Sign in to follow this  
Darvo

Operation Arrowhead Campaign

I agree the campaign was too short, I enjoyed what there was and also enjoyed the seperate single player scenarios.

I would have liked atleast one warefare mission even if it wasn't in the campaign but as a single mission.

I do hope the 'short' DLC campaign this month is atleast as long as OA's campaign but I doubt it.

warfare would be fun in takistan...recon missions would be fun in chernarus

warfare was in chernarus

recon in takistan

da fuk man!

as long as they're free.. :)

If we have to pay for DLC i'll be pissed off!

If we have to pay for DLC i'll be pissed off!

well, someone is a bit late to the party. Look at the British DLC thread in the General section of the ArmA II forum. Feel free to get pissed off about it, but don't get pissed off on the forum. There is a good reason to do what they are doing. Also... don't post anymore about it in here.

Well I have very mixed feelings about campaign and whole expansion... On the one hand it has very nice features like FLIR, bagpacks, nice weapons, overall it's huge improvment to the gameplay itself, BUT on the other hand campaign is a joke... 8 missions?!

Come on... original OFP campaign had 40!

Well it wouldn't be so bad if these missions were good but they are buggy as hell... tank missions with AI not able to function right in desert terrain , or infranty crawling from one village to another because of some randomly placed Taki soldier 2 km away... , whole campaign feels to be made under time pressure and not tested by anyone.

Another thing which I dislike are maps.. they are just too small! And well...maybe it's subjective but for me they are just boring... I hate desert warfare it is very repetitive it doesn't have original OFP missions climax , thing which really got me in that series in OA there are only monutains, few copy&paste buildings on claustrophobic map. Chernarus was a LOT better..., of course I understand that there are ppl who like this type of terrain, don't feel insulted I just describe my personal feelings :) Anyway I bought it and I play it cuz it's a BIS work which make the game cool, no matter where it takes place;)

Edited by Tarkin92

Well I have very mixed feelings about campaign and whole expansion... On the one hand it has very nice features like FLIR, bagpacks, nice weapons, overall it's huge improvment to the gameplay itself, BUT on the other hand campaign is a joke... 8 missions?!

Come on... original OFP campaign had 40!

Well it wouldn't be so bad if these missions were good but they are buggy as hell... tank missions with AI not able to function right in desert terrain , or infranty crawling from one village to another because of some randomly placed Taki soldier 2 km away... , whole campaign feels to be made under time pressure and not tested by anyone.

Another thing which I dislike are maps.. they are just too small! And well...maybe it's subjective but for me they are just boring... I hate desert warfare it is very repetitive it doesn't have original OFP missions climax , thing which really got me in that series in OA there are only monutains, few copy&paste buildings on claustrophobic map. Chernarus was a LOT better..., of course I understand that there are ppl who like this type of terrain, don't feel insulted I just describe my personal feelings :) Anyway I bought it and I play it cuz it's a BIS work which make the game cool, no matter where it takes place;)

A.) I never ran into any bug that I can think of in the entire campaign.

B.) I wasn't a fan of desert warfare but it runs on my computer a lot better than Chernarus so I am quite happy with it now.

C.) There are like 30 missions in the campaign. There are 9 Levels in the campaign. But each, or at least most, can be played from the perspective of 4 different soldiers (36) in MP or if you open them in the mission editor. I would like them to make them playable in SP though too. Not to mention there are several other variables that come into play that can make it different like failing certain objectives. And then there are also several good SP missions.

Yes, I totally agree with you about SP missions, they are great. Very climatic, you can really get the feel.

Well, looks like you were lucky with that campaign, there's a lot of ppl who are complaining about poor AI, not checking the objectives etc.

Although I can't agree with you about amount of missions in OFP , there are excatly 41 missions and I am pretty sure of it:)

Yes, they are playable in coop from very different perspective , but there was a time when we had damn good campaign for single player. And now all I get are few buggy missions without story.

For me story is the key in campaing, OA lacks it - even Harvest Red was better. I will allow myself to quote very wise post written by NodUnit in CWR thread.

This is why OFP's campaign was so popular, Armstrong was like an actual person fresh from bootcamp and thrown into the ****storm, who does what he has to but experiences panic, anger, fear, loss, joy and other emotions that most 'mainstream commando's for wahtever reason cannot display.

You were on the edge of your seat when Armstrong was captured by the soviets, you were panicked the first time you thought you had victoriously taken the town only to hear someone on the radio say there was a squad of T-72's headed your way, you felt fear when you were alone int he forest trying to avoid soviet patrols, we felt Victor's anguish when Liz was killed, his anger, we were just as ready to bring it to the soviets as he was.

And why? Because these were characters with a profile, people who expressed emotion and thought, spoke just as we probably would, they weren't always looking for a fight, they didn't eat sleep and breath war, they didn't even want it but they had to do it.

And that is what it so immersive, the ability to connect with our characters.

You just can't connect with someone who does nothing but shooting, who rarely speaks, who shows no or little emotion.

Yeah, I saw that post already and I too think that it is very true. That does not mean that the OA campaign is bad though. I would say that CWC and Res were better but I found OA to be incredibly fun and believable minus one or two minor things.

And like I said before I think that they should've made each mission playable in SP from all four perspectives. I don't know why they didn't. Maybe they'll patch it in.

I don't get how you can say that the desert warfare is boring and repetitive and the forest warfare wasn't. They are both equally repetitive although I would say that the desert one is slightly less so because of the steeper mountains being able to influence tactics more than the hills of Chernarus.

Well I'm old school all the way :D I don't feel good when I have too many soldiers to control but it's subjective feeling.

And about desert warfare, well I guess we can't come to agreement in that matter because we have significantly different likings :D I just prefer to see familiar landscape, plus I love to stealth in forest with my NV Goggles on and panickly look for spetsnaz :D anyway that only shows how great game is ARMA 2 becuse it different people different tastes :)

Well I'm old school all the way :D I don't feel good when I have too many soldiers to control but it's subjective feeling.

And about desert warfare, well I guess we can't come to agreement in that matter because we have significantly different likings :D I just prefer to see familiar landscape, plus I love to stealth in forest with my NV Goggles on and panickly look for spetsnaz :D anyway that only shows how great game is ARMA 2 becuse it different people different tastes :)

I actually enjoy European type environments more but the trees on Chernarus kill my computer. It plays a lot better than it used to but I just feel as though Takistan runs a lot better and with all the new stuff that came with it, is a better play at the time.

Ouch man I understand you, I updated my gaming rig for ARMA 2 but,... before... that was a wild ride:D 5 fps in Zelenogorsk:D

Ouch man I understand you, I updated my gaming rig for ARMA 2 but,... before... that was a wild ride:D 5 fps in Zelenogorsk:D

See thats the weird thing for me. The urban areas are fine its the wilderness with all the forests that kill it. In the urban areas and open fields I can have like a company vs company battle with only a bit of lag. In a forest though I can only have an almost unplayable squad vs squad.

Anyone know if it would be possible to edit OA-campaign, so that when playing it cooperatively with friends, you could all join the same team. Its not really that good for example to our clan, that consists of OFP/Arma-veterans and total novices (that doent know/dont care about commanding squad/squads)...

Anyone know if it would be possible to edit OA-campaign, so that when playing it cooperatively with friends, you could all join the same team. Its not really that good for example to our clan, that consists of OFP/Arma-veterans and total novices (that doent know/dont care about commanding squad/squads)...

I would imagine you just need to depbo and make the other guys in the team playable.

Nothing in this world will EVER compare with the experience of the original Operation Flashpoint. Maybe because I was younger and less jaded, I don't know... Maybe it was the fact that no other game at that time offered the variety and choices of Cold War. The voice acting was shitty the graphics where blocky and the missions were vague at best.

But I felt I was there. I've actually 'lived' in Everon.

That said I wasn't disappointed with OA at all. It was a fine little campaign. I can't remember any parts where I shat my pants or felt I was involved in the story. I just played through, killed a bunch of dudes and suddenly it was over. Not bad.

Now as someone previously stated the original game had 40 missions that involved stealth, armor, intelligence, aircraft, recon, guard duty, defending positions, stealing stuff, convoys, choppers, chasing a man all over the map, wandering for hours in the wilderness... even an amazing 'escape from captivity and run into the night using the stars for navigation' mission which really was awesome and groundbreaking for the time.

Was that so hard to do again? I mean you have the technology, the ideas, a fine editor with which you can create amazing missions in minutes! I could probably recreate most of the OA missions in the editor and I just know the basics.

Take the final mission for example.

Three scud targets in the city, kill a dude in a car and save the POW.

Really? Is that... all? Now don't get me wrong, I liked it... I just think BI could do SO MUCH MORE with this.

But I guess that's just me. I mean I've created missions in five minutes that lasted longer than the last mission and felt more challenging.

I could probably recreate most of the OA missions in the editor and I just know the basics.

Why don't you try depboing it and seeing just how complex it is. It isn't as easy as you think it is.

i got the game about 4pm and completed the campaign about 11pm. i was very disapointed on how short it actually is. Im finally happy its not all about a small squad that has to survive every mission and it was good to get to fly and use tanks bt come on £24.99 for this? I thought harvest red was short, it really does seem like the games are really getting smaller and smaller when you look back at the origianl operation flashpoint that had nearly 50 missions. and now we got the british forces expansion coming out which is said to be a "mini campaign." i do hope by mini its not 2 missions like the long awaited quickly completed Eagle Wing.

Why don't you try depboing it and seeing just how complex it is. It isn't as easy as you think it is.

Οh I am sure it is. As I said I know almost nothing about scripting and complicated functions. Action-wise I know what I did though: I run with my bradley inside the city and my gunner killed everyone. Then I destroyed the missiles, blew the SUV up and got to the temple.

Now I know there is a complicated mission infrastructure under there but as far as it concerns what I actually did to finish the mission, I can recreate that part of the experience. Maybe there will be no briefing, dialog and dynamic triggers and stuff but it will work.

I don't mean to diss the creators of the game. I love them. I love their game. I love their vision. I just expected something big and challenging. I guess I have to try it in expert mode and see if it changes the experience.

And we get to the point, ppl do not want some "mini-campaings". We want long, OFP style campaigns with lovable / hateable characters not some soulless robots from SF who are pwnig everyone around without blinking. We want missions like the one where you navigate using stars, not some chaotic , action paced madness, I have call of duty for that...

Edited by Tarkin92

Try the campaign Operation Crimson Lance, included with the BAF DLC. I'm very impressed with it. In fact, it's the best official campaign I've played in the Arma series second to Eagle Wing. It's still fairly short, but the missions are designed a lot like they were back in OFP. As I mentioned before, the last mission even reminds me of a specific mission in the CWC campaign. :D

You have also the single player scenarious in BAF can't recall how many now, but 9 missions for sure.

kind regards

OA campaign was too short, they should have included another part after defeating Takistani forces where you fight an insurgency.

It's like Iraq, defeated Sadam Hussein and his Baathist army, than there was an insurgency...

Name a "bug" you've found, please, and we'll see if it's actually a bug. ;)

I have had a few bugs to be honest.

The jackal convoy mission, i started it and 2 NPC`s started talking to each other, in a constant loop, the same phrase over and over again, if i could have found them, i would have shot them.

Needed a mission restart.

Third mission, my men started to refuse the regroup command completely, i could tell them to go to a point, they would always go, but if i simply ran ahead and asked them to regroup they just stood still, had to constantly tell them to keep up with me micromanage style till the mission ended.

Forth mission, two of my men die disembarking from the chopper at the beginning :confused: at this point i switched it off, so not found any more yet ;)

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

OA campaign was too short, they should have included another part after defeating Takistani forces where you fight an insurgency.

Never finished the OA campaign (actually i never finished the A2 one either)

As soon as they get up towards the horrible high command stuff, i loose interest.