Sign in to follow this  
echo_2-7

DLC- What do YOU want?

Clearly we need to have BIS spend all their time making every conceivable weapon, uniform and vehicle. If only we had one of the most active modding communities for any PC game, and a developer who is highly supportive of said community...

Oh wait! We do!

Yeah good point, rather they focus on things that cannot be provided for by this awesome modding community, there is already a great british mod and a ton of others are already provided for by said community

I think interesting new features would be better (like shooting from inside a vehicle).

Yeah, do like!

Ok so we got a British Forces Pack with Woodland and Desert units. Now, I wanna get Woodland US Army and Desert USMC and Desert Russia!

I agree we need the woodland camo US, reskins for the Bradley, Stryker but I think that these reskins should only be available to owners of Combined Operations and they should be free. Controversial? Not really when you think about it. Those of us who have already bought both games should have them properly combined to make the factions transferrable to all the maps included with the BIS content.

That's what I think should be a free DLC, and soon. I would happily pay for:

New maps (a massive two island map with two proper airbases designed for warfare would be good :D ) or serious upgrades to current ones... Expanding Chernarus would be nice, it's very easy to run out of space in a fast jet.

New factions or large number of units for an existing one.

"Proper" flightmodels and avionics simulations (I don't want to spend 15 minutes starting an aircraft but not just dropping out of the sky when performing a tight turn would be nice)

suggestion: Implement a simulated dedicated/server environment direct into the Editor.

Now, its taking too much time for testing mp missions with starting a server and upload the mission for testing... and again and again and again

I'd like to see an end to this DLC scheme. Not that BIS is acting in a nefarious way, but the idea of producing mods as product. There are so many core improvements needed and wanted, that a new release would be more than welcome by the community.

But if you want to know what I want to see in ArmA?:

1. 3D Editor as a main menu item.
  2. All objects placeable in the editor.
  3. Ability to manipulate island objects via scripting. i.e. Delete Buildings that were placed in Visitor.

Those are just my top three.

;1700541']

But if you want to know what I want to see in ArmA?:

1. 3D Editor as a main menu item.
  2. All objects placeable in the editor.
  3. Ability to manipulate island objects via scripting. i.e. Delete Buildings that were placed in Visitor.

Those are just my top three.

Also this.

My only wish is to NOT announce a sequel to ArmA2 for at least 2 years as the whole community suffers from lack of motivation to create custom contet due to that....

In the meantime I would like to see free patches adding the previous mentioned new features and pay-DLC made by BIS, adding a whole new Chinese/East Asian faction.

I´m really bored of the ever going USA vs. Russia scene :hang:

I'd re-buy ArmA 2 with all the OA options (flashlights and working PEQs when applicable) along with having every weapon have every combination of optics and attachments. I want an M4 with just an ACOG. A Mk-17 EOTech/EGLM. M14 ACOG. M16 EOTech. Sure, a lot of configs would be redundant, but dammit I want them!

More islands would be welcome too (along with properly camouflaged units to match). A nice jungle island. African island. Snow island. Anything with more places for destruction!

New factions are also always welcome. I'd love to see the British (complete with SAS), Australian, Chinese, Canadian, French, and more, even if it was just basic classes as long as they have the proper weapons and look with at least some sort of armor or transportation.

I want it all! Sure mods can (and have) deliver all that, but I'd gladly pay for some of this stuff. Especially if they updated the animations for things like reloading, especially on a gun to gun basis.

I'd like some jungle islands and some PT boats and some floatplanes or amphibious planes like the Catalina. Sharks, crocodiles, tides and dugout canoes would be fun too in that environment.

My only wish is to NOT announce a sequel to ArmA2 for at least 2 years

Or more. Arma 2 has plenty of mileage left in it, the graphics are really really good if you turn them up as high as they can go and it will be a while before everyone has a rig that can do that. I think concentrating on minor releases like OA style standalones or DLC like the BAF pack is the way to go for now. Let's not forget that producing extra units in the form of paid DLC and then releasing Arma 3 too soon will piss off a large portion of the community.

Anyway on the subject of what we'd like in a DLC, I'd love a scenario based around a South American country where the US sends in the SEALS or some other special forces to help attack the rebels (or government depending on how the CIA is feeling) to restabilize the country. In this DLC pack we could have:

New map:

[insertcountrynamehere] mountain and jungle/rain forest terrain

New units:

AC-130

OV-10 Bronco

SEAL operators and support units

(insert other unit types here)

Government militia and rebel forces of [insertcountrynamehere]

Engine improvements:

Firing from passenger positions in vehicles

Breaching charges

Flashbangs

The campaign could include close protection of a VIP and prisoner retrieval to attacking enemy facilities and ground targets. Jungle patrols would be awesome with the right ambient sounds... If BIS fancied sending me to peru for a few weeks I'd happily capture all the sounds for them :D

CH-46E Seaknight and CH-53E Super Stallion in USMC colours (BI got them in VBS, C-130 was brought from there too), preferably not in a payed DLC but in a patch.

I suggested this before, but I lost that post:

Karzeghistani army (southern neighbour of Takistan) with G3 rifles, M60 Patton (or Chieftain/Centurion), and AH-1F HueyCobra (box cockpit), and a map in their country representing a bit whealthier, western-allied country, something similar to Al Khafji. And a scenario/mini campaign based on the events in that city in the First Gulf War.

The resurrection of BMP-1.

Above mentioned jungle themed map would be nice (although I admit would be verrrrry slow&laggy).

some armored SPGs (2S1, M109, PzH2000)

Edited by Banderas

I agree we need the woodland camo US, reskins for the Bradley, Stryker but I think that these reskins should only be available to owners of Combined Operations and they should be free. Controversial? Not really when you think about it. Those of us who have already bought both games should have them properly combined to make the factions transferrable to all the maps included with the BIS content.

That's what I think should be a free DLC, and soon...

I am willing to pay for that as I am fairly certain that BIS texture artists don't live from fresh air alone. And who knows when Maruk has let them out the last time to see the sun - ah well, seeing a sunrise in ArmA2 will probably already do for them...

If such "compatibility" upgrades of old content is only accepted as free by everybody, then there is more profitability for BIS in doing completely new stuff instead of messing with the old content... And at the end, profatibility must be key measurement for BIS if they want to stay in the business...

Well a inbetween map that stitches the AA2 and AOH maps together... I have plenty of guns,tanks,chopper and planes for now...

not just a DLC with few new units for 10E, but something big like Arrowhead even if it's more expensive.

Maybe extend the country list with something like China versus Korea or Japan, with new Guerrila and civ units too

Im tired of the focus only on US/BRITISH, if they going to provide DLC then it would be great to see some variety...

Also i think it would be interesting if they provided smaller but more detailed maps with real urban areas and in different geographical areas, maybe about twice the size of Utes, new maps keep any games alive.

DLC:

I would like to download a DLC with several really good and professional COOP missions. For example a pack of then big and good coop missions for 5 to 10 bucks.

How about a marine pack with carriers, and battleships that are actually functional. Steerable, lots of turrets, artillery with a good interface, ready to transport other vehicles such as tanks and what not... maybe even a submarine and a new map with multiple islands.

That would be something totally refreshing, just imagine a warefare match in such an environment. XD

carriable objects, deployable barb wire, shooting out of vehicles with your own weapons

I would like to see a realistic "soldiers" campaign. I'm happy to see that some community members have started to create more realistic missions and campaigns based on real war reports or personal experiences. e.g. Afghan War Diaries missions...

I would also like to see more of the VBS2 features put into the game. It's the same tech, so why not. Like DieAngel said, Placeable barbed wire, shooting out of cars. They are all features in the RV engine so I can't see why they are not incorporated in the game version.

My only wish is to NOT announce a sequel to ArmA2 for at least 2 years as the whole community suffers from lack of motivation to create custom contet due to that....

I can sorta understand that, but personally I think to delay overall progress that everyone (not just modders and mod users) would enjoy, so that modder stay motivated would be a mistake. Not to mention in a business world BIS would likely never hold back a game for the sake of allowing the mod community to work on a previous one... it would be a waste of money.

As for what I would want to see with DLC... well, Id rather not see any DLC to be honest. ArmA2 and AO were a good step up from ArmA1... but there is still a ton of issues with the core engine and a lot of things that could be added. Id rather see full blow expansions or even sequels that advance the game as a whole, and don't just add some new eye candy... because lets face it, thats all most DLC ever is. If I download a pack of British soldiers to use in AO... Im still just playing AO with different units and the gameplay has had zero added to it. Not to mention I can get the experience of new units/campaigns/missions/islands from the mod community with near the same quality and don't need to shell out $7-10 for it. So I personally would like to see BIS stick to doing sequels and full expansions that work on the core game and fix/add things the mod community cannot do... something I really don't see happening with small DLC.

As a brief side note: Im also against DLC in a heavily modded game as a matter of principle. Any units that BIS wish to sell to the community (the British pack for example) can be damn near copied by the modders and released for free. This is a problem that has been faced by other companies in the past. Infinity Ward for example... when they talked about selling a map pack for COD4 the PC mapping community simply said they would copy the maps and release them for free. This forced IW to eventually give the map pack out for free... but IW learned from that mistake and simply removed mod support. Now the community has no choice but to buy their maps packs if they want new maps. So the point is, if a developer is intent on releasing DLC the biggest threat to sales are quite possibly their own modding community. Now do I really think BIS would yank mod support from future games if their ArmA2 DLC fails, or is copied by the community? No, I don't think they would. However, Id still rather not find out what happens should BIS try the DLC rout and it tanks really bad for them... becasue in the end, money/profit is king and anything is possible.