Sign in to follow this  
bladebarrier

Sandstorm Help Needed

I'm having an awful time trying to complete this mission. My teams are constantly crashing into each other, or buildings, or just stopping for seemingly no reason and not proceeding on with the rest of the group.

I've tried the mission by just using my single M1A2, and I suppose it might be doable with enough tries and saves, but I was hoping that it's just user error on my part and that there's a better way to go about this mission.

Thanks,

--bb

Im at this mission and dont have any problems commanding the units (CTRL + Space bar). I assume you are using F1,F2,F3,F4 to send them to different locations on the map.

Sticking to the roads also makes the units behave normally. Getting them to climb hills cross country can be problematic.

My problem is I cant seem to Repair or Re-arm using the support vehicles.

This mission is pretty tuff IMO. Happy hunting.

Best advice to avoid crashing is to spread your units out.

What I did:

I send two along the road towards the airbase. Onother one through between those two minefields. Before I did that I killed most tanks with my M1A2 from a good 1700-2500m away. Also I called in artillery before I moved on. When I entered the base there were only some infantry squads left. Remember not to order all your units to the same position. That will end in a big crash. As long as you spread them out and advance carefully this mission isn't too hard.

Yep, don't make your units packed close together, I like to get my armour lined up for a charge directly southwest of the airfield and I make my infantry head with Hitman instead of your own division, Badger. Make use of your artillery strike on the airfield itself, that is the hardest part. Take it slow and steady too otherwise you'll get fucked up by choppers as well as the large ammount of tanks/Infantry.

Is there any way to call in the ammo trucks? If not, where are they located? using the "running out of ammo"-radio doesnt seem to work. maybe they are all dead already? I could hear my fellow units successfully call in support which was affirmed by HQ with something along the lines of "rearm-at-xxxxxx"

this mission is really awesome by the way, I find it pretty hard and thats usually a good thing :)

Edited by c0mmanderKeen

I managed to call in an ammo truck but it never showed up. I didnt have any HEAT or SABOT rounds left and my MG only had about 50 rounds left.

Supplies are located at your starting position. I always drove back to rearm because I wasn't able to call them in.

Supplies are located at your starting position. I always drove back to rearm because I wasn't able to call them in.

I was able to call ammo and they responded by saying that they were coming but they never got there. They might have if I would've given more time though. Driving back is probably a good idea though.

Im at this mission and dont have any problems commanding the units (CTRL + Space bar). I assume you are using F1,F2,F3,F4 to send them to different locations on the map.

Sticking to the roads also makes the units behave normally. Getting them to climb hills cross country can be problematic.

My problem is I cant seem to Repair or Re-arm using the support vehicles.

This mission is pretty tuff IMO. Happy hunting.

I experienced similar problems to the original poster but also with the repair/rearm not working. First couple of times I seemed to get some problems with the artillery not firing too but on my last attempt it did work.

As I said I had problems with the other teams driving like crazy as always and it seems ArmA2 still has a lot of path finding problems where units will seemingly driving around in circles or have no idea how to get from where they are to where you set their next waypoint, this is very noticeable when they get offroad or when there are buildings/objects close to the road. Example if you driving through a town and make a turn at an intersection they'll get stuck trying to get around the corner despite the fact its still road. I think AO has achieved a lot in fixing some of the problems of A2 vanilla but there still plenty of bugs with AI.

After 3 or 4 attempts I did manage to complete this fairly easily in the end, I only use the other 4 teams the clear out the oil plant and taking out enemy units around the towns leading to the airport. Once that was done I positioned my own tank between the two mine fields and started taking out enemy tanks, once I had taken a few out things got really easy, just kept putting plenty of firepower in to knock out everything I could see moving. After a while I'd knocked out quite a lot of tanks and the comms tower and started moving out along the runway moving back and forth hunting all the foot soldiers out that had jump out of their wrecked vehicles. I did enjoy the mission a lot as I did with all the AO missions but it did seem a little funny 1 lone tank taking on all those enemy tanks, APC's etc.

Edited by Engioc

I was able to call ammo and they responded by saying that they were coming but they never got there. They might have if I would've given more time though. Driving back is probably a good idea though.

How to you call the ammo trucks?

I'm playing OA 1.57. Repair support is not available to me at any time in the mission (even at start - no icon at right). Other units always call in for support at a location reported in the chat log. One time, I wrote that location down and went there later, and indeed there was a support truck there. A post above said that the support trucks are at the start location of the mission, implying that one can drive back there to get repaired. NOT TRUE for me, although it is possible that the trucks were there, and moved later when called in by another unit.