Toasticuss

[OA]A few guns need zeroing....

While choosing load outs for soldiers on a mission in the editor, I came across a few weapons that had amazing red dot sights I wanted to use. Unfortunately it looks as if BIS had not finished finalizing the zeroing of the scope and it shoots a foot higher then the dot.

All of the M4s and a few others do this.

M4A3_RCO_GL_EP1

M4A3 CCO

M4A3_CCO_EP1

Can anyone confirm that this was fixed in the patch? I'm currently using the stock version of Arrow Head

If needed I can provide a video of proof.

Also, where the heck is the love for the M16? Only Iron Sights for Arrow Head? That's a shame.

Edited by Toasticuss

I haven't used those regularly yet, but make sure your shooting at the range those are sighted in for. The trajectory is portrayed in the game, which means that depending on how it is sighted, you might see it a bit higher or lower than it should be.

An extreme example of this would be the VSS Vintorez from Arma 2. Substantial arc in the trajectory means than within about 50m the redicule is quite abit lower than where the shot will hit.

I never noticed this - note they are sighted for 300m. I'll check next time I use the weapon.

if you shoot at a target that is closer than the range the weapon is sighted in for, the shot will very likely land above the reticle.

Also, where the heck is the love for the M16? Only Iron Sights for Arrow Head? That's a shame.

Hi, the m16 family had many variants in basic arma2 as they were the main armament for the USMC. In Arrowhead the army uses mainly the SCAR, So if ou want the m16s ranging from the ironsighted A2s to fully tuned ACOG/M203 A4s you will have to buy vanilla ARMA2 or go the combined operations way :)

Should of bought ArmA2 or Combined Ops ;) :yay:

Should of bought ArmA2 or Combined Ops ;) :yay:

Yeah but seeing as the primary weapon of the US Army is the M16 I don't see the point of not adding that in from ArmA2.

I don't like using the Scar, its too quiet and theirs not enough pop to it.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

I never noticed this - note they are sighted for 300m. I'll check next time I use the weapon.

Why in the world would you ever sight a red dot for 300 meters lol?

Edited by Toasticuss

I like the way the M14 pulls to the left, gives it a personality.

Yeah but seeing as the primary weapon of the US Army is the M16 I don't see the point of not adding that in from ArmA2.

Most of the new weapons in OA have integrated sound/flash suppressors so that's why they sound different. Shoot an MG or the M16A2 and they will definitely be louder.

As for red-dots sighted in @ 300m...I don't think that's true either. IIRC they were 100-150m in Arma2

Not exactly related but the M110 SD only zeroes for 100, 200, and 300m. A 7.62mm sniper rifle that has a maximum adjustment for 300m....

Not exactly related but the M110 SD only zeroes for 100, 200, and 300m. A 7.62mm sniper rifle that has a maximum adjustment for 300m....

That's because it's SD (silenced); so it uses sub-sonic ammunition that doesn't have near the range of regular ammo

edit: read THIS thread for a little better description

Edited by No Use For A Name

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

in game, in an alternate reality, in hte future, the standard issue is the SCAR..

SCAR sounds:

r_V2wvk2F6A

In game version seems to be completely lacking the "bang". It sounds like "quality", but somehow I just find it very very lacking.

And for the silenced one (mike in front of weapon though):

CM3WMQIrl1s

in game, in an alternate reality, in hte future, the standard issue is the SCAR..
I admit to having been disappointed at this change (to the SCAR as "standard" in OA) at first... then it became LOL-worthy with the news that real-world USSOCOM "canceled" the Mk 16 "SCAR-L." :D

(According to Military.com's Kit Up! blog, technically the SCAR program is on, but USSOCOM had chosen to stop buying any more of the Mk 16 and eliminate them from inventory, while continuing with planned buys of the Mk 17. The Mk 16 might "survive" through a 5.56x45mm conversion kit for the Mk 17. The version I heard for the whole thing was the Mk 16 not being enough of an improvement to justify expense... understandable, considering that its "standard" and "long barrel" versions were shorter than the M4A1 and M16A4 barrels respectively.)

While choosing load outs for soldiers on a mission in the editor, I came across a few weapons that had amazing red dot sights I wanted to use. Unfortunately it looks as if BIS had not finished finalizing the zeroing of the scope and it shoots a foot higher then the dot.

All of the M4s and a few others do this.

M4A3_RCO_GL_EP1

M4A3 CCO

M4A3_CCO_EP1

Can anyone confirm that this was fixed in the patch? I'm currently using the stock version of Arrow Head

If needed I can provide a video of proof.

M16/m203 is horrendously offtarget and has been since Arma2.

-k

The M14 sight is bugged/not zeroed as well.

It hits quite far away from the dot. Not above or below the dot, but beside the dot.

Yes, the impact point is to the LEFT of dot.

in game, in an alternate reality, in the future, the standard issue is the SCAR..

Um... what? Outside of SOF and the 75th Rangers... no?

*facepalm* because... thats where it is useful? thats where they are suppose to be zeroed? idiot

i have accepted the fact that the mk16 is standard in OA, despite liking the m4/m16 better. after all, we accepted that the russians got the 107 as standard

In ArmA2 the reddots were BZ'd to 100m while the ironsights were BZ'd to 300m. (M16/M4) This makes perfect sense. The close combat optic is BZ'd to a close combat distance. A close combat optic zeroed to a long range is... weird.

I thought only the silenced assault weapons were zeroed at 100m. But "out there", a 200m zero isn't uncommon especially if you shoot at civilian ranges where the 50m "trajectory match" (?) would be perfect. But I also thought 300m was the "common" thing to do. The benefit of an ACOG (other than zoom) is that the builtin BDC makes it easier to shoot longer. Recently learned about the 5.56s flat trajectories within these ranges; maximum height above zero is only 50mm, who cares if you hit a guy in the forehead or his nose - he's going down. For any target below 300m, just put the dot on the target and you'll hit (err, should hit :p).

I thought dot sights could replace iron sights in any condition and provide an advantage to sighting time (no parallax above 50m). They're very useful for close combat, but that's not their only use afaik.

Besides that I hope some more weapons can be adjusted in the near future (especially the vintorez, oh boy, oh boy!), because it's really that usefull and adds to gameplay, I'd like to see the zeroing distance for weapons that can not be adjusted too - at least on easy difficulty. Maybe gray it out slightly to indicate that it's fixed.

Besides that I hope some more weapons can be adjusted in the near future (especially the vintorez, oh boy, oh boy!), because it's really that usefull and adds to gameplay, I'd like to see the zeroing distance for weapons that can not be adjusted too - at least on easy difficulty. Maybe gray it out slightly to indicate that it's fixed.

Well you can use the pageup and down keys to adjust sniper zeroing on the fly just not regular scopes, which I bet could be ported through a mod. Since all it is, is just a script thats on the snipers.

*facepalm* because... thats where it is useful? thats where they are suppose to be zeroed? idiot

i have accepted the fact that the mk16 is standard in OA, despite liking the m4/m16 better. after all, we accepted that the russians got the 107 as standard

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/940/arma2oa2010070618131160.jpg

I didnt really see the point until now, but I guess its kind of useful. Don't need to call people idiots just because they don't know as much as you.

Edited by Toasticuss

I thought only the silenced assault weapons were zeroed at 100m. But "out there", a 200m zero isn't uncommon especially if you shoot at civilian ranges where the 50m "trajectory match" (?) would be perfect. But I also thought 300m was the "common" thing to do. The benefit of an ACOG (other than zoom) is that the builtin BDC makes it easier to shoot longer. Recently learned about the 5.56s flat trajectories within these ranges; maximum height above zero is only 50mm, who cares if you hit a guy in the forehead or his nose - he's going down. For any target below 300m, just put the dot on the target and you'll hit (err, should hit :p).

I thought dot sights could replace iron sights in any condition and provide an advantage to sighting time (no parallax above 50m). They're very useful for close combat, but that's not their only use afaik.

The Aimpoint sights are minimal parallax. The EOTechs are the closest to zero parallax but of course cost much, much more and use a more sophisticated optical technique. It would be nice if BIS did reflector/holographic sights justice... and 6DOF TrackIR support for all vehicles/men.

As far as I know, unit SOP for BZ on CCOs is 0-100m maybe up to 150m, 50m being rather common.

Notice that BZs less than a certain range are actually where the trajectory intersects upward through the sight line. So in reality when one zeros for a range less than the range-at-maximum-ordinate (~150m) you're really zeroing for two ranges, the near intersection and the far intersection. Sight height makes a big difference as well. Nice low sights mean a smaller range of angular sight/barrel differences in general. A CCO perched atop a carry handle is going to be much more sensitive to changes.