not load and/or not let the player connect, which I agree is what should happen) mission makers would still need to make sure their missions are OA-standalone-compatible.

Really though none of that should be necessary when the makers package a game like combined OPS the expectation is that it will work together seamlessly not that ok we can release this game and let the community fix it, I mean come on at least tell us thats what it is. I had the original arma 2 and bought combined ops because i thought it would be a seamless fit this is a lot of work for people and it shouldn't be.

I would have to agree with Breeze..... this was basically a Standalone game and not intended to run as a combined server.....ppl are getting confused with the release and not seeing it as what it is.

Ive been with BIS running servers since day one starting with OFP in Australia and of course in those days online was only just coming into game-play but as the years went by and the games got more popular running a server was starting to get more involved..... so what I'm trying to say that servers and games are starting to become separated and game developers need to look at this on day one and not leave it to the public to fix the problem.

BIS I have found are one of the best in the Market that stick with their game and back it up by 100% so I would say that BIS are looking into this and hope we will see something come out to satisfy both the gamers and the server administration.

@Breeze: So you have two installations. How do you apply patch? Will it automatically install to both?

The best solution would be to allow us to simply deactivate Arma2 content when we need to work with OA content alone. But Deadfast's brilliant tool will have to do for now. What happens if I install next patch (which may "touch" Arma2 addon files) without "reactivating" Arma2 using Deadfast's tool?