Sign in to follow this  
andromedagalaxe

failed mission erases all your saves

What the hell ... this feature is really annoying. I was doing the OA mission where you're in the Apache and I was just taking it back to refuel and rearm (which it says in the briefing you are allowed to do!!!) when all of a sudden the mission ends saying I failed. Now I have to replay the whole damn thing...

The reason it took so damn long is the ULB won't f---ing fly straight, it keeps circling and takes 5 minutes to calm down long enough to laze a target. Why can't it just fly straight to the waypoint you give it?

ugh, really frustrated right now

Edited by andromedagalaxe

The same thing (mission ending) happened to me in the same mission (Apache) in the same situation (rearming) after running out of the same time (like 40 minutes)

I copied and renamed all my saves, so they wouldnt get deleted.

Your talking about Scenarios or campaign missions? The ULB can fly straight and fine for me. Are you sure you have a legal copy of the game?

Edited by Nicholas

Your talking about Scenarios or campaign missions? The ULB can fly straight and fine for me. Are you sure you have a legal copy of the game?

He is talking about the campaign and i can confirm I had my own share of frustration using that unmanned flying egg, However I ended up using a cheat to skip that mission as the UAV was more and more out of control and completely useless in the end...

1. campaign.

2. Yes, downloaded from Steam for $39.99 ...

Confirm, it's the way ArmA mid-mission saves work. Only an "in progress" mission has saves for it. If a mission is 0% or 100% complete then it is considered "not done yet" or "completed." Having a mission resolve (failure, success) means that the mission stops being the current mission and no saves are remembered.

I also experienced the "everything going fine fade to black" thing in the Open Season mission which caused me to have to retry it 2-3 times. Eventually I learned what the mission wanted me to do (hover at 800m 3-6km away from the threat zone and use the ULB exclusively to command launches.) After I learned how it wanted to be completed it's a 10 minute ordeal.

The reason it took so damn long is the ULB won't f---ing fly straight, it keeps circling and takes 5 minutes to calm down long enough to laze a target. Why can't it just fly straight to the waypoint you give it?

ugh, really frustrated right now

Maybe you should just learn how to use it? If you want it to fly straight towards a waypoint, rotate it to face that direction first. Also, you should keep it low to the ground behind cover and wait for it to stop before popping up and lazing the target. It takes some practice, but once you figure it out it's really not that difficult to control.

I also experienced the "everything going fine fade to black" thing in the Open Season mission which caused me to have to retry it 2-3 times. Eventually I learned what the mission wanted me to do (hover at 800m 3-6km away from the threat zone and use the ULB exclusively to command launches.) After I learned how it wanted to be completed it's a 10 minute ordeal.

I've had success by just going straight up from FARP Winchester and shooting from there. It's too bad that the Hellfires move in a straight line rather than a parabolic arc, that way terrain wouldn't be such a barrier to success.

Yeah the arching flight profile of the Hellfire (and the Javelin too while they're at it, right now it fires way too flat to even be direct fire, never mind normal profile) would be very nice. Considering that AI can't engage beyond 3000m no matter what from what I can tell being 3001m away in line of sight is impunity.

Also the ULB is rather dumb in flight sometimes, taking the super-scenic route from A to B. There's no "learning to use it" it's just a quirk in the pathfinding.

Confirm, it's the way ArmA mid-mission saves work. Only an "in progress" mission has saves for it. If a mission is 0% or 100% complete then it is considered "not done yet" or "completed." Having a mission resolve (failure, success) means that the mission stops being the current mission and no saves are remembered.

Absolutly stupid and should have been changed in 2008.

That Campaign mission, I lost the little bird in the first 2 minutes, so decided to stalk behind enemy lines in the Apache. All objectives complete first time through, only detected once. I suspect it was far better than sitting miles away and popping GRADS like in a shooting gallery... You should try that.

The hellfire doesn't fire right in Arma.

In real life (according to Ed Macy) it leaves the hardpoint and climbs. It then dives onto the target at an angle of about 60 degrees. If the target is impossible to hit like that you dive the aircraft at the target (sometimes) and fire a hellfire so it hits before it can take it's normal approach.

Try enabling "unlimited saves" from difficulty menu, then you can save different saves.

You should get 2 "AH-6X" ULBs. If the first one dies there is a backup.

The Hellfire has 4 flight profiles and all of them arch to some degree. I think the Hellfire II with a sophisticated platform (longbow?) can sling a Hellfire downrange to simple GPS coordinates in order to have it acquire local lasing for terminal effect.

Maybe you should just learn how to use it? If you want it to fly straight towards a waypoint, rotate it to face that direction first. Also, you should keep it low to the ground behind cover and wait for it to stop before popping up and lazing the target. It takes some practice, but once you figure it out it's really not that difficult to control.

Maybe BIS just screwed up with the UAV's?

Oh wait, ofcourse they didn't, its always the players fault.

all I did was turn up my view distance to 4500 and turn on my FLIR and had my apache chillin at 350 meters altitude.

I zoomed in with the uav and lase targets from 2k+.

Was a piece of cake, but before I changed view distance, that mission was a bitch and a half.

Danny;1672820']Absolutly stupid and should have been changed in 2008.

At the very least the "mission failed" status should keep you in the mission and give you a chance to load an earlier mission. Right now a failed mission closes the mission, erases all the saves, changes the locks, and acquires a restraining order.