Sign in to follow this  
henrique_rp

Any suggestions on optimizing AI-controlled Aircraft?

Hello guys,

I'm relentlessly trying to find a good way to optimize to way AI fly in Operation Arrowhead.

Due to the mountainous characteristic of the new terrain the AI is unbelievably prone to crashing especially when attacking targets that I've designated with the laser marker.

The Harrier seems to be the worst of all as it never survives past the third bombing run and will always crash on the hillside. Sometimes it'll blow itself up on the first bombing run. Talk about suicidal attacks. :butbut:

I've tried the command flyinheight, but all the time thy engage targets they will disregard that init command. I've tried to set the speed at waypoint to fast, but again, as soon as it starts attacking, it'll slow to a crawl and will start flying too low which will 9 out of 10 times result in it smashing on the hill ahead of him.

The helos have a similar problem. They don't tend to crash too much, but they fly way too low and at very slow speeds, which simply turns them into cannon fodder for the tanks and stationary weapons.

Thus, the problems I've had no luck in sorting out are:

1) When designating targets with the laser marker for the Harrier it'll never get past the third bombing run and it'll always crash onto the hillside.

2) Choppers fly way too low and overfly enemy tanks only to be fired at and destroyed.

2) Both planes and choppers fly way too slow and don't seem to obey the speed parameter set at the waypoint or altitude set at flyinheight.

I wonder why BIS never tried and implemented a more aggressive behavior for the pilot AI's so they flew faster and higher. It has been a good few years since both games have been released and it seems the very same problems with the pilot AI's are still being dragged from previous versions of the game.

Both are good games but its function-dependency on Artificial Intelligence which doesn't seem to be improved with new patches is incredibly frustrating. :butbut:

So guys, are there any good scripting commands or mods which could help and assist in making the AI pilots a bit more interesting and effective while in combat? I'd really appreciate any help. :colgate:

I want to know too, how to fix this weird problem with flyinheight and planes....

close waypoints fail

pilot disableAI fail

pilot setskill 0 fail

What more to test?

=(

About time aircraft In ARMA franchise used the airspace just like real life aircraft do theirs no need for them to fly at 300ft then dive bomb like stuka dive bombers.