Sign in to follow this  
Homer Johnston

The name of this forum

How can we get the name of this forum changed? I'm really tired of reading new threads every day that should go in mission editing.

I think this forum should be "Terrain Editing (Visitor)" instead of "Map Editing (Visitor)" - anyone have other suggestions which could lead to less mistake posts?

Wolle, Hoz and Sniperwolf are our Resident Mods in this section... Normally I'd suggest a PM, but Wolle doesn't miss much... I'm sure he'll spot this thread and let us know if a title-change is practical or possible...

It's just the new Arrowhead recruits, of course - who don't know what goes where as yet, but the "Map" bit is used in a "missions" context in other games, so I fully agree that "Terrain", or even our traditional "Island" might be a better choice...

B

I support that idea. I'm guessing new people are under the impression visitor means visitor as in visiting people rather the terrain program itself.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, I can assume when new people see "(Visitor)" they think it is a forum for first timers to ask stupid questions :(

It is ridiculous that the term "map" has come to mean a mission or scenario in this game or any other game.

A "map" in a game is the virtual terrain that you play on, not the scenario/mission that you are playing.

I say don't conform to the stupidity of the masses.

If we start doing that then we end up with the movie "Idiocracy"

I say make a sticky topic in this forum explaining to people what a "map" is and what a "mission" is. (once again, it is ridiculous that this needs to be explained)

If they violate that rule or don't read the topic, they are banned, end of story.

Natural selection for the ignorant.

-My two cents

Edited by ADuke

Exactly my thought. I really have no idea how someone can come up with the idea that map == mission.

I mean I can figure from which corner that may come but uh... I keep that for me now.

I don't even Edit maps myself, but i do read these forums to pick up bits and peices of it, cause one day i do want to try my hand it, and yes it is a little bit annoying seeing alot of the MISSOIn editing questions being posted here

I don't even Edit maps myself, but i do read these forums to pick up bits and peices of it, cause one day i do want to try my hand it, and yes it is a little bit annoying seeing alot of the MISSOIn editing questions being posted here

Peoples that wrote about missions in this forum maybe (99% ?) doesn't have made any kind of search into the forum itself to see if their question has already have had a reply.

Changing forum name, imho, will not prevent those kind of peoples from writing their requests in the wrong forum.

Every new game out on the shelfs (OA in our case) requires a big effort by the moderators to keep forums ordered and clean by managing off topics.

This wave usually ends in some weeks. On the sand, at the end of this tsunami, will remain only the small part of users that is really interested in the map making and that probably has already read a big part of the forum.

that goes for other forums parts as well:

Current___________________________________________________Suggested

ArmA 2 & OA - MISSION EDITING & SCRIPTING.....................................ArmA 2 & OA : MISSIONS - Editing & Scripting

ArmA 2 & OA : CONFIGS AND SCRIPTING (Addons).................................ArmA 2 & OA : ADDONS - Configs & Scripting

ArmA 2 & OA : MAP EDITING (VISITOR)..............................................ArmA 2 & OA : TERRAIN - (Visitor)

ArmA 2 & OA : O2 MODELLING..........................................................ArmA 2 & OA : MODELLING - (O2)

ArmA 2 & OA : TOOLS TROUBLESHOOTING..........................................ArmA 2 & OA : BI TOOLS - TROUBLESHOOTING

I would also change the order of things a bit..

Edited by PuFu

Exactly my thought. I really have no idea how someone can come up with the idea that map == mission.

I mean I can figure from which corner that may come but uh... I keep that for me now.

People who have edited other games would probably see Map Editor as the Mission, as in other games you got a Map Editor that was everything Map and Mission.

So it is quite understandable how the mistake could be made, maybe a Native Operation Flashpoint translation post would help people who are new to the lingo.

:D

Native Operation Flashpoint

Good idea!... I call all terrains "islands" - can't help it... old OFP habit...

B

As I Homer has noticed, we're getting lots of "spam" in the Visitor thread and same goes for the "script" thread for addons. The editing sections needs a trim to head off these newbies.

I like Pufu edit ..... perfect.

It is ridiculous that the term "map" has come to mean a mission or scenario in this game or any other game.

A "map" in a game is the virtual terrain that you play on, not the scenario/mission that you are playing.

I say don't conform to the stupidity of the masses.

If we start doing that then we end up with the movie "Idiocracy"

Alright, fair enough. First, I loved the movie Idiocracy - instant classic. Second, let's consider your logic. I'll try looking up the definition of "map". From dictionary.com:

map

–noun

1. A representation, usually on a flat surface, as of the features of an area of the earth or a portion of the heavens, showing them in their respective forms, sizes, and relationships according to some convention of representation.

Now, just in case you've never seen the mission editor, here's a screen shot:

arma-2_4.jpg

You might notice something in particular: the mission editor gives you a representation on a flat surface of the (mission-author-placed) features of an area of the earth, showing them in their respective forms, sizes, and relationships according to some convention of representation. Furthermore, it allows you to edit these features. Thus, the mission editor is, by definition, a Map Editor. I'm not twisting any words. It's pretty simple why people use the word "map" for this, and why they're posting in this forum instead of the other editing forum.

So, now that that is out of the way: once again, can we give any consideration to having the forum name changed to remove this ambiguity, reduce moderator work, and improve the relevance of threads in this forum?

Alright, fair enough. First, I loved the movie Idiocracy - instant classic. Second, let's consider your logic. I'll try looking up the definition of "map". From dictionary.com:

Now, just in case you've never seen the mission editor, here's a screen shot:

arma-2_4.jpg

You might notice something in particular: the mission editor gives you a representation on a flat surface of the (mission-author-placed) features of an area of the earth, showing them in their respective forms, sizes, and relationships according to some convention of representation. Furthermore, it allows you to edit these features. Thus, the mission editor is, by definition, a Map Editor. I'm not twisting any words. It's pretty simple why people use the word "map" for this, and why they're posting in this forum instead of the other editing forum.

So, now that that is out of the way: once again, can we give any consideration to having the forum name changed to remove this ambiguity, reduce moderator work, and improve the relevance of threads in this forum?

:)

OK, OK,

I see your point, I'll be the first to admit that I was being harsh.

I guess it was a knee-jerk reaction to something that has bothered me for some time.

I guess it's a sign of getting older, someone challenges how you look @ your world and it throws you for a loop. :)

I'll go back to watching the violence channel and learn about how the "UN", "un-nazied" the world.

No worries mate, small slips of the mind happen. Keep drinking that Brawndo. ;)

I would be curious if the mods had any other opinions on this. I don't want to get caught up further in semantics over how people should interpret "Map Editor"; I just simply want to improve the forum.

Also, Pufu's suggested names for all of the editing forums would be very clear and concise, if we could get that improvement in place... :o

Homer, unfortunatly, although i posted in the Ask a moderator about the forum & rules about it, and Gnat, yourself and rundll.exe showed support on this issue, and i have even self-reported myself just to make sure the mods are aware of it, seems there is no reply from either of the moderators on this one.

Pity, especially since i wanted some feedback as well on it.

It is getting well harder to help other and yourself since the threads are all over the place, and while it is expected especially due to the subforum names being anything but concise, it is anything but easy to navigate around

pufu... messages on this thread are more than spam messages received until now...

maybe the problem is not so big? ;)

maybe the problem is not so big? ;)

I tend to disagree. I've been using these forums for a long time, and to be frank it should have been addressed years ago.

Sure, we'll survive without it, but I think the Mod's can see right now the results of the bad terms, lots of threads in the wrong spot.

I'm tempted to post in "you have posted in the wrong subforum" (as I've done before) because I hate to see peoples questions go unanswered ...... but theres too many at the moment.

Writing 'you're off topic' is not bad, but providing useful replies to off topic threads doesn't invite peoples to pay more attention to the thread topic.

I'm not aware of other than this section but you can say: post this on the correct section and i will reply there.

Finally the best option imho is moderator moving thread function used without limitations :)

The only way these names will change is if a miricle happens or one of the moderators takes some happy pills :D (joke btw :P)

But i agree with you guys they need changed for the benifit of the fourms! its not like were asking for new catogories or new sections of fourm.

Homer Johnston Interpretation of the word 'Map' was spot on the money and that is why people get confused lol

Edited by MattXR

I'm not aware of other than this section but you can say: post this on the correct section and i will reply there.

I am not gonna make this a really big issue, but just check the amount of post in the addons subforums, that are mission related.

If any mod would be willing to do that, i am certain that will make their life easier, as well as ours.

PS: where is wolle when you need him

it isn't a big issue.. its just something mods needs to do.

Seriously, mods please change it as Pufu suggested in the first page of this thread.. come on.

it isn't a big issue.. its just something mods needs to do.

Seriously, mods please change it as Pufu suggested in the first page of this thread.. come on.

GranQ give it a rest already! like W0lle has said:

reported it twice and now you make another thread about it

You all should read what W0lle has said about this issue also:

We have noticed the request to rename the forums. We might rename it or even not but stop making a drama out of this.

Its not going to do anything just moaning about it!

Also a mod should lock this thread too if the other ones about this stupid issue are being locked too.

Also a mod should lock this thread too if the other ones about this stupid issue are being locked too.

There's nothing stupid about the issue or suggestion, nor is there any reason for this thread to be locked. Please don't exaggerate the amount of "drama" involved, and please don't confuse "drama" with awareness. This thread and the replies within it are doing nothing more than bringing awareness to a well-reasoned and rational suggestion. The moderators are free to make use of it, or be conservative and ignore it.

Edited by Homer Johnston