Sign in to follow this  
Sniper101-2

Server browser only showing OA servers...

I installed OA correctly (also own Arma 2), and I now run the game from a Combined Operations icon. But when I pull up the server browser im only getting OA servers, and no vanilla Arma 2 servers. I have checked my filter options and everything seems to be set up correctly.

Am I missing something here?

My guess would be version differences.

So if you want to play servers running ArmA2 binaries (v1.07), you'd have to start ArmA2 and not Combined Operation. Starting CO will probably start A2OA (v1.52) with the possibility to run A2 content.

Might be totally wrong though.

Surprised no one posted a concrete answer on this. I figured it would be setup like the battlefield series. Once you bought an expansion it would show all the servers including the non expansion servers. Although, once you selected a vanilla server it would restart the game. But it was still helpful.

I did notice that when you open the filter and toggle the "show/dont show expansions" option. That it has no effect on what servers are shown. Which leads me to believe that its supposed to be pulling all the servers in the que. Is this feature broken atm?

If it does not work this way, any chance of it being added in a future patch? It’s kind of a pain having to switch back and forth between games when trying to find a good pvp match.

I was at work while writing my reply but it would probably take you about 1 minute to test.

So I tested it for you:

- If you launch ArmA2.exe (currently v1.07), you will only see ArmA2 servers.

- If you launch ArmA2OA.exe (currently v1.52), you will only see ArmA2OA servers.

Which all makes sense.

Only difference for Combined Operations from a mp pov:

- A2OA servers might include content (maps, vehicles etc) from A2

- A2 server will not include content from A2OA

Battlefield series works quite differently:

- Special Forces still launches the vanilla bf2.exe but with a flag for loading SF as a mod.

- Expansion packs (AF and EF) are just map packs integrated in the vanilla content.

Edited by =WFL= Sgt Bilko

ARMA 2 is now on engine build 1.07

ARMA 2:OA is now on engine build 1.52

1.52 is not backwardward compatible with 1.07

A2:OA client will see only A2:OA servers

A2:CO client will see only A2:OA and A2:CO servers ...

*CO is sort of like A2:OA with A2 data as mod

So in short to have the best of both worlds we should load our server as a Arma 2, Combined Operations Server then, to be able to play in both enviroments?

So in short to have the best of both worlds we should load our server as a Arma 2, Combined Operations Server then, to be able to play in both enviroments?

From reading above there if you have a CO server, only CO clients would see it, not anyone with the standalone OA client?

So basically BIS has shattered the community into three segments, none of which can play with each other anymore? ArmA vs OA vs CO/OA? I hope I'm reading that wrong. :o

From reading above there if you have a CO server, only CO clients would see it, not anyone with the standalone OA client?

So basically BIS has shattered the community into three segments, none of which can play with each other anymore? ArmA vs OA vs CO/OA? I hope I'm reading that wrong. :o

No I believe you are quite right. This is serious bull, to have to go to this extent to play with old and new players.

If you have Arma up in whatever version, you should see ALL the servers and be limited or filter out the ones availible to your version.

CO should be playable with everyone because thats why it costs more right?

This whole release from the multiplayer perspective has done nothing but split the community and once again forcethe community to do alot of work for free just to get this program usable for all.

The Steam issues should have never happened, the constant version pop up when the OA patch should have updated everything.

I cant see most of the servers and I cant even get into my own server in plan vanilla Arma2 because of a vfersion mismatch that really doesnt exist.

Can someone explain to me why this has been such a difficult process when the 3rd party community has been modding up ARMA for a decade, BIS cant really create a usable mod for all.

Yes an already small community is being fragmented even more.:confused:

This is a pretty big issue really, more so for the american players. Our player base is allready small and its hard enough to find a good match, now there are three different versions that are in play?

Why was it done this way, it just does not make any sense. Im no game designer or anyhting, but there has to be a better solution than this.

what i said is that A2 client can't play on OA:CO server because it's OA build of engine

OA client should be able play as long as the server is not using any A2 content ...

e.g. it's like with mods

what i said is that A2 client can't play on OA:CO server because it's OA build of engine

OA client should be able play as long as the server is not using any A2 content ...

e.g. it's like with mods

Yes, but if you have a CO server, OA only players won't even see the server right? So they could play on it, but it won't appear in their server browser?

If it's like mods, it really should work the same way as mods. Like tractorking said, make every version of A2/OA/CO be able to see all A2/OA/CO servers and be able to filter by that, but you just can't connect if you don't have a compatible version (like the red X if your version is wrong, you still see the server, just can't connect to it.)

Yes, but if you have a CO server, OA only players won't even see the server right?

No, I think this is what Dwarden is trying to say:

- OA (and CO) players will NOT see A2 servers. They are running different exe version.

- A2 players will NOT see CO (or OA) servers. They are running different exe versions.

- OA (and CO) players will see CO (and OA) servers. They are running same exe version.

- A2 players will see A2 servers. They are running same exe version.

Whether they can actually connect in the last two examples is a matter of content/mods used on server.